Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #76
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
They where early with their full frame mirrorless camera!

01-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #77
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
They where early with their full frame mirrorless camera!
lol... dslr owners will be assimilated.

pentax has had it's own share of mirror problems, with multiple models: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/303548-k-3-mirror-flap-death.html

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 10:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, the 645z is clearly and competitively well positioned, I also think Pentax has there with the 645z a very compelling offer.
it's really compelling for mf users who already own pentax glass, but as a platform for converting ff users to mf, it needs a technology update... bsi sensor at the minimum.
01-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #78
Veteran Member

The reliability issue and salaries are a jocke. So all small companies do bad product and give low salaries and their product is bad... Like Leica or Ferrari.

The reality is that all companies have issues at some point, even Toyota that was the perfect company for reliability had its issues. For hiring, you don't have the same people in a big or small company. In a small company you have hope to actually move things, that your own work has a significant impact and the salaries are also more related to actual performance than on just a grid.
01-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #79
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The way I decided to do it is to continue to use my existing Pentax APSC gear until it breaks or obsolete, and take the opportunity of a FF upgrade to turn to another brand
Hot Doggity! Wait until I tell Otis we have another prospective Jumper! His Jumper Stories have already cured several little blind orphan squirrels, so another one will thrill him! I expect he will be around soon......

Yesterday I was just glancing through one of his Jumper Storybooks......I liked the chapter entitled..........

"Why are my shots no better but my pocketbook so much lighter?" It goes on to tell how the Jumper can now carry more lenses, but since he is broke...he can't afford them!

Another chapter was also hilarious.......

"Nikon guys were mean to me........I tried Canon....they were even meaner! I think I miss Pentax! "

It's not all funny...the part where they told him to go back to Pentax and then kicked dirt on his lens was sorta sad...... But the little orphan squirrels loved it!

Regards!

01-07-2016, 08:57 AM - 3 Likes   #80
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

if you'd be an engineer at Canon or Nikon, why would you consider resigning from your job and getting hired by Pentax for a lower salary?
I don't suppose you could provide a source that would show what Canon, Nikon, and Pentax pay their engineers, could you? That would be interesting to see.
But IMO, poor reliability and long term lack of some types of lenses / third party lenses , are good reasons to drop Pentax.
So why haven't you?
The way I decided to do it is to continue to use my existing Pentax APSC gear until it breaks or obsolete, and take the opportunity of a FF upgrade to turn to another brand
As I understand your position, based on the latter 2 quotes above, Pentax is junk but you're going to stick with it anyway. confused2

Your profile shows that you have a K-3 and 8 lenses (5 of them are Pentax), and a Pentax TC. It seems strange, to me anyway, that someone would invest that much in a junk system. For that money you could have had one of those flawlessly functioning, every shot is perfect, canikony full frames.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-07-2016 at 09:36 AM.
01-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Pentax is junk
How dare you say that

01-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #82
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
How dare you say that
It was tough to type, even as a paraphrase of someone else's opinion.

01-07-2016, 12:31 PM - 4 Likes   #83
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As I understand your position, based on the latter 2 quotes above, Pentax is junk but you're going to stick with it anyway.

Your profile shows that you have a K-3 and 8 lenses (5 of them are Pentax), and a Pentax TC. It seems strange, to me anyway, that someone would invest that much in a junk system. For that money you could have had one of those flawlessly functioning, every shot is perfect, canikony full frames.
As I have discussed with my wife as I switched from Nikon to Pentax then brought multiple Pentax camera's and lenses - it is far far better, and much cheaper for the family that I have my mid-life crisis with camera gear rather than cars, or the much more typical route of the younger model wife . She has been very supportive of this form of mid-life crisis, and as a result I have been spoilt with some fantastic cameras, and stunning lenses. Everyone is happy.

The grass always seems greener somewhere in your life - not necessarily true, but perception can become someones reality.

I have been reading biz-engineers comments on multiple threads for some time now. He clearly has regrets about Pentax gear.

Perhaps he is having some sort of mid-life crisis too - where he is unhappy with the status quo, and wants something new, exciting and perfect (the way it used to be) in his life.

Now those of us who have friends with Canon, Nikon and Sony gear, and have discussed and used that gear know that every system has it issues, faults and problems, and hence we are cynical about biz-engineers desire to go there - but perhaps he does not know this, and just wants something new, exciting and perfect (the way it used to be).

I say we should recognise his agony of soul and be supportive, even if it does mean he is making a big mistake - it happens. We have all seen it, and have friends and mates that have the scars to prove it.

Right, that is enough philosophy for one day

Cheers

Ross

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 01-07-2016 at 12:38 PM.
01-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I agree with you N_Ross that it look a lot like that, he need something new, the best of the best and shiny. He will be happy for some time until he will discover that in his end the new thing is a bit better but not that much.
01-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #85

I think to recap on the issue again I think the waiting is not only the issues, there are 2 things to take into heavy considerations while waiting, 1) will this camera outdo the Nikon d810 - if it doesn't then Pentax are going to loose out big time, and 2) will they be quick enough with a new FF lens line up that is going to be at a high pro quality, not like the majority of the DA's in recent time that score so awfully for example on dxo mark
01-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
1) will this camera outdo the Nikon d810 -
It will have better sharpness on still subjects due to pixel shift, but maybe not control the noise so well, as Nikon do that very well indeed - and AF won't be so good, but other things might well be better - but we'll see
01-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I think to recap on the issue again I think the waiting is not only the issues, there are 2 things to take into heavy considerations while waiting, 1) will this camera outdo the Nikon d810 - if it doesn't then Pentax are going to loose out big time, and 2) will they be quick enough with a new FF lens line up that is going to be at a high pro quality, not like the majority of the DA's in recent time that score so awfully for example on dxo mark
Theses kind of thing are a bit funny because basically it will depend on what are you criteria for outdoing or not.

Will the K-01 will have better finish and build than a D810? Very likely.
Will the K-01 will have smaller/more compact size than a D810? Very likely.
Will the K-01 will have better ergonomics than a D810? Very likely.
Will the K-01 will have better resolution on still subjects ?Likely thanks to pixel shift.
Will the K-01 have better stab on all non stabilized lenses ? Very likely
Will the K-01 handle better K-mount lenses support than D810? Very likely
Will the K-01 will be able to handle unique lens offering like the FA ltd with an un-matched compromize in size/weight/finish/rendering ? Very likely

Other than that well this is going to be more or less the same sensor, same MP as a D810. The AF will have improved vs K3 but will likely still be not as good as Nikon AF. In term of lenses, the latest/greatest of Pentax are going to be great but the offering will be of course limited at the begining with less Pentax FF lenses and less third party FF lenses too.

But really we knew that since the FF was to be announced. We all know what the situation is and depending of our requirement, we know if we are better staying Pentax or not and if we want FF or not.
01-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #88
Veteran Member

@Nicolas06
PENTAX K-01 - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
01-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #89
osv
Veteran Member

2) will they be quick enough with a new FF lens line up that is going to be at a high pro quality, not like the majority of the DA's in recent time that score so awfully for example on dxo mark
i think that most crop lens measurements on dxo tend to be questionable, i remember reading that they extrapolate the numbers to a 35mm frame size(?)

if pentax does indeed oem the tamron 15-30, it'll put the ff camera in world-class status, look how that lens compares at dxo: Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (A012) vs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR vs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G: Competitive optical performance - DxOMark
01-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #90

If the body is going to be at the top end they need world class pro primes and they need them now. The old fa ltd's will stand strong but we need a solid 20mm and 24 mm prime for landscapes at least
Closed Thread