Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crussellsprout Quote
Sure the K mount makes it a little bulkier around the mount, but really the K-01 is not that much different in size overall than, say the Sony A7RII. In fact it is slightly smaller in each maximum dimension (but lacks the EVF).
Compare camera dimensions side by side
Look at the top view of the A7. See that circle with a line through it? Thats the focal plane. So the A7 could be thinner, but it isn't.

Now compare it to the K-3 (you can't see the focal plane marker on the K-01). Look at how much more camera is in front of it...

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 1.49.50 PM.png
Views: 1263
Size:  291.3 KB

On the K-01 it must be around here...

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 1.52.48 PM.png
Views: 986
Size:  199.0 KB

01-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Look at the top view of the A7. See that circle with a line through it? Thats the focal plane. So the A7 could be thinner, but it isn't.

Now compare it to the K-3 (you can't see the focal plane marker on the K-01). Look at how much more camera is in front of it...

Attachment 295638

On the K-01 it must be around here...

Attachment 295639
Yes, I certainly understand that constraint, my point was simply that currently the A7 ISN'T really that much more compact (and hence the K-01 seems to get more of a bad rap for bulkiness than is really warranted). The A7 COULD be made thinner, but that would likely compromise ergonomics even further, so it is a bit of a trade-off. I personally don't see the the K mount size constraints as THAT much of a deal breaker for mirror-less, since I would want some sort of balance against longer lenses and a grip would likely protrude at least that far, anyways.
01-20-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #33

As a backpacking photographer, mirrorless is the way to go and I think it really should be the standard by now. I have no sympathy for a system with mirrors especially if you can get similar results with less weight. Sony made the smart move in this regard and that's why so many people are flocking over to them.
01-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manlaikim Quote
As a backpacking photographer, mirrorless is the way to go and I think it really should be the standard by now. I have no sympathy for a system with mirrors especially if you can get similar results with less weight. Sony made the smart move in this regard and that's why so many people are flocking over to them.
I backpack with my DSLR all the time...
And I love it!

01-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my Fuji's EVF. Its more enjoyable to shoot with than any OVF I've used...

mirrorless systems are supposed to be smaller, quieter, and lighter.
01-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just think if you keep the same registration distance and add an EVF, your size savings are not going to be significant over a small SLR. If you compare a K-S1 to a K-01, there is almost no difference in size, despite the fact that the K-S1 has a full pentaprism and the K-01 lacks an EVF. And the K-S1 is better with regard to performance and ergonomics.

I would like there to be a K-02, but the odds of it shrinking the camera size a bunch is probably not very much.
01-20-2016, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manlaikim Quote
I have no sympathy for a system with mirrors
You also have no sympathy for people with different preferences and needs than yours?

For me, a high quality optical reflex viewfinder is irreplaceable - works much better than any EVF I've seen. So I don't want to hear how something which doesn't work must become "standard", forcibly (as in: not decided by the market) replacing something which does work.

---------- Post added 20-01-16 at 11:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
mirrorless systems are supposed to be smaller, quieter, and lighter.
Except when they aren't, see the A7R having a noisier shutter release than the 645Z.

01-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just think if you keep the same registration distance and add an EVF, your size savings are not going to be significant over a small SLR. If you compare a K-S1 to a K-01, there is almost no difference in size, despite the fact that the K-S1 has a full pentaprism and the K-01 lacks an EVF. And the K-S1 is better with regard to performance and ergonomics.

I would like there to be a K-02, but the odds of it shrinking the camera size a bunch is probably not very much.
Well the K-01 is 15% thinner than K-S1, so there's that (Compare camera dimensions side by side). Also note that both the K-01 and K-S1 are 10% lighter than the Sony A7RII -- so much for the Sony mirrorless being lighter than any K-mount cameras (mirrorless or not)!
01-20-2016, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #39

Leaving aside the OVF which I prefer, I don't care about a few grams or centimeters here and there. My Pentax camera feels better in my hand than the corresponding mirrorless cameras I demoed.
01-20-2016, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crussellsprout Quote
Well the K-01 is 15% thinner than K-S1, so there's that (Compare camera dimensions side by side). Also note that both the K-01 and K-S1 are 10% lighter than the Sony A7RII -- so much for the Sony mirrorless being lighter than any K-mount cameras (mirrorless or not)!
I own both and they are super close with regard to size, but the K-S1 is better ergonomically and more usable with decent sized lenses (neither one is as good as the K3).
01-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
REGISTRATION DISTANCE

Distance between sensor and lens mount - 45.46mm
That would make a BIG mirrorless, as seen in the K-01...
i love my k-01
01-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I think if we can ever get to the point where we can get an OVF APSC camera to Pentax LX/MX/ME sized that would be amazing. My only concern is if it was standard DSLR shape it wouldn't be as comfortable as those cameras were. I find the grips on cams like the OMD EM1 for example to be way to small and prefer the flat brick XT-1 feel more with the subtle curves for grip.
01-21-2016, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If we could get more energy in a smaller battery we could better emulate the SLR body.
01-22-2016, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #44
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If we could get more energy in a smaller battery we could better emulate the SLR body.
We'll need to give up also the LCD screen and the SR which take most of the space behind the sensor ... to emulate SLR we just need a battery that's good for around 36 exposures

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 01:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Some Companies that produce cameras and do not have a full frame mirrorless:
- Canon
- Nikon
- Pentax/Ricoh
- Olympus
- Panasonic
- Fuji
- Sigma
- Kodak
- Samsung
- Phase One
- GoPro
- Casio
- Hasselblaad
- Polaroid
etc...

Companies that produce cameras and do have mirrorless full frame cameras:
- Leica
- Sony

That list is unlikely to change in the near future.
If you are trying to make a point that almost nobody makes full frame mirrorless cameras you can just as well say almost nobody makes full frame digital cameras period.

Companies that currently produce cameras and do have full frame DSLR cameras:
- Canon
- Nikon
- ...Sony (?)

However, this list might change in the near future
01-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Companies that currently produce cameras and do have full frame DSLR cameras:
- Canon
- Nikon