Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I'm still using my manual focus lenses in 35 years that will be a testament to something
If I had to hazard a guess, your eyesight?

01-08-2016, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
There is no doubt there is something special with the FA Limited rendering, but using the word unparalleled for Pentax glass is too strong. I had been a Pentax (almost exclusively) for 40 years (yes I am older...) but in using Nikon D810 with Zeiss and Nikon lenses are excellent and have been designed for digital sensors. I can see the difference between my Zeiss glass and the FA Limited Trio I used to own.
Perhaps I have not expressed myself correctly. What I meant by "unparalleled" is that I've not seen anything else which gives that particular "look" that the DA & FA Limiteds respectively render with. That's why I said that if an individual wants that (admittedly desirable) look, then it's simply gotta be Pentax.

Having said that, I certainly do discern a beautiful, different "look" to Leica glass. And Nikon glass gives its own effect too. In fact I appreciate and like both.

Somebody looking for that look will have to go with Leica/Nikon, that's the unique strength of each respective manufacturer, just as with the case of the Limiteds for Pentax.

(Talking about the "character" of the glass here, its "look"; not about digital-optimised lens design corrections. Case in point, the DA Limiteds have got the latter, and I also appreciate their unique rendering, their "look" - which has similarities but also differences from the FA LTD "look".)

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 11:58 AM ----------

Thanks for the link. Yes, I've read this before.

Steve loves the Leica look. He also appreciates the FA LTD look (he mentions this in his reviews of K-7 and K-5). But his favourite is the Leica "look".

I too very much appreciate and like both looks. But where I differ from Steve is that if I had to choose just one, with money not being a constraint, I would go for the FA LTDs.

Edit: With Leica a very, very close second....

Last edited by KDAFA; 01-08-2016 at 08:08 PM.
01-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If I had to hazard a guess, your eyesight?
By that time, I am told, damage to the optic disk will be reversible by the application of stem cell treatment, regenerating ganglion cell axons killed by glaucoma. At this time progression of the disease can be halted but lost visual acuity cannot be restored.

All of which assumes my heart is still pumping blood to the retinas

Last edited by monochrome; 01-08-2016 at 08:22 PM.
01-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Perhaps I have not expressed myself correctly. What I meant by "unparalleled" is that I've not seen anything else which gives that particular "look" that the DA & FA Limiteds respectively render with. That's why I said that if an individual wants that (admittedly desirable) look, then it's simply gotta be Pentax.

Having said that, I certainly do discern a beautiful, different "look" to Leica glass. And Nikon glass gives its own effect too. In fact I appreciate and like both.

Somebody looking for that look will have to go with Leica/Nikon, that's the unique strength of each respective manufacturer, just as with the case of the Limiteds for Pentax.

(Talking about the "character" of the glass here, its "look"; not about digital-optimised lens design corrections. Case in point, the DA Limiteds have got the latter, and I also appreciate their unique rendering, their "look" - which has similarities but also differences from the FA LTD "look".)

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 11:58 AM ----------

Thanks for the link. Yes, I've read this before.

Steve loves the Leica look. He also appreciates the FA LTD look (he mentions this in his reviews of K-7 and K-5). But his favourite is the Leica "look".

I too very much appreciate and like both looks. But where I differ from Steve is that if I had to choose just one, with money not being a constraint, I would go for the FA LTDs.

Edit: With Leica a very, very close second....
I understand what you are saying. I do miss my FA limited "look" and all those years of Pentax lens renderings as well. I also like the Sigma Foveon look; the SD1M produces a specific look as does the Sigma Art lenses, which I also like. Unfortunately I do not have unlimited funds, so I guess we have to stick with the "look" or "looks" we can afford. Most recently I have taken to try and change the mount on my Sigma camera so at least I can use all my Nikon mount lenses on both cameras. I think this is one advantage the mirrorless cameras have to use all the wonderful glass that is out there in a more economic way.

01-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I understand what you are saying. I do miss my FA limited "look" and all those years of Pentax lens renderings as well. I also like the Sigma Foveon look; the SD1M produces a specific look as does the Sigma Art lenses, which I also like. Unfortunately I do not have unlimited funds, so I guess we have to stick with the "look" or "looks" we can afford. Most recently I have taken to try and change the mount on my Sigma camera so at least I can use all my Nikon mount lenses on both cameras. I think this is one advantage the mirrorless cameras have to use all the wonderful glass that is out there in a more economic way.
Yes, I've often heard good things about the Sigma Foveon gear.

Don't have unlimited funds? Ha ha, welcome to the club!

Happy experimenting with the modified mount.

Cheers, mate.
01-09-2016, 04:23 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Yes, I've often heard good things about the Sigma Foveon gear.

