Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #91
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i wonder what they are going to do about a 24mm prime, at least... they have a poor track record at that fl, but they nailed it at 28mm and up... it's kind of bizarre, but it is a tough fl.

01-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is there any reason that Pentax (Ricoh) has not approached Zeiss and asked them to re-introduce the ZK line of lenses in the new Milvus range?

That would be a great addition.
01-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #93
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Is there any reason that Pentax (Ricoh) has not approached Zeiss and asked them to re-introduce the ZK line of lenses in the new Milvus range?

That would be a great addition.
I have sent already Zeiss a note asking them to do that Had no response though.....

I have a suspicion that there might be a few pleasant surprises when the Pentax FF is announced - in the form of a lens availability, and third party support.

Ricoh Pentax will be keen to have a very viable total system to entice professionals to invest in the system.
01-08-2016, 04:23 AM - 3 Likes   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do think it is unwise for dissatisfied people to continue shooting gear that distresses them. The grass is often greener on the other side of the fence and if someone believes that their photography would improve dramatically by purchasing a Canon or Nikon camera and similar lenses, as compared to Pentax, then they should proceed. We do see people leave and some of them do come back, feeling that there wasn't as much improvement after the change as they had thought there would be.

SDM is a problem for Pentax, but I don't believe that other companies are pure from having in lens motors and optical stabilization break down. Since we have no numbers to show rates of lens failures for various brands, it is difficult to make broad statements.

In the end, Pentax does give me good results and for someone who shoots for a hobby, it is good enough. As to whether or not having a Nikon or Canon would improve my images, probably not. I don't shoot action shots and for things that aren't moving very fast, Pentax is just fine.

Good luck to everyone on their decisions.

Last edited by Rondec; 01-08-2016 at 04:36 AM.
01-08-2016, 05:13 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I know the flash system advantage from my Canon days (Canon sucked).
Both Canon and Pentax have something that Nikon does not, weather resistant external flashes.
01-08-2016, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #96
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do think it is unwise for dissatisfied people to continue shooting gear that distresses them.
That doesn't make sense to me, either. What makes less sense is the people who are unhappy with their gear, continue to use it, and repeatedly tell people who are happy with theirs why they shouldn't be.
01-08-2016, 06:14 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do think it is unwise for dissatisfied people to continue shooting gear that distresses them.
They say if you love something, set it free. Curiously, this is also a recommended strategy to use if you do not love something. If a particular camera isn't producing the kind of results you want: It may be time to move on. But resist the urge to slander the brand for its failings, there are plenty of people who can get what they want from (insert camera brand here). As for me: I find I can get what I want from just about any Current DSLR on the market, nothing beats good technique and experience. Though there are some lenses in current production that have questionable functionality on current DSLRs.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-08-2016 at 06:23 AM.
01-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #98
Veteran Member

I do think it is unwise for dissatisfied people to continue shooting gear that distresses them....

SDM is a problem for Pentax, but I don't believe that other companies are pure from having in lens motors and optical stabilization break down. Since we have no numbers to show rates of lens failures for various brands, it is difficult to make broad statements.
I personally know a technical repair manager who deals with both Pentax and Nikon glass. He tells me that failure of lens ultrasonic motors (ie. Pentax's SDM or Nikon's Silent Wave) happens in BOTH brands, citing even the pro-grade Nikon 70-200 f2.8, the latter with substantial repair cost.

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 01:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Both Canon and Pentax have something that Nikon does not, weather resistant external flashes.
And Pentax has something nobody else has, Canikon included: the DA & FA Limited ranges of glass, with their unparalleled rendering.

Simply got to go with Pentax for that "look".

Last edited by KDAFA; 01-08-2016 at 09:26 AM.
01-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
I personally know a technical repair manager who deals with both Pentax and Nikon glass. He tells me that failure of lens ultrasonic motors (ie. Pentax's SDM or Nikon's Silent Wave) happens in BOTH brands, citing even the pro-grade Nikon 70-200 f2.8, the latter with substantial repair cost.
The more reasonable people have pointed out, that if you put an electric motor in a lens, sooner or later it is going to fail. It's only a matter of time. It doesn't matter what company you are. Yet people continue to push this fantasy, that you can run electric motors without failures and rebuilds and that it's somehow the manufacturers fault that they aren't built to last forever.

It's quite possible, that after the last SDM has failed, people will still be shooting with the better made A and FA lenses and SDM lenses in screw drive mode. Does anyone really believe that 35 years into the future there will still be SDM components being manufactured to service these lenses? Mean while, I'm on my way to the post office to pick up my new to me A 50mm ƒ2.8 macro.
01-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Mean while, I'm on my way to the post office to pick up my A 50mm ƒ2.8 macro.
01-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's quite possible, that after the last SDM has failed, people will still be shooting with the better made A and FA lenses and SDM lenses in screw drive mode. Does anyone really believe that 35 years into the future there will still be SDM components being manufactured to service these lenses? Mean while, I'm on my way to the post office to pick up my new to me A 50mm ƒ2.8 macro.
Well one good thing for SDM is that at least some of them can be converted to screwdrive. My 16-50 will have SDM components in it 35 years from now, but it will actually be using the screwdrive.
And you are going to love that 50mm f/2.8, one of my favorite lenses.
01-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 01:25 AM ----------

And Pentax has something nobody else has, Canikon included: the DA & FA Limited ranges of glass, with their unparalleled rendering.

Simply got to go with Pentax for that "look".
There is no doubt there is something special with the FA Limited rendering, but using the word unparalleled for Pentax glass is too strong. I had been a Pentax (almost exclusively) for 40 years (yes I am older...) but in using Nikon D810 with Zeiss and Nikon lenses are excellent and have been designed for digital sensors. I can see the difference between my Zeiss glass and the FA Limited Trio I used to own.
01-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.It's quite possible, that after the last SDM has failed, people will still be shooting with the better made A and FA lenses and SDM lenses in screw drive mode. Does anyone really believe that 35 years into the future there will still be SDM components being manufactured to service these lenses? Mean while, I'm on my way to the post office to pick up my new to me A 50mm ƒ2.8 macro.
If I'm still using my manual focus lenses in 35 years that will be a testament to something, but probably not Pentax. 🙀
01-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I'm still using my manual focus lenses in 35 years that will be a testament to something, but probably not Pentax. ��
We can hope...............
01-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #105
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
There is no doubt there is something special with the FA Limited rendering, but using the word unparalleled for Pentax glass is too strong. I had been a Pentax (almost exclusively) for 40 years (yes I am older...) but in using Nikon D810 with Zeiss and Nikon lenses are excellent and have been designed for digital sensors. I can see the difference between my Zeiss glass and the FA Limited Trio I used to own.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/03/17/wide-open-pentax-31-limited-leica-35-summilux-asph/
Closed Thread