Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'll see your Nigerian prince and raise you one African general's widow, one doctor, and one exiled tribal chief.
I'll raise you an Arab oil sheikh looking for a wife, an Indian family trying to reclaim the Koh-I-noor which was allegedly stolen from them by the British, the winning numbers for the next Spanish lottery, and some red mercury.

01-01-2016, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'll raise you an Arab oil sheikh looking for a wife, an Indian family trying to reclaim the Koh-I-noor which was allegedly stolen from them by the british, and some red mercury.
As usual you guys are way out of my league, I had to fold after the Nigerian prince who needed a few thousand to handle the legal costs of getting his hands on his inheritance. My mail filter must work better than yours.

I was tempted to help out that Nigerian prince, just cause I'm a nice guy.. I mean, really.. he needed help. I always give a couple bucks to those guys begging for coffee money outside the subway in TO. Over the years it's probably added up to the 2 grand this guy was asking for. (I never put more change in my pocket than I'm willing to hand out to beggars, because at the end of the day in TO (Toronto) it's going to all be gone.) Why not this Nigerian prince? Should I discriminate against him, just because he might be rich soon?
It's the principal of the the thing.
" If a man asks for your coat, give him your cloak as well." If he asked for $2000, I should have sent him $5000.

Most decent people are to ashamed to ask for as much as they actually need. He probably needed a lot more than he was asking for.

Last edited by normhead; 01-01-2016 at 10:12 AM.
01-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
the question that determines how well this camera sells.
PentaxIsDoomed™

If the business plan is to sell fewer tens of thousands of bodies than a Canon or Nikon comparable model, and it is priced higher than members here can afford to pay or are willing to pay, it will be declared a failure that didn't 'sell well.'

Q.E.D.

They'll sell every one they make at what ever price they choose to sell them. Ergo, by definition, it will sell well.

I predict we won't see K-1 kits on BuyDig.
01-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't do it, just in case the camera shop had to shut down between now and then . . . but on the flip side, it would give the store a better sense of how many to order for its serious customers who want one at the earliest possible date.

01-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #35
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Our (the Romanian) Pentax dealer casually asked me if I want to reserve a K-1. I politely declined, as I'd want to skip the first batches - just in case.
You should have asked him about more info on the camera "before considering a reservation" ...
01-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #36
Pentaxian

The specs are not available until just before the official announcement.
What I know about the K-1 is that I want it, I don't actually need it, and I can afford it (though not easily).

Last edited by Kunzite; 01-01-2016 at 02:26 PM.
01-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #37

Original Poster
I am happy that my post started such a lively and amusing debate. Just a clarification.... I would NEVER do it. The camera store maintains that the Full Frame Pentax K-1 will be out in late April. This is one of Montreal's oldest and most respected camera stores. We shall see if the K-1 is out in April and if the specs they tout are true........ Meanwhile I will invest my money in some good ol' Pentax glass for my k-50..

---------- Post added 01-01-16 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
My wife has to deal with this! Every month somebody will bring in a cashiers check for a large amount from some poor artist in Beri Beri or Itcy Kitchy. There will be a sob story attached to set the hook. It will take 15 to 20 minutes to convince said dupes that it is all a scam!

Now for the record, this company isn't a scam. Doesn't look like they have great prices either. Go with B+H or Adorama.
Their prices are in Canadian dollars, so deduct 30%!

01-02-2016, 03:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scwinn Quote
Their prices are in Canadian dollars, so deduct 30%!
That makes them a lot more competitive in pricing then. Good!
01-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #39
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
36mmx24mm
He just told you he doesn't care. Jeez!

---------- Post added 02-01-16 at 13:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'll raise you an Arab oil sheikh looking for a wife, an Indian family trying to reclaim the Koh-I-noor which was allegedly stolen from them by the British, the winning numbers for the next Spanish lottery, and some red mercury.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As usual you guys are way out of my league, I had to fold...
Yeah, I'm out too. Never even heard of Red Mercury till now.
01-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #40

Original Poster
Actually my intent was to show that the K-1 is here!! BTW expected retail pricing according to the store may be around $1,299 CAD which would equal $999 USD. I found that out yesterday.

Last edited by scwinn; 01-03-2016 at 08:54 AM.
01-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scwinn Quote
Actually my intent was to show that the K-1 is here!! BTW expected retail pricing according to the store may be around $1,299 CAD which would equal $999 USD. I found that out yesterday.
Did Lozeau really say that!? Holly cow, if that turns out to be true...

Last edited by kp0c; 01-03-2016 at 10:38 AM.
01-03-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Did Lozeau really say that!? Holly cow, if that turns out tone true...
Is that even physically possible given the cost of the individual components?

Maybe they've sold so many of those D810 type sensors and components they've gotten to be quite cheap. Maybe Pentax was able to buy up the last 50,000 sensors, made at a bargain basement price and the D820 is about to come out with a brand new sensor.

Maybe they are doing what I do, buy everything during end of run sell offs. I guess it's as good a speculation as any.

Last edited by normhead; 01-03-2016 at 09:06 AM.
01-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #43
Pentaxian

That has GOT to be an error. Surely $2199? Or $2299??

If they can truly get a competent, well-built and reliable 36MP full-frame camera out the door with K3-II performance or better on a full frame sensor, for under $1000 marked US price, they just might be back in the game in a VERY big way.

It seems almost too good to believe - and yet, look what they did with the 645Z, which has enabled people to get into medium format (albeit an APS-C-like version thereof) who would previously never have dreamed of being able to go there. There are plenty of people who look at the sub-US$800 sticker price for the K3-II now who I'm sure would happily pay a grand for much the same thing in 36MP full-frame (albeit with all the knobs as we have already seen them).
01-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
That has GOT to be an error. Surely $2199? Or $2299??

If they can truly get a competent, well-built and reliable 36MP full-frame camera out the door with K3-II performance or better on a full frame sensor, for under $1000 marked US price, they just might be back in the game in a VERY big way.

It seems almost too good to believe - and yet, look what they did with the 645Z, which has enabled people to get into medium format (albeit an APS-C-like version thereof) who would previously never have dreamed of being able to go there. There are plenty of people who look at the sub-US$800 sticker price for the K3-II now who I'm sure would happily pay a grand for much the same thing in 36MP full-frame (albeit with all the knobs as we have already seen them).
It's long been said many of us would buy a bare bones landscape camera with inferior technology, you can take landscape with a 4x5 view camera, it's doesn't really demand much of your equipment. Maybe after the success of the 1 fps , 11 Focus point 645D, Pentax has decided to go bare bones on the FF.

I seriously doubt it, but hey, 11 o'clock Sunday morning, anything is possible.
01-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Barebone? This?

(Sunday evening here)