Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If only they would…
No kidding, there should be a law, if you say you're leaving more than once, you have to go.

01-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #62
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
the sensor could be liquid-cooled
Nah that would be like putting ice in whisky... it's just not done, it mucks up the flavours.
01-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No kidding, there should be a law, if you say you're leaving more than once, you have to go.
I think to be fair it should be "three strikes", that has history going for anyway. Come on, anybody can get steamed enough to say they are leaving twice.
01-13-2016, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Pentax is making a FF camera? When did I miss that announcement
Yes, and evidently it's steam-powered. I missed that in the specs.

01-14-2016, 01:03 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wait, Pentax is still making cameras??? And FF at that?

I thought that they were doomed since, let me see, early 2000?

)
01-14-2016, 01:43 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Wait, Pentax is still making cameras??? And FF at that?

I thought that they were doomed since, let me see, early 2000?

)
They do. Pentax is now preparing a FF DOOM-1 (Digital Out of Ordinary Model) camera
01-14-2016, 03:19 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Wait, Pentax is still making cameras??? And FF at that? I thought that they were doomed since, let me see, early 2000?
This kind of comments... I can't stop laughing. I hope that we could still comment on PF if Ricoh would stop Pentax activities, that would be so much fun to send you back your own comments. I can also talk complete non-sense, it's very easy.
01-14-2016, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
They do. Pentax is now preparing a FF DOOM-1 (Digital Out of Ordinary Model) camera
Oh! I know at last what "Pentax is DOOMed" means:

Pentax is Digital Out of Ordinary Model with Extra low Dispersion!

Thanks redpit!

01-14-2016, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #69
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This kind of comments... I can't stop laughing. I hope that we could still comment on PF if Ricoh would stop Pentax activities, that would be so much fun to send you back your own comments. I can also talk complete non-sense, it's very easy.
You know, there was a time when Hoya was running the operation that I was truly worried about the future of Pentax. New glass announcements pretty much dried up -- except for weather sealing of existing glass. It was clear that they were at best a care taker and if Ricoh hadn't purchased Pentax, they easily could have shut down the camera operation.

At present though, whether or not Ricoh is spending a lot on advertising, they are investing in the R and D side of things. And they have a history of making things work in their other businesses. They may not gain market share over night, but I think they will continue to release competitive products priced to sell and market share will increase.

No one knows the future. Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Canon, or Nikon -- anyone of them (except for Nikon) could decide to give up their ILC business tomorrow -- so for that matter could Pentax, but it sure feels like they are on better footing now than in the dark days of 2006/2007.
01-14-2016, 03:37 AM   #70
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
There will be buttons
Your source for this, please. Link, if possible.
01-14-2016, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
DOOM-1 I like it!
Attached Images

01-14-2016, 04:43 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You know, there was a time when Hoya was running the operation that I was truly worried about the future of Pentax. New glass announcements pretty much dried up -- except for weather sealing of existing glass. It was clear that they were at best a care taker and if Ricoh hadn't purchased Pentax, they easily could have shut down the camera operation. At present though, whether or not Ricoh is spending a lot on advertising, they are investing in the R and D side of things. And they have a history of making things work in their other businesses. They may not gain market share over night, but I think they will continue to release competitive products priced to sell and market share will increase. No one knows the future. Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Canon, or Nikon -- anyone of them (except for Nikon) could decide to give up their ILC business tomorrow -- so for that matter could Pentax, but it sure feels like they are on better footing now than in the dark days of 2006/2007.
Yes, I much prefer honest comment like yours. Especially when I know some people promote and defend Pentax on Pentax Forum, sell most of their Pentax gear on the market place , and buy Nikon in the background... to me that is hypocrisy.
01-14-2016, 04:54 AM   #73
Site Supporter

Especially when I know some people promote and defend Pentax on Pentax Forum, sell most of their Pentax gear on the market place , and buy Nikon in the background... to me that is hypocrisy.
Them's fightin' words.
01-14-2016, 05:04 AM   #74
Site Supporter

Yes, I much prefer honest comment like yours. Especially when I know some people promote and defend Pentax on Pentax Forum, sell most of their Pentax gear on the market place , and buy Nikon in the background... to me that is hypocrisy.
A lot of people shoot multiple brands and have Pentax gear along side of Nikon or Canon full frame cameras/lenses. It is no big deal. Depending on Pentax's full frame camera, many may choose to sell their Nikon or Canon cameras and shoot with only Pentax -- although that depends on how full a lens line up Pentax has.

I just get frustrated by people who are all doom and gloom, when to me, the brand is brighter now than it has been in a long time.

I wasn't sure for the first two years after Ricoh purchased Pentax, if they really knew what they were doing. Nothing was happening and we kept getting messages about consolidation and designing plans for the future and combining operations. But since then we have gotten lenses like the DA 16-85, DFA 24-70 (I know it is a Tamron, but it's still a nice lens), DFA 150-450 and camera bodies -- K3, K3 II, K S-1 and 2 and 645Z. And in the states, pricing is the best on new gear that it has been since just after Hoya took over.

We'll see. I'm no prophet, but I would be more likely to predict good times ahead than the opposite at this point.
01-14-2016, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Them's fightin' words.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A lot of people shoot multiple brands and have Pentax gear along side of Nikon or Canon full frame cameras/lenses. It is no big deal.

Yeah. Nobody ever said an enthusiastic Pentax shooter who can afford it had to shoot ONLY Pentax. This is after all photography; this is not "I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD, YOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER GODS BUT ME." Leave that cr*p for theologists to argue over and just buy the best f&*%^& cameras that suit your particular needs, okay? Who bloody cares if someone runs two systems in parallel? If you like Pentax, sing its praises - and those praises will be JUST AS VALID as if it were the only thing you shot.