Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 03:21 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Estimation is both a science and an art; it has nothing to do with making up numbers.
And sometimes reality is a bit different then science and art where predicting. That's why Nikon had way to many products in their warehouses over the last years of all consumer camera's.

---------- Post added 31-01-16 at 11:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
How many here have actually used a Theta? It's great and crappy in equal measure. People that see and sample it for the first time are usually amazed by its looks and function, but Ricoh has a lot of work to do on the software side before the Theta is ready for the mass market. The apps and the website feel like they are from 2003, i.e., lots of friction in the workflow, image management, and distribution.

And regarding the necessity for FF...why don't people apply the same "they need full frame or else they are doomed" dictum to Fuji?
Theta needs a lot of work done on. I think that it is worth wil investing in. For those apps they need to contract utside people do to them right.

01-31-2016, 03:31 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And sometimes reality is a bit different then science and art where predicting. That's why Nikon had way to many products in their warehouses over the last years of all consumer camera's.
Well, it's called 'estimation' and not 'immutable fact'
Unfortunately, some managers consider them to be the latter, and are surprised when a task doesn't take exactly what the estimate said it should. Or they think that, if they pressure people into giving lower estimates, that would "motivate" the team to finish the task earlier. But that's another story...
01-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And regarding the necessity for FF...why don't people apply the same "they need full frame or else they are doomed" dictum to Fuji?
Because Fuji are mirrorless, and thus immune from criticism.

(Okay, I'm being more than a little flippant here, but sometimes it seems that way.)
01-31-2016, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #94
Pentaxian

Indeed, for Fuji the logic is: if they don't have FF, that's because nobody really needs it.

For Pentax it's more complicated: when they didn't have nor announced the FF, they were doomed because they didn't had a FF - which everybody needed. The 645 project itself irremediably doomed the company, because it was done instead the almighty FF.
But now that they're making the FF, they're doomed because, well, nobody really needs it.

01-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #95
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, for Fuji the logic is: if they don't have FF, that's because nobody really needs it.

For Pentax it's more complicated: when they didn't have nor announced the FF, they were doomed because they didn't had a FF - which everybody needed. The 645 project itself irremediably doomed the company, because it was done instead the almighty FF.
But now that they're making the FF, they're doomed because, well, nobody really needs it.

That sums it up nicely.
01-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Fujifilm is too far out of the 'game' and project that it is not cost effective to invest in FF. They've "thrown in the towel" to Canon and Nikon. The 645 project kept Pentax relevant. Mamiya, Hasselblad, and others in the medium format market don't have the type of legacy lenses as Pentax, which has kept Pentax relevant in APS-C. FF is essential for Pentax to remain relevant and to not go backwards.

For Canon and Nikon and Sony, it's a numbers game. But I must say that every Pentax move seems to have been highly and intelligently calculated. They won't become a brand for the masses, but they can remain viable if they don't waste money where they can't win. Canon and Nikon spends millions to keep T5's and D3300's in stores. It isn't rocket science to know how Pentax is able to produce the K-50 for the same amount yet with many more quality features; lower overhead.
01-31-2016, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is just a joke..It must be..
02-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #98
Pentaxian

@Alex645: Sorry, but I respectfully agree with myself
There are Fuji-related videos made by Internet "experts" explaining how APS-C is all you'll ever need; and fans claiming the same.

Pentax-side, I've seen it happening, including the outrage when they decided to make the 645 instead of a FF. Actually, when they decided to make anything instead of a FF. And how we have threads like this.
I'm not saying it makes any sense, because it doesn't; it's complaining for the sake of complaining.

02-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
This thread is just a joke..It must be..
It is - for everyone except Ron.

---------- Post added 01-02-16 at 06:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree....
Settle down. Kunzite's post was obviously a joke....
02-01-2016, 01:44 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Technically speaking it was sarcasm, directed against the endless and irrational negativity. But it's not always obvious in writing...
02-01-2016, 01:53 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There are Fuji-related videos made by Internet "experts" explaining how APS-C is all you'll ever need; and fans claiming the same.
Is Ed both, internet expert and fan?

02-01-2016, 02:04 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Don't get me started...
02-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #103

Don't get me started...
Let him be..... Ron is still wanting APS-H, even he said so in Samsung forum (DPR). You know him don't want fullframe.

On the other side, We are about to get fullframe, just three weeks away. So debating whether we will need fullframe or not, is simply.....waste of time.

Last edited by afan137; 02-01-2016 at 02:23 AM.
02-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Technically speaking it was sarcasm, directed against the endless and irrational negativity. But it's not always obvious in writing...
No worries....understood. But there are undoubtedly many viewing these threads and not knowing it's sarcasm (like me). May the farce be with you!
02-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Sorry about that... I'm quite sick of all this negativity (so far from constructive criticism!), and people should clearly see the expression on my face when I'm writing... oops!
And yes, I think the FF is a very good idea, I think it's still time to develop a FF DSLR system (DSLRs still outnumbering MILCs by almost 3:1), and I actually plan to buy one - and a bunch of new lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
Let him be..... Ron is still wanting APS-H, even he said so in Samsung forum (DPR). You know him don't want fullframe.

On the other side, We are about to get fullframe, just three weeks away. So debating whether we will need fullframe or not, is simply.....waste of time.
Ron, Ed, RiceHigh... they can't change anything.
Closed Thread