Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What are you hoping for?

As far as I know all the data that's relevant to me has been leaked. 36-42 MP, in body SR, pixel shift, pretty much the same back panel, so probably pretty much the same functions as a K-3.
Well I guess my point is that if we were to rely on the Ricoh website, we'd have been told that the Full Frame camera was surprisingly full frame, and that it took k-mount lenses with a crop mode available. No, I'm not expecting it to be a Nikon or a Canon - I'd just like to know something more about it - like why they designed the twisty screen like that, or what the new knob does - no great giveaways, just something to think about - and yes, I am impatient -not unreasonable under the circumstances

01-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
imagine the speculative riot the forum would be if pentax engineers actually posted their daily trials and tribulations from the lab. People would be wetting their pants daily. If it ever happens, i'm investing in whoever makes depends. :d

"the truth? You can't handle the truth." :d
this! ^^^^^^^^^^^^
01-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

They're telling me (and everyone else like me) I can expect to see the special character of the Princesses in files from the K-1. They haven't implied either way anything about updated FA Limiteds.
01-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Notice in the image data they say... " Lens used: HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited"

I wonder if the FA limiteds are getting a revamp, or is that just a typo

Very good catch...

01-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think it shows very clearly what the target market is for this camera.
Not necessarily. There can be multiple targets for this camera, with each target viewing/receiving marketing materials targeted towards their specific needs/desires. A single web page referencing legacy glass says little about Ricoh's overall marketing plans.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Also, a forthcomming upgrade of the 3 princesses looks suddendly more distant...
Wait? What's that sound? It's my wallet breathing a sigh of relief.
01-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I wonder if the FA limiteds are getting a revamp, or is that just a typo
My suspicion, if it's real and not a typo, is that with the HD coating process proven on the upgraded DA Limiteds and some of the other lenses (e.g. the WR variant of the 55-300 zoom), it's going to be rolled out across the remainder of the range and SMC will become a thing of the past. While this would be sort of sad from a historical viewpoint - "SMC" has after all been with us since the Takumar era, and is a defining mark of Pentax lenses - it will also be an indicator of progress. Also, if they're advertising HD FA lenses, that carries the strong implication of continued manufacture for the foreseeable future. You don't do all that optical research for nothing, and my gut feeling is that there's more to the SMC/HD swap than just putting the same elements through the new process - some lens designs might cough up nasty surprises if the coatings change, and you want to make sure that isn't going to happen and at least quantify the gains you're going to get.

The real question will be what else gets tweaked.
01-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think it shows very clearly what the target market is for this camera.
I wonder... uncrippled...
01-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I wonder... uncrippled...
We all live in hope, Bertwert. We all live in hope. Unfortunately, all of the "compatible with previous" talk particularly emphasises the FA series, so I think we will probably end up right where we are now.

Needless to say, I would LOVE to be proved wrong in this regard.

01-13-2016, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Really, someone said that? Just because other camera companies put out some cameras that made some of their older cheaper glass look bad, doesn't mean the FA ltd were ever in that category. I guess it just comes down to, if there's random order of arranging a series of words, , sooner or later, someone will say it, regardless of how little sense it makes. From everything I've seen, the thing about sensors out resolving lenses was a case of fears of idle minds, not the result of actual empire research.
It's not an issue for you anyway, as you're argued for the last three years, you don't need, you don't have the money and you have no interest in full frame.
01-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wait, what? Where did they say anything about "issues on FF because of SR"???
Sorry, it was the other way around.
They said, can't find where, that the 300mm had a larger actual coverage to allow SR to work on APS-C and do not cause a decrease in quality.
In other words, "just" APS-C coverage wasn't enough; now "APCS+" has become "good enough" for FF (whereas you would need "FF+"), and that's what they are maybe not saying but certainly implying with smartphone-sized thumbnails.
01-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Sorry, it was the other way around.
They said, can't find where, that the 300mm had a larger actual coverage to allow SR to work on APS-C and do not cause a decrease in quality.
In other words, "just" APS-C coverage wasn't enough; now "APCS+" has become "good enough" for FF (whereas you would need "FF+"), and that's what they are maybe not saying but certainly implying with smartphone-sized thumbnails.
what?
01-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #27

What's all this now?

The FF setting allows you to use a DA-series lens, with the focal length and angle of view you have become familiar with since the days of film photography

Are they telling me I'm gonna slap a DA zoom on there and get the angle of view that I would expect from a lens actually designed to be used on a 35mm sensor?

(the answer is obviously no)
01-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
What's all this now?

The FF setting allows you to use a DA-series lens, with the focal length and angle of view you have become familiar with since the days of film photography

Are they telling me I'm gonna slap a DA zoom on there and get the angle of view that I would expect from a lens actually designed to be used on a 35mm sensor?
I think they mean FA...?
01-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
what?
they have built apsc lenses with some margin, now they're implying that not only that margin was not that important, but said lenses are usable on ff, when by the same meter a lens built for ff should cover ff and then some to account for sr.
01-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think they mean FA...?
Or more likely the selection of DA lenses that are designed for FF. But that sure as heck ain't all of them. Not even all of the Limiteds.

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
they have built apsc lenses with some margin, now they're implying that not only that margin was not that important, but said lenses are usable on ff, when by the same meter a lens built for ff should cover ff and then some to account for sr.
Are the apsc lenses that work on ff designed to produce the same image circle as the ff lenses, margins and all?