Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I am not sure what FF means. Some of my guesses are Final Fantasy camera, Fantasy Football camera, Fantastic Four camera, Fast Food camera, Family Feud camera, or Fast Forward camera. I guess the Pentax is doomed crowd already thinks it stands for Fatally Flawed camera.
I figured every lens other than my Fast Fifty would auto-crop...

01-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #77
Pentaxian

As long as Pentax keeps the beloved M42 screw mount we should be happy with the new camera. As a company they are doomed if they ever change the mount to say a bayonet type one.
01-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
As long as Pentax keeps the beloved M42 screw mount we should be happy with the new camera. As a company they are doomed if they ever change the mount to say a bayonet type one.
Yes. I can't imagine Pentaxians losing the pleasure of changing screwmount lenses bare-handed at -40. They'll move over to Zenit in hordes.
01-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #79
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Yes. I can't imagine Pentaxians losing the pleasure of changing screwmount lenses bare-handed at -40. They'll move over to Zenit in hordes.
Which only begs the question, when will the Krasnogorsk factory re-enter camera manufacturing and release the long awaited "Zenit Digimat"?, with 6Mp FF sensor and a host of other innovations?

01-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I did that in Prince George, Edmonton and the NWT and none of those sissy zoom lenses either.
01-14-2016, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I spent my money on a 645D instead. I may still get a FF, but I'm not feeling a sense of urgency about it and probably won't be pre-ordering.
01-14-2016, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
They do. Pentax is now preparing a FF DOOM-1 (Digital Out of Ordinary Model) camera
Wait, the new FF comes with the new Doom preinstalled? That must be the reason they waited until 2016...

I thought FF meant it came with the Final Fantasy series of games installed...

:-)

- Eric

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(series)

01-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #83

...I pretttty sure there's crazy glue on that front paw...
01-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That will be spring 2016, could be up to June 2016, still a long way to go.
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I spent my money on a 645D instead. I may still get a FF, but I'm not feeling a sense of urgency about it and probably won't be pre-ordering.
645D is most likely where my money will end up as well. I just don't know how low it will go which is part of the reason I'm still on holding off.
01-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
645D is most likely where my money will end up as well. I just don't know how low it will go which is part of the reason I'm still on holding off.
The 645D is definitely a bargain and a step up from APSC. That being said, I see the A7RII + Zeiss Batis lenses as a competitor offer: simply the image quality with the Sony BSI sensor in combination with the lens, I think it's as good as or even better compared to the output of a 645D, but the A7RII+Zeiss prime combo is way smaller, although if you don't have a 645D, you can't claim shooting MF or be seen as a pro, and the A7RII AF is also likely better the AF of the 645D.
01-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The 645D is definitely a bargain and a step up from APSC. That being said, I see the A7RII + Zeiss Batis lenses as a competitor offer: simply the image quality with the Sony BSI sensor in combination with the lens, I think it's as good as or even better compared to the output of a 645D, but the A7RII+Zeiss prime combo is way smaller, although if you don't have a 645D, you can't claim shooting MF or be seen as a pro, and the A7RII AF is also likely better the AF of the 645D.
From what I've seen viewing files from both cameras on a 27" Retina iMac the A7RII + Zeiss Batis is an excellent combo but I haven't seen it match the 645D when the 645D is really spot on.

The A7RII seems way more versatile and easy to use though. If I end up in the FF category it probably wouldn't be for a while as both the K1 and A7RII will fall in price over the next year and I'd like to see where everything ends up at the end of 2016.
01-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
From what I've seen viewing files from both cameras on a 27" Retina iMac the A7RII + Zeiss Batis is an excellent combo but I haven't seen it match the 645D when the 645D is really spot on.

The A7RII seems way more versatile and easy to use though. If I end up in the FF category it probably wouldn't be for a while as both the K1 and A7RII will fall in price over the next year and I'd like to see where everything ends up at the end of 2016.
Just as with Pentax FF I had some 645 lenses (and a 645) already so That helped steer me that way. I didn't want to start into yet another system either. If I want to go light I run the crop stuff and if I want to go slow I bring the 645D. I wouldn't rule out FF filling the middle ground there at some point but for now I'm loving the D and my old primes plus a couple of newer (still film era) zooms.
Works for me so far!
01-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Which only begs the question, when will the Krasnogorsk factory re-enter camera manufacturing and release the long awaited "Zenit Digimat"?, with 6Mp FF sensor and a host of other innovations?
I've actually been tempted to contact them and start a crowdfunding for such a thing... Don't tempt me. They'd probably go for it is the sad part...

10MP Pentax K and m42 models, Full frame, no AF, no IS, split prism, manual dial controls...

Zenit with a sensor in it. Done.

If Pentax Doesn't hurry up, it may be my only course of action.
01-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We've already had someone put up a concept picture for a "Spotmatic D" somewhere on Pentax Forums and yeah, I can see such a thing flying in a few years. There would be a lot of people who would buy such a thing, even if it were bare-bones without even a rear screen and you had to take the SD card out and put it in a cellphone or tablet to see the pictures. Given the processing power and wireless linking of even basic-level tablets these days (e.g. to printers), that would not be a heavy price to pay.

Individual entrepreneurs have failed, but an established camera company with the appropriate technical know-how and existing production facilities (even old gear pulled out of mothballs) should easily succeed.