Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
sunshine7913

Pentax FF for commercial uses.

Currently using 5d mark iii and D750 from my school. Canon system is just average except for color and lens while Nikon is slightly above the average. I was using Pentax btw. I'm gonna graduate within 2 years but I need to get a FF body for works. Will it be fine to get K-1(Pentax FF) with 24-70 for all purposes?

01-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Few people can do everything with one lens. It depends how and what you shoot.
01-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
Currently using 5d mark iii and D750 from my school. Canon system is just average except for color and lens while Nikon is slightly above the average. I was using Pentax btw. I'm gonna graduate within 2 years but I need to get a FF body for works. Will it be fine to get K-1(Pentax FF) with 24-70 for all purposes?
More information needed. For ALL purposes, definitely no. For an all-purpose lens for your needs only - maybe? Will it be fine to get the K-1 - probably. It'll likely be better than the D750, on par with the 5d iii - but wait and see. One more month.
01-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
More information needed. For ALL purposes, definitely no. For an all-purpose lens for your needs only - maybe? Will it be fine to get the K-1 - probably. It'll likely be better than the D750, on par with the 5d iii - but wait and see. One more month.
Hope so. Pentax usually delay like MF cameras...

01-06-2016, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

You're not making much sense. You just described the world's two most frequently used professional systems as "average" and "above average," without beginning any of their deficiencies for what you need. You also didn't specify what you need.

Much of the world's best photography is shot on canon and Nikon systems. They provide quality products.
01-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's hard to say what the K-1 is specifically geared to, since Ricoh hasn't released any info on it. It may be either in the "30+ High MP/Low FPS for the Studio/Landscape/Etc." group or in the "Low 20MP range/High FPS for the Action/Sports/Etc." group.
01-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The FF will definetly be a great camera with great image quality.. we dont know all spects, but so far it looks nice. But it all depends of what you want to use your camera for.. In my case I work with people doing portraits, commercial fashion, lookbooks etc.. and for that this camera its going to be great, if you are going to work on sports it all depends of how fast and accurate the AF is ( in my case fast is not that important ), if you are going to do architecture shots the ISO performance will help you a lot.. so.. it all depends of what you want to do with your camera.. 24-70 is a great lens.. but depending on your shooting style some lenses could fit better ( but i still recomend you to have a 24-70 as basic lens )

01-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #8
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
You're not making much sense. You just described the world's two most frequently used professional systems as "average" and "above average," without beginning any of their deficiencies for what you need. You also didn't specify what you need.

Much of the world's best photography is shot on canon and Nikon systems. They provide quality products.
Well I'm not them. To me, I don't like both cameras.
01-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Well I'm not them. To me, I don't like both cameras.
and yet you still haven't share your thoughts on why you consider Pentax system with us
Simply because of budget? or there are things you don't like about Nikon and Canon?
everyone has different meaning on all purpose...
Why don't you tell us a little more about what you usually shoot or what kind of photography job you are seeking?
For example, if you job is shooting sports, 24-70mm might be less useful than a 300mm.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by souless; 01-06-2016 at 08:40 PM.
01-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What kind of work?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What kind of work?
Fine art, portrait, studio, macro, landscape, and etc
01-06-2016, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Fine art, portrait, studio, macro, landscape, and etc
Well you're probably not going to be able to get away with using a single lens for all that, but the 24-70mm would be a good start.

If you're not already invested in the Pentax system, though, it's tough to say no to Canon or Nikon's mature lineup of FF glass. Hopefully many more Pentax lenses are launched along with the FF body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2016, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think any of the systems will fail to deliver results good enough for commercial work. But all work with one lens??
In order to have commercial success as a photographer communication skills seem to be at last as important as decent gear... maybe that's an area to work on?? Sorry, couldn't resist
01-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Two years is a long ways away in this digital world. Who knows what is going to come up next. I was at CES in Vegas today and saw the new Nikon D5 and the D500. Both of them are the most kick ass cameras I have seen in a long time. I am a former Canon 6D and 7D owner (12 years of seven different Canon digital body models). One of the last lenses I owned before switching to Pentax was the Tamron 24-70 VC f2.8. Pentax 24-70 is the rebadged version of the Tamron I owned. Mind you I owned mostly Canon L lenses. The Tamron was just as good if not better than my Canon L glass. I shot numerous commercial paid assignments with it. I shot plenty of images at f2.8 because of shallow depth of field requirements. The lens delivered with outstanding results. As to the lens being sufficient for all the uses you added in your later post, I am not sure. you have to try it to know.

As to the Pentax K1, I went to CES mainly to visit the Ricoh booth to get details on the FF camera. The entire booth was a Theta showcase. No cameras or lenses in sight. I was shocked and baffled. A major electronics show with thousands of people attending and no cameras to show. The cameras were there but not for public viewing.

I did get a glimpse of the FF. Get ready to be surprised, mesmerized and then some. Pentax has done it again. Ricoh is serious and with the FF they really mean business. As a future pro, after you see the FF camera you can safely invest in the ENTIRE Pentax system for high end imaging work for a long time to come.
01-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm not knocking Pentax, but the Pentax k-mount system is a little more limited than Canon and Nikon due to specialty lenses. Most people rarely need those lenses and Pentax works fine. Pentax lenses can cover the fine art, portrait, studio, macro, landscape areas you mentioned. You also said etc and it's tough to predict how well that's covered. The current Pentax catalog doesn't include a tilt-shift lens for architecture or a 300/2.8 lens for distant action in low light, for example. Regardless, as seen by the photos on PF, we still manage to shoot architecture and sports.

That's lenses. What about bodies? Canon bodies lag behind the competition, IMO. Canon keeps rehashing tiny changes and hasn't been innovative in a long time. Nikon and Pentax bodies and sensors are better.

Canon and Nikon have speedier repair options than Pentax if you're a pro that needs quick turnaround.

Wait to see Pentax FF reviews. It's tough to make decisions about something that doesn't exist yet.

Canon and Nikon also get some advantages solely by being more numerous. Rental shops stock more of their gear. Tamron and Sigma lenses are almost always available for Canon and Nikon, but rare for Pentax. Other special purpose accessories aren't as available for Pentax. Software tends to offer more support for Canon and Nikon than for Pentax.