Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2016, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax, I can't wait much longer...

I currently shoot two systems, Nikon and Pentax. Both are APS-C (D7100, K3ii) but I've got mostly full frame glass for each system.

I've been holding off on getting a full frame Nikon body because I wanted to see the Pentax full frame specs before committing to Nikon full frame.

Hey Pentax, it's now 2016 and I'm seeing some mighty tempting deals out there on Nikon full frame bodies! Please hurry up and announce your full frame's specs so I can make my full frame buying decision before my photo safari to Iceland.

01-03-2016, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

February 26th, 2016
World premiere show CP+2016
01-03-2016, 11:04 AM - 13 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would you like some cheese with that whine?

01-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
He'd rather have a return-ticket to Japan for that CP 2016.

01-03-2016, 11:52 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I currently shoot two systems, Nikon and Pentax. Both are APS-C (D7100, K3ii) but I've got mostly full frame glass for each system.

I've been holding off on getting a full frame Nikon body because I wanted to see the Pentax full frame specs before committing to Nikon full frame.

Hey Pentax, it's now 2016 and I'm seeing some mighty tempting deals out there on Nikon full frame bodies! Please hurry up and announce your full frame's specs so I can make my full frame buying decision before my photo safari to Iceland.
Let's be clear:
- Even if announced the camera will be available a bit later and will be expensive. And you'll need to wait a few months after release if you want to get real world report on it. Does the AF really work better? Is high iso well handled? Is there any issue with first batch like Nikon D600 oil issues or D750 internal reflections or K5 mirror flop?

- You speak of good deals, there will be no "real" good deal on brand new gear just after it is made available except if it doesn't sell at all. Would make sense to wait at least 1 year, maybe 2 for good deals. On the opposite Nikon good deals will not diseapear, and will only improve over time.

- The set of FF lenses is more limited in Pentax with mostly old lenses and very expensive new lenses... It will take a few years before it match Nikon echosystem. In both cases, the crop factor mean that you still may have to adapt your line up.

- For any subject you may want to cover an APSC is likely good enough. And for a safari, APSC has the benefit of providing more reach, the benefit over an FF isn't that obvious.

- There will be always new gear better than what you have, what will make your vacation is not if you got new photographic equiment just before. On the contrary you should take the time to train and master it before going. I don't know what kind of safari you plan (whales? birds? sheeps ? horses ? trolls ?) but what will have the most dramatic impact here will be your experience with the gear for such activity and more in general how you plan to get opportunities for nice shoots. An FF doesn't convince the whale to jump in front of you and doesn't help you being ready for taking the shoot as they will be maybe only 1 opportunity for a dozen outings.
01-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #6

I'm curious to know which camera you think is better, the K-3ii or the D7100? Just out of curiosity.

Also, which FF are you eyeing?
01-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I am up to you!!!!! Don't lean on equipment to much, go out and keep shooting whith what you have

01-03-2016, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is shaping up to be one of Rupert's Ugly Posts.
01-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's a bit early in this thread to mention cheese, isn't it?

…maybe not.
01-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you think the deals are good now, wait till the new equipment gets announced! That's what I'm doing... I'm also on the Pentax wait and see or go to Canon/Nikon fence, and while I'm ready to upgrade I know that a bunch of stuff is going to be announced in the next couple months meaning more price drops soon!

The other side is the glass. Everyone has great zooms now, but nothing from CaNikon is as interesting as the Limited primes imo.
01-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's a bit early in this thread to mention cheese, isn't it? …maybe not.
Nah. Really nice cheese pick though.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Joking aside I do feel your pain. You don't say when your safari is but I would not expect availability until late April at the earliest. And no good deals on pricing for six months after that, maybe not for a year or more if sales are strong. So unless your safari is in summer - fall time frame it will not matter what the specs are.

I have a cruise scheduled in March, and I was really hoping to take the FF along with me. But sadly, not going to happen so I think it will Black Friday before I consider it. Maybe the price will soften a bit by then.
01-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

had a great trip to the Antarctic a year a go. Only had one sunny day. Other days were snowing and there was one day we had the mother of all blizzards/ hurricanes. It was sensational. Under the conditions my planning worked really well. I left most of my gorgeous primes safely at home, purchased a 18-135 and took my 60-250. My gear matched the horrendous weather conditions and I got plenty of jaw dropping photos. Composition was what the photos are about. FF or primes wouldn't have done little to improve photos. Changing lenses outdoors would have certainly asked for tragic camera results.

Hope you enjoy your Iceland trip as much as I enjoyed my Antarctic trip.
01-03-2016, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well the body had better be good, because:

1. Their 70-200 offering if much heavier than the competition and really won't be any better.
2. Their 400mm offering (150-450) is heavier by 650g and not any better than the competition, I would say the canon 100-400II is better (from what I have seen, purely unsubstantiated)
3. Their 24-70 offering is standard, nothing fine there, on par
4. Up until now their AF has been well and truly sub-par compared to canon and Nikon, so how exactly all of a sudden they are going to pull a rabbit out of their hat and have amazing AF is beyond me, but hey we can only hope.
5. No ultra wide lens. I guess you could mod a Zeiss ZF 15mm with a K mount.
6. No optimized prime lenses other than old lenses.

Nikon already has all the offerings that you need so why wait. Get out shooting.

I am debating a FF or crop body to partner with my 645z, only reason I am waiting personally.
01-03-2016, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Umm, you can always rent Nikon FF bodies for your safari.
01-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Umm, you can always rent Nikon FF bodies for your safari.
True, that would also be the occasion to see if it is really worth it.
Closed Thread