Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess a K-1 and 24-70 would be a good place to start, but certainly that isn't going to be a "do everything" set up. Decent at landscapes, but probably would be nice to get a little wider prime for certain situations. Macro is the sort of thing where if you are going to do it much, you would do well to have a dedicated lens (the DFA 100 macro WR is pretty sweet -- but there are plenty of older macro lenses out there that would be cheaper, but require manual focus).

I do expect it to be an excellent camera with good performance, although we'll have to wait till the announcement is actually made for all of the specifics.

01-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #17
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon has about 15 specialized lenses that Pentax doesn't come close to matching. Other than that, in aps-c system, Pentax covers all of their other 60 lens with about 45 lenses. Some of their offerings are redundant. Most lens needs are covered by Pentax, if you're doing aps-c. Even FF, pentax covers the basic needs, but their lineup is very underdeveloped compared to Canikon.
01-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

In terms of lens options, APS-C or FF. Canikon is way better than Pentax. In terms of image quality, Pentax is on a par with Canikon APS-C and the K1 will likely be on par or nearly so with Canikon FF bodies + lenses, depending on which lens and which body. I think the main advantage or edge that Pentax has and always has had is slightly better ergonomics in the camera body, especially if you prefer a smaller camera, and somewhat lower prices for equivalent specifications and performance.
01-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
Fine art, portrait, studio, macro, landscape, and etc
Fine art? Meaning creative pictures or photos of Fine art?

Portrait: FA 77, DFA 100, FA 85 (used only), DFA 70-200

Studio: could be anything

Macro: DFA 100, FA 200 Macro (used only and crazy $) various 3rd party lenses.

Landscape: DFA 24-70, FA* 24 (used only), plus loads of older lenses.

I hope that helps. I do however think that all of the pro bodies and even a lot of enthusiast bodies can outperform most photographers. If you have specific areas that the Canon and Nikon systems fail your desired results it might be helpful to list them so that we can take a stab at giving out opinion about the likelihood that the k-1 will address those problems.

Given the rumors about sensors I doubt pentax will have something Nikon doesn't in that area but there is more to a camera (ergonomics for example) than sensor alone. If the k-1 superresoultion fits your studio and landscape needs that is certainly a major benefit.

The other option - not cheap - is the 645z.

01-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The current Pentax catalog doesn't include a tilt-shift lens for architecture or a 300/2.8 lens for distant action in low light, for example.

But there's a 24mm tilt shift from and a 300 2.8 available from 3rd parties.
There are probably some things Pentax doesn't have available for it, just not those two things.
01-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
.... In terms of image quality, Pentax is on a par with Canikon APS-C and the K1 will likely be on par or nearly so with Canikon FF bodies + lenses, depending on which lens and which body....
I think a lot depends on what is meant by "image quality".

I find nothing in Canikon glass which renders images like Pentax's DA & FA Limiteds.

Last edited by KDAFA; 01-07-2016 at 09:01 AM.
01-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

As already said, you're going to need more than a 24-70mm lens for "everything". That zoom can cover a lot shooting situations but clearly photo forums are full of images from focal lengths (and their equivalents) outside this "goldilocks zone" of focal lengths.
01-07-2016, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

I think the big thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't buy into a system for a specific camera body. Those will come and go.

It is far better to create for yourself a road map of lenses that you think you will need at some point on your photographic journey. Those won't be lenses you buy initially or, even for awhile, but you think you'll need them. If there are lenses that are only offered by a certain company (300 f2.8, 250-600, tilt shift) then you had better not go with Pentax.

On the other hand, most of the standard focal lengths are currently covered or, will be in the short term future. If you like Pentax ergonomics (I do), then you could do a lot worse than going with Pentax.

01-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(300 f2.8, 250-600 ....

I'm sure the old FA* versions still work just fine
01-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm sure the old FA* versions still work just fine
They are great lenses, but they are pretty scarce and pretty expensive, as compared to Tamron having 150-600 available new for Canon/Nikon/Sony for 1100 -- not the greatest lens ever perhaps, but certainly there are more options for other mounts with regard to telephoto lenses.
01-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Currently using 5d mark iii and D750 from my school. Canon system is just average except for color and lens while Nikon is slightly above the average. I was using Pentax btw. I'm gonna graduate within 2 years but I need to get a FF body for works. Will it be fine to get K-1(Pentax FF) with 24-70 for all purposes?
Wait six months and you will see a bunch of new gear appear on the market - as well as first impressions on the first Pentax FF camera.
In case you do't see a Pentax FF appear within the next six month, forget about it.
01-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
They are great lenses, but they are pretty scarce and pretty expensive,.
Some of the FF AF Pentax optics are are incredibly scarce. The 250-600 is obvious, but try to locate a good copy of the 200mm AF macro on sale. Wonder how many of each of these two lenses were made?
01-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #28

Currently using 5d mark iii and D750 from my school. Canon system is just average except for color and lens while Nikon is slightly above the average. I was using Pentax btw. I'm gonna graduate within 2 years but I need to get a FF body for works. Will it be fine to get K-1(Pentax FF) with 24-70 for all purposes?
Ha is this your thread? FF camera brand | MacRumors Forums
01-17-2016, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #29

when a system has limited lens
the user has to rely on his creativity and take more efforts to produce the same result
comparing to other system.
We use to admire such effort in the past, not so much today.
Most of the people today want to get things done as less efforts as possible, as little time as possible.
It's not wrong or anything, just different!
and you need to pay a lot more for it.

Pentax Digital 35mm system has covered the zoom range from 24-450mm
(DFA along, ya, I know 70-200mm is not available right now,
but it will when the K-1(or whatever it will be called) releases)

unless you want a
tilt-shift lens,
fish eye,
ultra wide(which is achievable by other methods)
ultra fast aperture lens(f/1.4 or faster),
or you demand an automatic(smarter) multi-flash system.
I think Pentax can do just fine for general commercial shooting.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by souless; 01-17-2016 at 01:39 AM.
01-18-2016, 04:56 AM   #30

what do you guess will be _THE_ feature to stand out from competition? I will buy the camera anyways, be it a D600-level one or a D800-level one; all I need is the k-mount with autofocus (k-3 level AF is sufficient for my type of shooting) and a sensor with full frame area.
I mean, the bummer of the first Pentax DSLRs was shake reduction & weather resistance, K-7 was autofocus, K-5 was low-light, K-3 was no-AA-filter ... whats your guess on the most surprising feature of the fullframe? I don't think it will be the large sensor area only... I hope for optical/digital viewfinder overlay but cannot imagine Ricoh showing up with such a feature (I guess Canon will come with that one first).