Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

The Next phase.

I haven't been on here in a LOOOOOONG time but I am getting back into photography. I have a k1000, which I love and miss using... I have a K10d which has done fine for me.. but we are not friends like my K1000. We could read each others minds it seems. Anyway, my point is, I am waiting like the most of us, waiting to see what this full frame body is like. I also have a ton of equipment I need to sell as well. (mamiya with a lot of stuff.) My comment/question is: am I am missing out on a really good body by Pentax by waiting for the FF body? It's all because I miss using my 50mm lens. I have some really good glass for K-mount ( mostly all manual though) that I either want to use again or sell.

01-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no reason not to see what's available in your area as regards film processing. Grab a roll or two and run them through the K1000 again. What do you have to lose? And if you've got a Pentax DSLR, your old Pentax glass will work on that too (albeit at a 1.5X apparent field of view). Get it out, use it all, but if you have even the slightest thought about getting the full frame, DO NOT SELL IT.

If my old *ist-DL had not died, I would never have replaced it with my K-5. Struggle on with the K10D while you wait for the full-frame and you will be a few hundred dollars to the good when it comes to buying that expensive beastie when it first appears. In the meantime, as I said, scout around for somewhere that will process film and somewhere that will sell it to you, drag the K1000 out of mothballs and get cracking.
01-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best body currently is the k-3 / k-3II, essentially the same except k-3 has on board flash and the k-3II has instead an on board GPS. But those are APS-C size sensors. If you want to jump in now that is the way to go. Otherwise you might wait a few months to see what the FF brings. Although there will most likely be a sizable price difference between the K-3 and the future FF.
01-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
thank you. my worries is that I will do something stupid and the K1000 will break and this time for good. I would never sell my K1000 or my glass. I want to see what the FF does and is priced and then see what other options I have. I have to learn about aps_c and all that Jazz. I forgot when I bough my K10D, I have produced some good images, but I don't don't know why I haven't totally feel in love with it. Again... the 1.5x and I was stuck for auto focus glass. I have learned that the if you know your camera and you have used it a lot, the work of producing good imagery seems to be less of an effort. I will see what happens this Feb. (so just to review. I will never sell my K1000. I am going to be buried with it. or in it)

01-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

One of the things about the old 35mm film cameras is they naturally have larger viewfinders, making manual focusing a pleasure. Manual focusing on crop sensor DSLRs, even those with real pentaprisms like the K-3, is a chore by comparison. Some of us just can't do it anymore. (Forget about manual focusing on those silly little pentamirror Rebels. :-)

The reason I mention this is that a good part of your previous positive experience with the K1000 is might be related to manual focusing. That might be one factor in favor of waiting for the FF, even if you don't need or care about the other benefits of FF.
01-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
you know.. that's a good point. I do a lot of manual focusing. Not only is because it's the way I learned, but I really use things like shallow DOF and things like. I hadn't thought about that.
01-31-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've got to admit, the thought of a full-frame Pentax with a split prism focusing screen is appealing. Maybe with vintage glass, or maybe with those new Samyangs. . . The Samyangs are huge and heavy, but they do perform. Lock the ISO and put it into aperture priority mode, and it'd be just like the good old days.