Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

Thinking of switching from fuji to pentax need some advice

ok guys i need some advice.

I used to own a k5 then sadly i switched sided went into fuji.But with the full frame coming i would really want to get back to Pentax.So im pondering on selling my fuji stuff and getting some pentax gear with an eye towards the full frame.Right now i have the xf 56 ,xf14 and xf23 with a XT1 and im planing on getting DA 15,DA20-40 and FA 77 with a K-S2 for now and selling the K-S2 and getting the full frame when it arrives.What i would like to know is how would the optical quality of lenses compare

XF14 against DA 15 and whether DA15 perform well on the full frame (obviously on crop setting)
XF23 against DA 20-40 and again weather it would perform well on the full frame
XF56 against FA77 and would the FA77 be able to resolve the new sensor on the full frame given FA77 is a old desing

any thought are welcomed, even other lens recommendations

cheers and thanks in advance

01-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd not switch from fuji apsc to pentax apsc. I see apsc as having two sweet spots: mirrorless compactness with short focal lengths and further reach when used with supertele lenses. For short focal lengths, Fuji has the advantage of size and speed of lenses over Pentax APSC body+lens. For supertele lenses Pentax is not the best brand to consider. I'd keep the Fuji system and select a FF system whether it is a Pentax, Nikon or Canon. Regarding the Pentax FF, it would come with a 24-70 , 70-200 and 85 f1.8, f1.4 or 135mm f2. Diffcult to make any decision due to limited clarity about the Pentax FF system.
01-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

You should know that DA 15, and DA 20-40 are designed for APS-C only. I think it is wrong investment if you sell your Fuji for Pentax K-S2 and you are planning to sell it once Pentax fullframe is arrived. Better to keep your Fuji now, and see how pentax fullframe will attract you. You have good fuji glasses with you, so don't rush. You may regret it later on.
01-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will repeat what everyone else has said. Don't jump back to Pentax until the full-frame is released and you know how it's performing in the real world. Much as we'd love to have you back in Pentax territory, it makes no sense unless you really, REALLY have a good reason to run both APS-C and full-frame systems in parallel.

All that being said, for an APS-C system I think you could do a lot worse than the lenses you've picked out. They all cover a very good spread of focal lengths. But as others have said, only the FA77 is proven to be optically compatible with full-frame and you may find yourself using crop mode for the others. Until you know exactly how all this works out in the real world, wait.

01-09-2016, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #5

The Fuji system you have is amazing, that Fuji glass is simply superb and the IQ of the XT-1 is great. You would, I believe, miss the Fuji.

I came back to Pentax from Fuji, but didn't have the glass you did (had the XT-1, 18, 35 and 55-200, and previously had the 23, 60 and 18-55). I now have 2 K3's, 15, 21, 77, 300 and 16-50 and 50-135. I could never have afforded such a comprehensive Fuji system.

Optically, I think the 15 and 77 I have are excellent, are less expensive (used) but slower compared to the Fuji. I just ordered a 21. I expect it to be very good, but Fuji's 23 is one of the best I've ever used in that 35mm equivalent focal length.

The Pentax FF is an unknown at this point, although I'm sure it will offer a lot of bang for the buck, as Pentax does with its APS cameras. What is in question is how FF will be supported with a lens lineup (beyond what is announced and legacy glass).

If budget is a concern, Pentax is a great kit (used, my two K3's cost about what I sold my XT-1 for). But since you already own amazing glass for Fuji and the current top of the line body, I'd personally wait and see what the Pentax FF truly offers before you sell off.
01-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote

I used to own a k5 then sadly i switched sided went into fuji.But with the full frame coming i would really want to get back to Pentax.So im pondering on selling my fuji stuff and getting some pentax gear with an eye towards the full frame.Right now i have the xf 56 ,xf14 and xf23 with a XT1 and im planing on getting DA 15,DA20-40 and FA 77 with a K-S2 for now and selling the K-S2 and getting the full frame when it arrives.What i would like to know is how would the optical quality of lenses compare

XF14 against DA 15 and whether DA15 perform well on the full frame (obviously on crop setting)
XF56 against FA77 and would the FA77 be able to resolve the new sensor on the full frame given FA77 is a old desing

You have wonderful Fuji camera and lenses. It sounds to a little bit of downgrade if you swItch to KS2. Just be patient and we will see at February. A lot of new Pentax primes will be released also this year. A new version of FA 77mm might come soon.
01-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have not checked Fuji prices recently but looks like you have a sizable investment in the Fuji body and glass. As a former Canon digital owner, I can tell you that honestly there are no bad systems these days. You can switch to any system and if you buy the right body and lens combo, you will be able to produce excellent results.

I ran my K5IIs and the Three Amigos in parallel with my Canon 6D and 7D and Canon L glass and I could not see any difference in image quality of identical subjects. Dollar for dollar Pentax was cheaper and more compact and had IBIS which made all my lenses stabilized. I had to pay a lot more for Canon stabilized glass and in some instances which is their primes there are no stabilized versions available. Later on I switched to K3 bodies and my images looked even better. Overall Pentax has been a winner for me.

I switched to Pentax for nostalgic reasons. My first film camera was a Pentax MX (which I loved) and I also have this love for the brand that goes way back. So I switch for nostalgia but I stayed for a superior system and image quality.

