Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #46
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You maybe humbled... I had to go find a dictionary for your reply.
Maybe that's why you and me don't have any Otis Awards Kerrowdown?

Regards!

01-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #47
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
why you and me don't have any Otis Awards Kerrowdown?
But I already do...

After you changed the title, Otis went right to it for viewing......can't say the view impressed him, he is pretty particular...but your changing the title earned you one of his most coveted awards!
01-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #48
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I work with four systems...big deal
Yeah, it seems some people just can't get it right, so they keep on buying more and more equipment, hoping that will help
01-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Yeah, it seems some people just can't get it right, so they keep on buying more and more equipment, hoping that will help
Yikes!

01-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yikes!
The trouble with having been trained on all equipment from large to small is, sometimes you see an image and you just instinctively know "that would be better shot in that format". So having more formats gives you more chance to do that.

It's not so much about not getting it right on one format, it's about knowing what's out there, and knowing it would be better shot in another format. But, I guess it could be the other thing too for some people.

If I' hadn't retired early, I'd be shooting at least 4 formats if you count my point and shoot, APS_c, 35x24 and 645. But most of the time I'm shooting APS-c, as stated in my sig. even though I have all 4 available in film options.
01-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I have phone, Q, Q7, APSc and 35mm film. I guess I shoot 5 formats then.
01-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #52
Veteran Member

PASc
Haven't heard of this format, care to elaborate?

01-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I' hadn't retired early, I'd be shooting at least 4 formats if you count my point and shoot, APS_c, 35x24 and 645. But most of the time I'm shooting APS-c, as stated in my sig. even though I have all 4 available in film options.
Until I see you post a 645 shot of yours, I think all you can say is I tried shooting 645...
01-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Until I see you post a 645 shot of yours, I think all you can say is I tried shooting 645...
My sister has a scanner she was supposed to get me. The plan was I get the scanner, I don't have one anymore, and I buy a film tank and chemistry over x-mas, and started using my film 645 and scanning negative black and whites. She forgot the scanner, a snow storm was coming and I had to get back north before it hit. Maybe this summer. I ws that close. One of the joys of retirement is, everything you buy goes on the credit card, buying a scanner right now would come out of my 150-450/ FF fund. Not going to happen. But I do have several albums of 645 images from when I used it. Some of my favourite photos....

I've upgraded Mac OS once to often and neither of my old scanners have relevant drivers.

The one thing I don't have is any of are my old 8x10 and 4x5 images. I don't know what happened to them, but somewhere in one of my gazillion moves, they got lost. A few of them are still locked in my memory, but, I can't get them out to show anyone.

I simply will never forget that tilt shift 8x10 I took of one of the spires at St. James cathedral in Toronto. I lugged a 70 pound kit in an awkward suitcase style box, on the subway and then walked a quarter mile with it to get there.

What I learned in that exercise is, there must have been an easier way to get that assignment done, that didn't involve subways and walking. Ryerson Politech had lots of nice buildings I could have photographed, and used tilt sfit to keep the lines parallel. The lines to the spire weren't parallel to start with. You wouldn't have known if I'd succeeded in correcting the parallels without having an un-corrected image to compare with. Life is full if little disasters.

Last edited by normhead; 01-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.
01-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've upgraded Mac OS once to often and neither of my old scanners have relevant drivers.

Have you looked at any of the Supported Scanners from VueScan?

It is not the most friendly scanning software. But it has a pretty good list of supported scanners and is multi-platform so it is written to be easier for him to maintain than customized for ease of use and native look. But nevertheless it will get the job done and actually has some advanced features. I just wish he'd add modern color negative film profiles to help you scan past that orange mask. But for BW it does great. You get to scan to a ProPhoto RGB color space for maximum editing latitude in a RAW or image editor.
01-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well I have phone, Q, Q7, APSc and 35mm film. I guess I shoot 5 formats then.
Well if you want to count formats, I shoot 10 formats: APS-C, 35mm, 645, 66, 67,6X9,6X12, 4X5, 5X7, 8X10.
01-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I shoot one format, APS-C
01-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Count formats? I don't want to count formats. Though I think about 645 sometimes.
01-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But I already do...
Damn! Otis is correct when he says I can't get anything right!

Regards & Congratulations on the coveted Otis Award.
01-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Damn! Otis is correct when he says I can't get anything right!

Regards & Congratulations on the coveted Otis Award.
Rupert?
Who is doing all this coveting?
Closed Thread