Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you read the comments in that dpr fuji review, people are accusing dpr of misfocusing the xt1 test shots pretty hard to do that, given the nice evf on the xt1, i'd think.

people drink the fuji koolaid, then can't see the mushy photos right in front of their faces... perfect example was dpr gushing about it in the review, but then posting those mushy weak test photos... 16mp only goes so far, the only thing worse would be m4/3.

sony a6000 gets you 24mp for $700, k3 is 24mp for $650, anything less than 24mp just doesn't make sense.

01-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #17

I find it Interesting how varied the opinions are regarding Fuji. But getting back on topic, what is it about the OP's Fuji system do they find lacking? And what was sad about their first departure from the K5?

Any of the current systems have strengths and weaknesses, and all are capable of outstanding IQ. It truly comes down to a few things: ergonomics, budget and overall system. If the Fuji isn't meeting your needs and Pentax will, go for it.
01-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses guys .I see lot of guys are against the idea of me switching from fuji to pentax at this point. any ways here is the reasoning for me to consider the switch.
to start of i should say that between the k5 and the fuji system i did try the sony A7rii which was amazing but lack of ergonomics and the language (only Japanese cant change) and the prices of the lenses made me sell that gear
so back to fuji these are the problems i have found

ergonomics again the best ergonomics is Pentax hands down
Lack of IBIS.I have gotten used to ibis and i really miss it on the fuji
ability to crop. again i was spoiled by the 42mp sony monster
the XF 56mm lens. while this is a great lens it lacked bit of character when compared to the FE 55 i had ( the 3d pop and the quality of the bokeh)
ISO performance and dynamic range. specially when i try to recover shadows.( i see lot of noise)

I do realize that many of the complaints here are due to my lack of photographic ability and in better hands fuji will be able to overcome these shortcomings.
So the rationale behind me coming back to Pentax

Ergonomics
IBIS
Full weather sealing with DA 20-40mm
Love of the Pentax name :P

the reasons for the lens selection
DA 20-40mm weather sealing, affordability, good work around lens (dont have to change lenses all the time)
DA 15 i love wide angle. I used to have this lens and loved it back then
FA 77 full frame compatible and i have seen the 3D pop with this lens.
i love the build and the look of the pentax limited lenses

I know my DA lenses will work only in crop mode.but im happy to live with that considering the price and the weight of those lenses.
01-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
Thanks for the responses guys .I see lot of guys are against the idea of me switching from fuji to pentax at this point. any ways here is the reasoning for me to consider the switch.
to start of i should say that between the k5 and the fuji system i did try the sony A7rii which was amazing but lack of ergonomics and the language (only Japanese cant change) and the prices of the lenses made me sell that gear
so back to fuji these are the problems i have found

ergonomics again the best ergonomics is Pentax hands down
Lack of IBIS.I have gotten used to ibis and i really miss it on the fuji
ability to crop. again i was spoiled by the 42mp sony monster
the XF 56mm lens. while this is a great lens it lacked bit of character when compared to the FE 55 i had ( the 3d pop and the quality of the bokeh)
ISO performance and dynamic range. specially when i try to recover shadows.( i see lot of noise)

I do realize that many of the complaints here are due to my lack of photographic ability and in better hands fuji will be able to overcome these shortcomings.
So the rationale behind me coming back to Pentax

Ergonomics
IBIS
Full weather sealing with DA 20-40mm
Love of the Pentax name :P

the reasons for the lens selection
DA 20-40mm weather sealing, affordability, good work around lens (dont have to change lenses all the time)
DA 15 i love wide angle. I used to have this lens and loved it back then
FA 77 full frame compatible and i have seen the 3D pop with this lens.
i love the build and the look of the pentax limited lenses

I know my DA lenses will work only in crop mode.but im happy to live with that considering the price and the weight of those lenses.
All valid reasoning for the desire to come back, and some of the reasons (ergonomics being number one (and price) why I am back with Pentax. My gut says you would likely be happier with a used K3 or K5ii than a KS2, but not knowing you my gut is probably telling me what I would be happier with

The Limiteds are indeed a big draw to Pentax and are lovely!

Sounds like you've thought this through and are making a sound decision. Good luck!

01-09-2016, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Actually I think people are against the idea of you switching from Fuji to Pentax APS-C, and shortly after to Pentax FF. Why not go directly to Pentax FF?
01-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I have used an XPro1, x100 and XT1 and while they are nice, the IQ is clearly lacking, just my opinion though.

Money no object, I wouldn't pick the Fuji, if it had to be mirror less it would probably be Olympus or Sony.

The Fuji lenses just don't have a size advantage over the others. Not that size matters, but if you are going to buy a small body you ultimately want small lenses, yes the Sony lenses aren't small but the sensors are leagues ahead so there is the trade off.

There is just no escaping the issue of the X-trans sensor.

Anyway, off topic we are.

Let's hope the new FF Pentax has a wonderful sensor.
It's not the X-Trans as much as the RAW conversion software. From what I've read, Iridient Developer (for MacOS) really makes the Fuji files sing in terms of detail. But I think the latest Adobe ACR is improved, too.
01-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #22
DHA
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
The Fuji system you have is amazing, that Fuji glass is simply superb and the IQ of the XT-1 is great. You would, I believe, miss the Fuji.

