Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #76
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
We live in a world where Google rules. So getting in the door with Google is the future.

01-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, a certain broadcast news network experimented with 5D for their handheld remote location shots. Their videographers could not successfully focus the dSLR format devices, but they LOVED the Canon color profile.

Did they try Canon professional shoulder-mount vidcams? NO!! They custom-built a Sony > Canon color profile emulator and pulled the Sony came out of storage. Because they know Sony and have Sony Studio Vidcams.

Theta is not and never will be a professional device. It is a throw-away consumer toy that will receive an upgrade on a 15 month cycle until the fad passes. VR is helmet or goggles to view and multi-HiRes cameras to record and massive processing power to stitch.
01-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
We live in a world where Google rules. So getting in the door with Google is the future.
Hummm... not quite sure about that.
Educated websurfers are not majority, but they know about other engines if they want their personnal data to be protected.
01-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #79

You don't think the possibility that many Canon shooter is looking 645Z and they want accompanied camera which is smaller yet maintaining good image quality. Pentax FF is certainly needed, and there is no question about that. I know the OP is disappointed because of his idea about APS-H was not well accepted.

01-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #80

Photos: Albums
Marketing magic number - 35 and who coined the term FF? As you would not like to have anything that is half-empty to begin with, yet "cropped"...

How about Choke-Full Fat Frame (CFFF) 645Z? Would that make me take good pictures? I doubt it, unfortunately.

BTW, totally agree with the OP.

Last edited by dreamfoto; 01-29-2016 at 03:46 PM.
01-30-2016, 02:26 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Doomed posts contradicted by facts and commonsense, how long will it last ?
01-30-2016, 02:47 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You have to start to invest those 25.000.000 $ to get a step to your customers and put the K-1 in shops.
Yes, but that's an investment (a cash advance actually) and it's not a loss as long as the inventory will be sold. I don't know what is the minimum production batch size, but I don't think this is as much as 25000. In my profession, we buy complex electronic systems that are produced in batches of 10 or 20 units by Jabil / Malaysia and at a very low cost, and we even buy PCBs produced in sets of two units with the same quality as if it was produced in 10000 units. So, very honestly, I think that they can even produce less than 1000 units at first even if that costs more per unit (BTW, aren't introduction prices higher and then slowly drop as production gets more efficient?). The decision that was taken to release a Pentax full frame DSLR in 2016 not earlier than 2016, is another topic.

01-30-2016, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #83
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, but that's an investment (a cash advance actually) and it's not a loss as long as the inventory will be sold. I don't know what is the minimum production batch size, but I don't think this is as much as 25000. In my profession, we buy complex electronic systems that are produced in batches of 10 or 20 units by Jabil / Malaysia and at a very low cost, and we even buy PCBs produced in sets of two units with the same quality as if it was produced in 10000 units. So, very honestly, I think that they can even produce less than 1000 units at first even if that costs more per unit (BTW, aren't introduction prices higher and then slowly drop as production gets more efficient?). The decision that was taken to release a Pentax full frame DSLR in 2016 not earlier than 2016, is another topic.
In part this is right that you don't order all materials to produce a 25.000 run production. The money spend on such a volume is probably more expensive then that. The 25.000 would be a number for Ricoh to aim at selling in 2016. I do wonder if the camera will be on sale only Starting at april 1, because that would be the new fiscal year in Japan. So setting up a production line that can make 2000 units a month with some margin would be the goal. At first you have a two month production run to release the camera in many markets where there is no stock at all currently. If you aim lower in production then thè price will be more Hi I guess. I don't think selling 2.000 units a month at the right price would be a problem.
01-30-2016, 06:18 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Discussing the future of Pentax FF with completely made up numbers. Priceless.
01-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, if you think about it, and go this way, most PF thread would be a waste of time. Just imagine for yourself how much time you spend on PF, and how much it changed your life.
01-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #86
Veteran Member

This made me laugh! Thank you for that!
01-31-2016, 02:19 AM   #87
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How do you think that production planning works for a new product to the market? There is someone making an estimation on the succes of sales. There is a plant manager who wants to know how many labortime is needed for production and how many products need to be made. There are suppliers who want to know how they need to plan their production. Basicly you do plan for a camera like K-1 a production run, Wheater this is a continue production or a batch. If production would start coming monday and presentation is at cp+ and market availability is april first, then you already have made decisions on the production capacity for the coming months.
01-31-2016, 02:53 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Estimation is both a science and an art; it has nothing to do with making up numbers.
01-31-2016, 02:54 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many here have actually used a Theta? It's great and crappy in equal measure. People that see and sample it for the first time are usually amazed by its looks and function, but Ricoh has a lot of work to do on the software side before the Theta is ready for the mass market. The apps and the website feel like they are from 2003, i.e., lots of friction in the workflow, image management, and distribution.

And regarding the necessity for FF...why don't people apply the same "they need full frame or else they are doomed" dictum to Fuji?
01-31-2016, 02:59 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Fuji might be content to be a niche player; if that works for them, they're not "doomed". Ricoh Imaging, OTOH, is a bit more ambitious. They could have stayed APS-C (and 645, Q) only, but that doesn't fit with their plans.
Besides, a hipster brand is easier to sell for a premium.
Closed Thread