Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2016, 05:13 AM   #76
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thing is, things like Spif and rep coverage are decisions made at the retail end of the chain, not in Japan. $50 might be the entire distributor markup on a camera body. Who knows? But I understand your point. I owned retail stores (my father did) when I was younger.

03-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Lozeau... I took the opportunity to talk to a representative about the K1. I asked if there was some anticipation building up before the official launch and if the staff members were excited about it in any way. He said no and explained he didn't care much about Pentax ff lenses. He was saying how there were no lenses at all for the ff but old legacy lenses. We talked a bit about it but it seemed convinced the lens selection made it a very bad choice. He also said that the Pentax rep doesn't offer any service at all and that they weren't giving a pre production unit to play with.
And yet, Lozeau will be highlighting the K-1 at the upcoming Outdoor Adventure and Travel Show in Montreal (thanks to PF member Doundounba for passing this tip in another thread - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/317271-k-1-demo-day-camerastore.html).

Seems that that Lozeau staff member is either anti-Pentax or unaware.

- Craig
03-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Anyone who pays a $500 deposit for an unknown product at an unknown price is very trusting.
Very lusting, I think...

---------- Post added 03-27-16 at 10:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
For the love of god Pentax, I know it is tempting after the announcement of the Nikon D5, but do NOT put a touchscreen on the K-1 - they never work when it is raining.
I suppose the argument is always that the touchscreen can be not used. I imagine there would be nothing touchscreen-able that couldn't be otherwise done.

Anyway, I think I will get along fine without touchscreen and I don't want one, either.

I find they don't work well for me when my fingers get cold. I have to rub fingertips on cloth to friction heat them.

As far as water, I remember being kerplunked when I first tried to use a smart phone with damp fingers; I had stored travel infos I couldn't access and I was unhappy. I have learned to get along with the smart phone [in a Dr. Strayed-love kind of way].. I made an otter case out of a Ziploc baggy and robin egg blue duct tape. With wet digits, I am able to use the screen through the bag. I think not all touchscreens work well through a baggie. Anyone is free to use this idea with their Ixus or u4/3 or etc.

---------- Post added 03-27-16 at 11:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
There are fewer electronics is a DSLR than a smartphone. The sensor is the big issue. The Pentax model seems to purchase SONY sensors after they hit the market, when the pricing is optimal for Ricoh. Moore's Law is finally slowing down for chips, but not for sensors. Phase One is introducing a 100MP back. For a FF, whatever SONY sensor Pentax has will be easily good enough.
Curious... maybe the thought here is that a smart phone has a camera built in plus all the extra phone bits so it must have more stuff inside..?

As far as I know, much of the phoneyness is contained in few parts. The radios and etc. are part of the chipset... I don't think there are separate bits for each feature.

In any case, many phone-less cameras have GPS or BT or etc.
The only thing they lack are GSM or whichever radios. And on-board storage..
As pointed out, the SLR adds separate components for focus and viewfinder info display and more buttons and dials and other mechanical things. Maybe the SLR has fewer electronics... but certainly more stuff.

Last edited by Tan68; 03-27-2016 at 08:49 AM.
03-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #79
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
About Lozeau (biggest camera store in Montreal (maybe Canada) with absolutely everything for pro photo and pro video) and the K1. I was there yesterday helping a friend pick up her first camera and I took the opportunity to talk to a representative about the K1. I asked if there was some anticipation building up before the official launch and if the staff members were excited about it in any way.
He said no and explained he didn't care much about Pentax ff lenses. He was saying how there were no lenses at all for the ff but old legacy lenses. We talked a bit about it but it seemed convinced the lens selection made it a very bad choice. He also said that the Pentax rep doesn't offer any service at all and that they weren't giving a pre production unit to play with. He then looked into his computer to see how Many units his boss ordered. 12. I asked if those were pre orders, and nope, according to his inventory, not a single K1 had been preordered at the store.
Not that I care much if Pentax is a popular brand or not, but it still surprises me that such an amazing camera would get no preorder at all.
Hmmmmm. Methinks the salesman was ill-informed.

Lozeau Montreal K-1 Demo Day with Pentax Rep.

03-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Or wanted to push another brand.
03-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #81

Lozeau is big on Nikon, and their Pentax display is pretty empty...when your lucky you can talk to a well informed salesman, i even talked to one that was using Pentax a couple years ago. My guess is that if the K1 makes a little stir in the market, they will fill up the display and push a bit more. Last week i chatted with a salesman there and he told me they tested the 24-70 and they were really impressed, We might not be far from the exposure Pentax deserves in stores, and that could help a lot.
03-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Seems that that Lozeau staff member is either anti-Pentax or unaware
Much like most other camera stores in Québec: clueless about any Pentax/Ricoh products.
03-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Remember salespeoples are like us, they like one brand and push it. For me Lozeau is not bad but many of their salespeoples think they know everything. Gosselin photo was good with Pentax until they were able to sell Nikon , now Pentax they dont care.

03-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Remember salespeoples are like us, they like one brand and push it. For me Lozeau is not bad but many of their salespeoples think they know everything. Gosselin photo was good with Pentax until they were able to sell Nikon , now Pentax they dont care.
Sounds familiar !
And when you are "out in the boonies" like we are here, forget about anybody really knowing anything decent about camera gear.
That is when Pentax Forums comes in handy.
04-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #85

Original Poster
This is more than disheartening since I was even given a price range for a preorder. Pentax could have a good thing going with the K-1, but not if clerks at retail don't show it.