Fuji is getting fantastic reviews and their glass is among the best. I would not go through the hassle (and cost) of switching to Pentax unless you are looking for full frame. If you switch with an eye towards full frame, then buy as many FF compatible lenses as you can.

Here is one you do not know actually nobody knows. I have seen the FF camera and it is going to blow anything else in the the price range out of the water. It is everything people are speculating about on this forum and then some. The price will leave you speechless. So if you want to switch to have access to FF then wait a few more weeks. The announcement is just around the corner and the camera is unreal. I promised I will keep my lips sealed on the details and I am going to honor my word. Stay tuned and get ready to be surprised, mesmerized and then some.

01-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

im planing on getting DA 15,DA20-40 and FA 77 with a K-S2 for now
Same as everyone else, don't switch just yet! Hang on to your Fuji stuff for another 6 months, see how the FF system works, if the price drops, what new lenses are released. The lenses you named won't even work on FF. However, the FA limiteds are likely to be re-released as D-FA limiteds - just hang tight! And if you ARE switching right now, don't get the K-s2! It's only one month till the FF, just keep your Fuji gear till then.
01-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Maybe a K50 and Tamron 28-75 would get you back into the Pentax mode of operation? I haven't tried Fuji but clearly it's getting a lot of respect here.
01-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably just piling on at this point but I agree, moving now makes no sense. Unless of course you really do not like using the Fuji gear. If that's a problem then you should consider whether you are going to run a dual APS-C / FF system or are you going to be FF only?

If you envision a dual system then by all means get a k-5 or k-3 and some lenses to get back in the fold. But remember some of those lenses (15mm and 20-40) are not going to work on the FF, except in crop mode. I'm not sure getting a K-S2 and then selling it in a few months makes sense.

If you are planning on going FF only then there is no point in changing now. Wait until the FF is released and see if it is what you want. If so, then sell off the Fuji and move. But jumping now makes little sense.

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 09:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I have seen the FF camera and it is going to blow anything else in the the price range out of the water. It is everything people are speculating about on this forum and then some. The price will leave you speechless. So if you want to switch to have access to FF then wait a few more weeks. The announcement is just around the corner and the camera is unreal. I promised I will keep my lips sealed on the details and I am going to honor my word. Stay tuned and get ready to be surprised, mesmerized and then some.
Hmmmm.................
01-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

I used to own a k5 then sadly i switched sided went into fuji.But with the full frame coming i would really want to get back to Pentax.So im pondering on selling my fuji stuff and getting some pentax gear with an eye towards the full frame. Right now i have the xf 56 ,xf14 and xf23 with a XT1
i can't believe the confusion in this thread.

xt1 is a 16mp crop camera, it's a low-rez sensor body that's way overpriced at $1300, if pq is important, no question that you are making the right decision by going ff.

even a sideways move to a 24mp k3 would be a solid step up in pq, just get ff-only glass for it, the crop body will tide you over until you make the move to a ff body.

the main downside that i see is that you'd be going from evf to ovf, but you are aware of that already.

here is the dpr studio scene comparison between the xt1/k3/ar7/d7100... the upload to pf will probably destroy the pq, but it should be clear from looking at the lettering in the semi-circle, that the xt1 is basically mush... the a7r reflects what the pentax ff will look like, it's a big step up from all of those cameras.

you can run the test yourself: Fujifilm X-T1 Review: Digital Photography Review download the studio scene raw files to see how bad it really is, this is the daylight scene print comparison.
Attached Images

Last edited by osv; 01-09-2016 at 12:29 PM.
01-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
download the studio scene raw files to see how bad it really is, this is the daylight scene print comparison.
Well I am finally glad that I'm not the only one to think the Fuji image quality is terrible.

Mushy, non detailed files.

I just don't see what people see in the Fuji system at all.
01-09-2016, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Here is one you do not know actually nobody knows. I have seen the FF camera and it is going to blow anything else in the the price range out of the water. It is everything people are speculating about on this forum and then some. The price will leave you speechless. So if you want to switch to have access to FF then wait a few more weeks. The announcement is just around the corner and the camera is unreal. I promised I will keep my lips sealed on the details and I am going to honor my word. Stay tuned and get ready to be surprised, mesmerized and then some.
Somebody find this member and make him talk.
01-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Well I am finally glad that I'm not the only one to think the Fuji image quality is terrible.

Mushy, non detailed files.

I just don't see what people see in the Fuji system at all.
Have you used it? I have and the IQ is brilliant. That said I chose Pentax for budget, bang for the buck is unequaled here. But if money was not a concern, Fuji would be at the top of my list ...
01-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have used an XPro1, x100 and XT1 and while they are nice, the IQ is clearly lacking, just my opinion though.

Money no object, I wouldn't pick the Fuji, if it had to be mirror less it would probably be Olympus or Sony.

The Fuji lenses just don't have a size advantage over the others. Not that size matters, but if you are going to buy a small body you ultimately want small lenses, yes the Sony lenses aren't small but the sensors are leagues ahead so there is the trade off.

There is just no escaping the issue of the X-trans sensor.

Anyway, off topic we are.

Let's hope the new FF Pentax has a wonderful sensor.