Don't have unlimited funds? Ha ha, welcome to the club!

Happy experimenting with the modified mount.

Cheers, mate.
The Sigma Foveon "look" is a wonderful one for me. In a way it picks up on the things I loved about the FA Limited Trio 31/43/77. Great microcontrast and somewhat of a sharp yet subtle rendering. (I would substitute the word soft for subtle, but that does not really tell the story properly).

The following macro shot was really out of the camera PP in SPP (Sigma's Raw Editor)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/298194-macro-grain-wheat.html

Tells the story better than I can

Here are some samples from the SD1M in high resolution
01-09-2016, 04:55 AM   #112
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I personally know a technical repair manager who deals with both Pentax and Nikon glass. He tells me that failure of lens ultrasonic motors (ie. Pentax's SDM or Nikon's Silent Wave) happens in BOTH brands, citing even the pro-grade Nikon 70-200 f2.8, the latter with substantial repair cost.

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 01:25 AM ----------

And Pentax has something nobody else has, Canikon included: the DA & FA Limited ranges of glass, with their unparalleled rendering.

Simply got to go with Pentax for that "look".
I have had several friends who had the VR fail or go haywire in their Canon/Nikon lenses, requiring repair. The more complex we make lenses, the more likely something is to fail. As Norm says, manual focus lenses will last forever (barring trauma) and screw driven lenses just about as long. All in-lens motors will eventually fail, the only question is how long will it take for them to fail?
01-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have had several friends who had the VR fail or go haywire in their Canon/Nikon lenses, requiring repair. The more complex we make lenses, the more likely something is to fail. As Norm says, manual focus lenses will last forever (barring trauma) and screw driven lenses just about as long. All in-lens motors will eventually fail, the only question is how long will it take for them to fail?

Forever a bit on the optimistic side... There are still mechanical thing like the apperture blade and the focussing system. I have seen used lenses with issues on the apperture blade mechanism. They would not close correctly when the picture is taken for example.

01-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #114
Veteran Member

I love how the discussion here has meandered endlessly from the OP's original question of whether or not to go Pentax or Nikon for his FF in time for his Iceland "safari" to the latest about the durability and practicality of MF versus the latest generation of AF lenses. Call that democracy at work . Talking about democracy, I will stick to my recipe for happiness: use my K5 to the best of my ability given the MF and AF Pentax and one Tokina lenses in my bag. I do not think I am using my system to its fullest potential yet. Once I feel I am close to that threshold, I will consider the Pentax FF body. And who knows that could take another decade and by that time the K1 would be on sale for a couple of hundred bucks.

That the grass is greener on the other side of the fence is an illusion: sometimes the grass over the fence is synthetic sod.

Last edited by chmance; 01-09-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling
01-09-2016, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #115
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
all the people who have lost their nuts.
Excuse me... wouldn't care to rephrase that would you.
01-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #116
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
That is why pros carry multiple bodies or even lenses
We carry two of all mission critical kit, irrespective of brand, because as a pro... failure is not an option when it comes to getting the shot.
01-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #117
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
people will still be shooting with the better made A and FA lenses
That'll be me then... I knew I had a reason to keep my harem.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm on my way to the post office to pick up my new to me A 50mm ƒ2.8 macro.
Enjoy your “Femme Fatale” once you get your hands on her, she's earnt her place in my bag.
01-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #118
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I'm still using my manual focus lenses in 35 years that will be a testament to something
That will make my "Ladies" pensioners and eligible for their own bus passes, as some of them are over thirty years old now...
01-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
I love how the discussing here has meandered endlessly from the OP's original question of whether or not to go Pentax or Nikon for his FF in time for his Iceland "safari" to the latest about the durability and practicality of MF versus the latest generation of AF lenses. Call that democracy at work . Talking about democracy, I will stick to my recipe for happiness: use my K5 to the best of my ability given the MF and AF Pentax and one Tokina lenses in my bag. I do not think I am using my system to its fullest potential yet. Once I feel I am close to that threshold, I will consider the Pentax FF body. And who knows that could take another decade and by that time the K1 would be on sale for a couple of hundred bucks.

That the grass is greener on the other side of the fence is an illusion: sometimes the grass over the fence is synthetic sod.
The OP wanted an excuse to buy a D810 or something like that. We were after an excuse to discuss gear
01-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter

8 pages of "Pentax Saviors" and we still don't know if the OP has jumped? Otis is amused by all the defenders, but is really only interested in jumpers that go SPLAT! If the OP does so, will someone please PM Otis so he can write a new story for the little blind orphan squirrels?

To the OP...Otis gives this advice..."Friend, if you have to pee, you just do it! You don't banter it around and make an issue of it, you just get 'er done!"

Regards!
Closed Thread