Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
they have built apsc lenses with some margin, now they're implying that not only that margin was not that important, but said lenses are usable on ff, when by the same meter a lens built for ff should cover ff and then some to account for sr.
Yes, many of the DA lenses, like the 300mm, cover a full FF image circle. I'm not sure what is hard to understand about that.

01-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #32
Veteran Member

They should really hire a decent photographer to create better imagery for them. The images in the teaser are thoroughly uninspired, in they aren't full-scale anyway, so have no evaluative value, they might as well be pretty.
01-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
They should really hire a decent photographer to create better imagery for them. The images in the teaser are thoroughly uninspired, in they aren't full-scale anyway, so have no evaluative value, they might as well be pretty.
Exactly!
01-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
Or more likely the selection of DA lenses that are designed for FF. But that sure as heck ain't all of them. Not even all of the Limiteds.

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 12:25 PM ----------

Are the apsc lenses that work on ff designed to produce the same image circle as the ff lenses, margins and all?
As for the DA*300, there is some vignetting, who knows if the test shots were done with a tripod ( = SR off) or not.
At any rate, they are 1000 pixel wide, thus it's impossible to any meaningful conclusions regarding IQ, they prove nothing, they merely suggest.

01-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Pathdoc RE: HD designation in caption of 77Ltd. thumbnail

1. The SMC patent expired some time ago. Loss of license revenue contributed to the demise of old Pentax.
2. The new nano-particle coating process is a Ricoh/Pentax patent called HD
3. There have been several discussions of whether the existing FACTORY stock of SMC FA Limiteds is exhausted, which if true would suggest a new batch of FA Lim's is called for. Apparently the remaining stock of SMC lenses was shipped to the various regional distributors in 2015 and some of them are out-of-stock on one or two, which can no longer be ordered from factory.

Draw your own conclusion.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-13-2016 at 10:55 AM.
01-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
It says FA limiteds are going to shine.

Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

Also shows the articulating (whacky angle) LCD.
Quite disappointing information - or total lack of news. Building a camera teaser around outdated FA LTD 31, 43, 77 mm with shreaky AF and happy color fringes, ... APS-C glass not designed for fullframe DA*300, 55 and even older glass like the FA* 85, 24 looks pretty desperate. OK they started off showing the LX end of November maybe the future is about to arrive. so far no news - oh wait a minute they mentioned that the camera will be fullframe...

Nobody needs a revamped HD-FA 77 - a complete overhall, new AF motor ++ would be needed to arrive in the present. I did not like the purple fringes of the 77 on my K5, I also sold the 31 as it was over engineered for an APS-C normal angle lens.

I would have been happy to spend money on new Pentax lenses for a long time now, show me something new.
01-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Yes, many of the DA lenses, like the 300mm, cover a full FF image circle. I'm not sure what is hard to understand about that.
Nevermind... it all depends on how you define "cover".

01-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
show me something new.
I'll show you... THE DOOR!

Boriscleto'd.
01-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging is making a point with those articles - compatibility with existing lenses - and it's amazing how some people refuse to see it. The time and place for new product announcements will be at CP+, not in this teaser anyway.
But, this is complaining for the sake of complaining, it doesn't have to be logical.
01-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Notice in the image data they say... "• Lens used: HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited"

I wonder if the FA limiteds are getting a revamp, or is that just a typo
In another thread, it was pointed out the Japanese version says 'SMC'.
01-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
actual empire research.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Perhaps people are confusing me with Pentax.
Reveals his loyalties to the emperor, he does. - Yoda.
01-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
they have built apsc lenses with some margin, now they're implying that not only that margin was not that important, but said lenses are usable on ff, when by the same meter a lens built for ff should cover ff and then some to account for sr.
No all aps-c lenses have any marging. Here is a shot with DA 18-135 at 78mm where sensor is moved down right by composition adjustment. It is sure the image circle is smaller than the circle where sensor can move.

01-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
No all aps-c lenses have any marging. Here is a shot with DA 18-135 at 78mm where sensor is moved down right by composition adjustment. It is sure the image circle is smaller than the circle where sensor can move.
I have many such images taken with the 18-135. It is definitely not an FF lens. They kept it light. I can't think of another lens as affected thoguh.

Last edited by normhead; 01-13-2016 at 07:36 PM.
01-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #44
Pentaxian

So. Back to the micro site for a sec: I have to admit, the only thing that really caught my attention is the humble "I" - I know, it is nerdy and few we'll appreciate it. It is just not every day a global company talks to you in the voice of a single person. Combined with the ultra basic design of the site it makes me feel I am reading a blog from 2006. Come to think about, I actually wish they would run with that idea and make a point out of it. Imagine, the next update could be just a short notice to say the real update is postponed because "I" broke her leg and have been at hospital for the full week ..."
01-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I also sold the 31 as it was over engineered for an APS-C normal angle lens.
What could be wrong with an over engineered lens?