Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
We are still waiting for FF but there are few issues that K-1 might face. What if Pentax FF is not a pro gear?

Flash system is still mediocre compare to Canon and Nikon, poor auto focus features, and slow updates.

These are always problem for Pentax. Since Pentax is making FF, they should start focus on professional field.

Right now, it's not good. It might just a big crop camera with FF sensor.

I'm talking about PROFESSIONAL.
Lets be clear, these are not problems for Pentax, these are problems for you.

If they were making this camera for me, and many on the others, it would be a bare bones K1000 type of camera with no advanced features. Since I plan to use it mainly for landscape, I'd be happy using it with lenses with DoF scales and no AF, since most landscape is hyperfocal.

So, while I appreciate your post... it's all about you. Many don't use flash, get good images with manual focus lenses.

And right now no one has any idea what it is,
QuoteQuote:
Right now, it's not good.
Maybe for you it's not good. We get it. For me right now it's perfect.
For me, I hope they don't include a bunch of features I can't afford and won't use. After all, if I could afford a full frame fast focusing great flash system, I would have bought it. I think Pentax needs to put out something that will appeal to those who've used their dollars to support the company all these years, if they want to put out a pro camera as well, I've no issue with that. But if it's one or the other, I think something for the average Pentax shooter should come first.

After all, we are the people who appreciate what Pentax has been, why should they dump us for guys like you?

01-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #32
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Lets be clear, these are not problems for Pentax, these are problems for you.

If they were making this camera for me, and many on the others, it wold be a bare bones K1000 type of camera with no advanced features. Since I plan to use it mainly for landscape, I'd be happy using it with lenses with DoF scales and no AF, since most landscape is hyperfocal.

So, while I appreciate your post... it's all about you. Many don't use flash, get good images with manual focus lenses.

And right now no one has any idea what it is,

Maybe for you it's not good. We get it. For me right now it's perfect.
For me, I hope they don't include a bunch of features I can't afford and won't use. After all, if I could afford a full frame fast focusing great flash system, I would have bought it. I think Pentax needs to put out something that will appeal to those who've used their dollars to support the company all these years, if they want to put out a pro camera as well, I've no issue with that. But it's one or the other, I think something for the average Pentax shooter should come first.
I'm talking about Professional views. Did you even check the title?
01-10-2016, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Time for preemptive de-viewing of this thread so I can cross the bridge without paying the toll.
01-10-2016, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

No, it needs to be affordable.
Otherwise I will not buy it, and if I don't buy it then what's the point of selling it?

01-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #35
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
No, it needs to be affordable.
Otherwise I will not buy it, and if I don't buy it then what's the point of selling it?
If that FF is for customer or hobbits, if should affordable.

However, they already mentioned that this FF is for professional. You can't expect affordable price which might be around $2000~3000
01-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Time for preemptive de-viewing of this thread so I can cross the bridge without paying the toll.
I'm with you... apparently I'm not "pro" enough.
01-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If that FF is for customer or hobbits, if should affordable.

However, they already mentioned that this FF is for professional. You can't expect affordable price which might be around $2000~3000
If they already mentioned this FF is for professionsals, what's your problem/issue?

By the way are YOU a professional?

01-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #38
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
If they already mentioned this FF is for professionsals, what's your problem/issue?

Semi pro.

---------- Post added 01-10-16 at 08:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote

We'll see then.
01-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #39
Pentaxian

The more $, the more PRO.
01-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #40

Honestly, if Pentax doesn't do what you need it to do now in your semi-pro capacity, you chose the wrong system.

The "cons" you addressed can be issues, depending upon your shooting style. The FF may address some of these, but I don't think anyone expects the K1 to meet or exceed the high end Canikons for speed. Where it will likely beat them is ergonomics and bang for the buck.

Pentax simply doesn't have the lens or flash ecosystem you seem to desire for a "Pro" camera, nor will it (I can't imagine Pentax quickly coming out with specialty lenses like tilt/shift, fast telephotos (300, 400 2.8's, etc ...)
01-10-2016, 08:59 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Semi pro.
Then you will showcase your work via a link to your official website here surely and we can assess it to understand what level of work you are so concerned about.

Not a single semi-pro in the world would not offer to do this.
01-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Then you will showcase your work via a link to your official website here surely and we can assess it to understand what level of work you are so concerned about.

Not a single semi-pro in the world would not offer to do this.
I am sad, you killed the troll/thread .
01-10-2016, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

OP, based on your post history you've ascended the ranks to semi-pro really quickly! Maybe you can give lessons to others so that they can improve their skills like you have.
01-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
Where it will likely beat them is ergonomics

Good point. Once again, Pentax is a winner for me.
PRO photographers surely need PRO grip.

01-10-2016, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After all, we are the people who appreciate what Pentax has been, why should they dump us for guys like you?
If that FF is for customer or hobbits, if should affordable. However, they already mentioned that this FF is for professional. You can't expect affordable price which might be around $2000~3000
very good point. According to kenspo comment on the K-3III thread, there's won't be any new APSC camera anytime soon. If true, I draw the conclusion that Ricoh will have put all of their resources on the full frame project and lenses, in other words, they are going to bet and make their revenue from a single product line. There comes the risk of pricing the full frame not precisely at the sweet spot of sales:
- If they price the full frame aggressively, they'll capture the volumes of most of their serviceable market, but the profitability won't be best
- if they price it at the pro-level, profit per unit will be great, but volumes won't materialize
- if they price it mid-way between enthusiast and pro, volumes will be average part of user base, which is already low

We can see that two users (normhead and sunshine7913) don't have the same expectations in terms of features and price. That's the problem that Nikon and Canon solve buy offering a range of product/features priced all the way from cheapest to expensive. Nikon having covered FF users all the way from D600 to D5, and Canon covering from 6D to 5Ds. Tricky for Ricoh... Ricoh bets the house on a single product line while already having a significantly smaller user base compared to Canon and Nikon. So if the sales of the Pentax FF take off, good, but if not, Ricoh imaging may screw-up very badly (I'm wondering it that's a bright future?). That's why it would be smarter to introduce a basic Pentax FF (a K-3 24Mp FF cam like some Pentaxians suggested a few years ago) and a pro-level Pentax FF, but Ricoh did not do that...

Generally speaking, it's best to offer three products: cheap, mid-level and premium. So either you consider cheap = APSC, mid-level = FF and high-end = MF , or, if APSC is not the cheap anymore, then a 3 FF product range is ideal.