Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 01:27 AM   #61
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ooops. My bad. You can tell I don't own this lens.

WR is a useful point of difference in relation to the stock Tamron 24-70. Hopefully all the new Pentax lenses, even if they are Tamron designs, will also be WR.
the stock Tamron 24-70 is WR

01-16-2016, 03:57 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
the stock Tamron 24-70 is WR
It would be nice if Pentax improved the weather resistance of the 'stock' Tamron design. Pentax, after all, have a lot more experience with WR lenses than Tamron.

A casual glance at diagrams from both the Pentax and Tamron 24-70 marketing material (see below) suggests that Pentax may have added a few more WR seals to the stock Tamron design. The stock Tamron design appears to be sealed only at the base of the lens where it locks onto the camera body, whereas the Pentax lens has several more seals along the lens tube and behind the lens switches:

However an interview with the Tamron lens designers does suggest that the 'stock' Tamron design also includes seals around the zoom and focus rings, which are also illustrated in the Pentax lens. So I'm inclined to believe that Pentax haven't done anything to the Tamron design to improve the WR of the Pentax version of the lens.

QuoteQuote:
Abe Can you tell me about the moisture-resistant construction? I don't think I've heard about this much. How does it work?

Sato For Tamron, this was the first time we were working on a moisture-resistant construction. I wish I could say we succeeded in providing complete drip and dust-proofing. But this time, we did not achieve that stage, so we called it moisture-resistant construction.

Todani Simply put, it comes down to closing up the gaps between the moving parts. For example, we put a rubber cover on the lens mount to prevent rain water from entering through the gaps. It [a rubber cover/gasket?] also prevents water from seeping through the zoom and focus ring. The idea is for filler material to soak up the moisture to prevent it from gushing in, midstream, and to release it later. It can't endure long periods of exposure to rain fall, but effective enough to safe-keep delicate components like the USD which is especially.

Abe If it can keep water at bay even for a short period that helps a lot. There are times when I don't want to shoot in the rain, but am forced to do so, by necessity. But these occasions don't call for long stretches in the rain. So it really helps.

Last edited by rawr; 01-16-2016 at 04:04 AM.
01-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #63
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Quite disappointing information - or total lack of news. Building a camera teaser around outdated FA LTD 31, 43, 77 mm with shreaky AF and happy color fringes, ... APS-C glass not designed for fullframe DA*300, 55 and even older glass like the FA* 85, 24 looks pretty desperate. OK they started off showing the LX end of November maybe the future is about to arrive. so far no news - oh wait a minute they mentioned that the camera will be fullframe...

Nobody needs a revamped HD-FA 77 - a complete overhall, new AF motor ++ would be needed to arrive in the present. I did not like the purple fringes of the 77 on my K5, I also sold the 31 as it was over engineered for an APS-C normal angle lens.

I would have been happy to spend money on new Pentax lenses for a long time now, show me something new.
From my understanding the F series, especially the "Primes" are are working "Quite Remarkably well" and are in the process of being re engineered for greater performance and WR. Our F 50mm 1.7 was remarkable and ultra fast as well the F 28 was a bit slow but "outstanding" with IQ. That is part of the release hold up. Beta Beta Bye

Logging off for a few more months c'ya

Last edited by pento57mm; 01-16-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
01-17-2016, 02:00 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pento57mm Quote
That is part of the release hold up. Beta Beta Bye
Intriguing.

01-17-2016, 03:37 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If that's true, we could be looking at a surprise mass-release of camera and lenses. Not will, could. (Or at least the D-FA primes are in the pipeline rather than just pipe-dreams!) How exciting would that be! How many wallets and purses will scream in terror! So much LBA!
01-17-2016, 04:17 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If that's true, we could be looking at a surprise mass-release of camera and lenses.
When Pentax launched K-mount (with the K2, KX and KM bodies in 1975) they also released 26 new lenses ... So there are precedents.
01-17-2016, 05:17 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Those were different times; let's not expect too much - and if it happens, let's be pleasantly surprised.
01-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
When Pentax launched K-mount (with the K2, KX and KM bodies in 1975) they also released 26 new lenses ... So there are precedents.
There are, but it must be remembered that in many cases the optical formula was carried directly over from the SMC Takumar predecessors to those lenses. Once you have designed the bayonet mount once, it becomes very easy to replicate it across the range. So releasing 26 bayonet mount lenses was relatively simple. Resurrecting an entire line of full frame lenses after ten years catering heavily to the APS-C sensor size is not going to be as simple, especially when you potentially have to recalibrate your optics for optimal performance with substantially newer coatings.

In the end we would not be doing at all badly to wind up with F or FA optics in DA-style mechanisms with HD coatings.

01-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Notice in the image data they say... "• Lens used: HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited"

I wonder if the FA limiteds are getting a revamp, or is that just a typo
Translation error JP version say 'smc'
01-19-2016, 02:33 AM   #70

Looking at the image in the FF official page and the body sample leaked several months ago, I would say that Ricoh Pentax had included as much useful features as possible to the new FF. If they can improve the IS (3 axis to 5 axis) to catch up with Sony and Fuji bodies, the new FF will become 1st competitor on the market.
01-19-2016, 05:04 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leotimus Quote
If they can improve the IS (3 axis to 5 axis) to catch up with Sony and Fuji bodies, the new FF will become 1st competitor on the market.
They're not trying to compete with Mirrorless - the competition is against other DSLRs. So long as any other DSLR requires in-lens stabilisation, Pentax have the advantage.
01-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #72

They're not trying to compete with Mirrorless - the competition is against other DSLRs. So long as any other DSLR requires in-lens stabilisation, Pentax have the advantage.
Yah you're right, but for those who plan to move from a crop to FF system like me, I would not bother to include both mirrorless and dSLR in consideration
01-20-2016, 11:09 PM   #73
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They're not trying to compete with Mirrorless -
they don't have the luxury of making that choice.

pentax has already been competing with ff mirrorless for the last two years, notice how many forum members got an a7 series camera.

all dslr companies are competing with mirrorless, look at smartphone market share.

when nikon announced the $6500 D5 at ces, they had to address the competition from mirrorless, and all that they could come up with was: "Fast and stable mirror-moving system coupled with optical VF system outruns best of today’s mirrorless systems." Nikon Press Event @ CES 2016 - Nikon D5, D500 announced, new “KeyMission 360” actioncam unveiled! (Updated)

nikon sees the writing on the wall, and i bet that pentax does too.
01-21-2016, 01:13 AM   #74
Pentaxian

There is no writing on the wall, there's only hype.
01-22-2016, 01:15 AM   #75
npc
Veteran Member

I don't think they are trying to compete with anything. Nobody else makes full frame K-mount AF cameras. They are just filling the niche for people who want a PENTAX branded K-mount FF camera. Maybe also owners of 645Zs that whant to get a second "smaller" camera.

If that goes well, and if they manage to offer an attractive modern lens lineup ... maybe the next ff camera can enter the competition in the minds of people outside of the current pentax user base.