I came back to Pentax from Fuji, but didn't have the glass you did (had the XT-1, 18, 35 and 55-200, and previously had the 23, 60 and 18-55). I now have 2 K3's, 15, 21, 77, 300 and 16-50 and 50-135. I could never have afforded such a comprehensive Fuji system.

Optically, I think the 15 and 77 I have are excellent, are less expensive (used) but slower compared to the Fuji. I just ordered a 21. I expect it to be very good, but Fuji's 23 is one of the best I've ever used in that 35mm equivalent focal length.

The Pentax FF is an unknown at this point, although I'm sure it will offer a lot of bang for the buck, as Pentax does with its APS cameras. What is in question is how FF will be supported with a lens lineup (beyond what is announced and legacy glass).

If budget is a concern, Pentax is a great kit (used, my two K3's cost about what I sold my XT-1 for). But since you already own amazing glass for Fuji and the current top of the line body, I'd personally wait and see what the Pentax FF truly offers before you sell off.
I concur, I'm a Fuji and Pentax shooter and if it were me I'd wait until I saw what comes down the pipe. You have excellent Fuji glass and I don't know if you'll find any improved performance with any APSC from Pentax. I love what my Fuji JPegs give me in B/W settings. I can't duplicate those images with my K3 and any of my stellar Pentax and Sigma lenses. I wish I could. That being said, I love my Sigma macros and teles on my Pentax. It's a strange world with many choices. Keep your Fuji system and research what the Pentax FF will give you....but only buy FF Pentax glass IMHO. Get some of those F or FA 50mms....and stay away from the Limiteds that are now made in Vietnam...they aren't the same quality as their Japan versions. Don

01-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Maybe a K50 and Tamron 28-75 would get you back into the Pentax mode of operation? I haven't tried Fuji but clearly it's getting a lot of respect here.
A man after my own heart. I shoot weddings and the Tamron 28-75 seldom moves from my primary body. This is a gem of a lens that does not get a lot of love. For what I do it the perfect lens.
01-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DHA Quote
...and stay away from the Limiteds that are now made in Vietnam...they aren't the same quality as their Japan versions. Don
I've heard that sentiment expressed from time to time. On what do you base that statement? If you mean in build quality or image quality, I frankly don't think that's true. If you mean in terms of QC or copy variation or something, that's something that only Ricoh knows for sure.

I know the Made in Japan versions have a certain cachet, and I understand that. But I see absolutely no difference in terms of quality between my two MIJ FA Limiteds and my one AIV FA Limited.
01-10-2016, 12:17 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I've heard that sentiment expressed from time to time. On what do you base that statement? If you mean in build quality or image quality, I frankly don't think that's true. If you mean in terms of QC or copy variation or something, that's something that only Ricoh knows for sure.

I know the Made in Japan versions have a certain cachet, and I understand that. But I see absolutely no difference in terms of quality between my two MIJ FA Limiteds and my one AIV FA Limited.
I agree. All of my three amigos are MIV and there is nothing wrong with the image quality of any of them. I suppose Ricoh QC is consistent across the board.
01-10-2016, 03:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I can understand, now, your desire to come straight back into the Pentax system; WR and ergonomics can be very important, and IBIS has saved more of my shots than I can count. It's also excellent if you are an old-glass fan, for obvious reasons. Having both the 21 and the 40, I see why the 20-40 with a WR body is on your radar. As I said above, your intended spread of lenses is a good one. I got the DA 70 rather than the FA77, but that was a personal decision made in part on cost grounds, and my priorities are not necessarily your priorities.

If the cost of selling off Fuji and buying an APS-C Pentax body then taking a loss on it when you move over to the K1 is something you can bear, by all means do so. But I trust you can understand our desire to save you the costs involved in this interim step.
01-10-2016, 05:13 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is up to you. If it were me, I would just start collecting full frame K mount lenses and use them on my Fuji camera via adapter till the full frame camera comes out. Maybe start with the FA limiteds, or some of the older classics. It is just that the full frame camera should be 3-ish months away right now and it feels like you would waste money buying a transition body that you really don't want in the long run -- unless you plan to shoot both full frame and APS-C (I do, but not sure if that is your plan).
01-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
Ergonomics
I think this is the most important. Maybe the ONLY factor in fact. All cameras made today can take images that are at the limit and usually way beyond the abilities of the photographers using them. Jumping around from this brand to that changes little in the actual image quality. What does have an impact is the ergonomics. How does the camera feel in your hand, how are the controls laid out, how easy are the menus to navigate.

In short: do you like and enjoy using the camera or is it a pain? That is the only question that needs answered unless you are doing this for a living. In that case you use the tool you need to get the job done and then go home.
01-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I would venture to suggest that if using the camera is a pain, you aren't going to be as efficient making a living out of it as you otherwise might be. So the ergonomics, control layout, menu accessibility, etc. make a difference whether you are doing it for business or for pleasure. Granted, you might be willing to take a hit in ergonomic or workflow terms to have something that an ergonomically better-integrated camera simply can't offer, but in that case we're talking professional photographers with years of experience who know how to pick and choose among their various options.

I am quite happy to concede, for example, that there are some Canon and Nikon cameras and lenses which will do things current Pentax cameras simply cannot do, BUT I do not need to do those things and Pentax does everything I need it to do (and in terms of back-compatibility with old glass, it does it better than almost anything else - Leicaphiles are welcome to chime in with regard to whether anything at all has changed in their mount since Adam & Eve were in the nursery).