Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
2nd gen might be release in 2018 spring base on Pentax camera's release date. K-1 is good but there few disappointments also.

1. USB 3.0: For faster tether shooting. I tried USB 2.0 micro b type and it was so quite slow compare to USB 3.0

2. New battery: We are still using the same battery since 2009 I think.

3. AF points: The range is STILL small and have few af points.

4. UHS-2: Im not sure since many cameras does not fully support UHS-2 yet.

5. Joystick: Must have!

6. Speed light: IDK why people argue about the newest speed lights

7. iso 50 or 25: Must Have especially for 1.4 or 1.2 lenses.

8. Multi shot: Just for pro photographers who wants high mega pixels to print bigger size.

Still Pentax K-1 is a great camera compare to canon and Nikon

Pentax K-1 vs Nikon D810 vs Nikon 750 vs Nikon 610 vs Canon 5d Mk III vs Canon 6 - Pentaxeros.com

But I don't think that Pentax will put 4k video functions for now or later because they are not into video things.

02-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I, but one can't exactly argue that Pentax is changing them all the time. They have used essentially the same battery in the K7, K5, K5 II, K3 and K3 II. .....
I agree completely in this era of disposability Pentax is very dependable with keeping that battery type... a little bit like the k-mount :-)
02-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
2nd gen might be release in 2018 spring base on Pentax camera's release date. K-1 is good but there few disappointments also.

Still Pentax K-1 is a great camera compare to canon and Nikon

Pentax K-1 vs Nikon D810 vs Nikon 750 vs Nikon 610 vs Canon 5d Mk III vs Canon 6 - Pentaxeros.com

But I don't think that Pentax will put 4k video functions for now or later because they are not into video things.
1. USB 3.0: For faster tether shooting. I tried USB 2.0 micro b type and it was so quite slow compare to USB 3.0
>> Good to have if it does not add to cost. Never used USB ever on any of my cameras (including A7), but Hey! I'm not a fashion pro.

>> Just for the sake of it? (or to add to the big electronics waste heap like all HP batts when they change model every year? )
I'm happy that my extra batteries from my K5 will still work on the FF.
Based on declared battery life on the FF, no need to change anything really.

>> Commensurate with the price actually.
I find it a pain to scroll over too many AF points.
IMO, in reality, the AF points just needs to be within the 'zones' or thirds area.
More is not necessarily better imo as the fundamentals of composition has not changed (ie. we still more or less compose and place the subjects in the 'rule of thirds'/golden spiral, etc)

>> Never used it on my Canon, though I do like them on my PS3 controller
It ends up as what one is used to rather than something clearly superior as an interface for a camera.

>> All OEM flashes are behind imo.
The cheap China ones have already incorporated wireless (as in RF) that can group, control power and zoom.
But perhaps Pentax has not revealed what the new camera and maybe new flashes can do.....

>> Not with 1/8000 shutter speed, it doesn't.
In fact, I've never had a problems with all my fast lenses on a 5D or A7 with lower max shutter speeds shooting wide open.
If someone really needs to shoot with the subject in bright sunny 16 at f1.2, I do question the quality of the shot. (not that its for sure bad, but less likely that its good)

8. Multi shot: Just for pro photographers who wants high mega pixels to print bigger size.
02-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
>> Good to have if it does not add to cost. Never used USB ever on any of my cameras (including A7), but Hey! I'm not a fashion pro.

>>They didn't add it since the development of K-1 was even before K-3.

>> Just for the sake of it? (or to add to the big electronics waste heap like all HP batts when they change model every year? )

>> D500 can shoot 1400 shots with one battery. Why not?

IMO, in reality, the AF points just needs to be within the 'zones' or thirds area.
More is not necessarily better imo as the fundamentals of composition has not changed (ie. we still more or less compose and place the subjects in the 'rule of thirds'/golden spiral, etc)

>>You don't know how to use many af points I think. I used both Canon and Nikon with more af points and it was better and convenient. There are few modes for 1.2 or 1.4 lenses or sports lenses also. It's better to have more not less.

It ends up as what one is used to rather than something clearly superior as an interface for a camera.

>>Moving focus point is quite hard without the joy stick. Both canon and nikon flagship have joystick for moving focus points quickly.

The cheap China ones have already incorporated wireless (as in RF) that can group, control power and zoom.
But perhaps Pentax has not revealed what the new camera and maybe new flashes can do.....

In fact, I've never had a problems with all my fast lenses on a 5D or A7 with lower max shutter speeds shooting wide open.
If someone really needs to shoot with the subject in bright sunny 16 at f1.2, I do question the quality of the shot. (not that its for sure bad, but less likely that its good)

>>having iso 50 or lower provide little bit of better dr firstly. Quality? Then explain why many people are using 1.2 and 1.4 lenses for portrait shooting. Also, studio photographers use low iso for quality.

>> Technically, they can put it but I'm not sure if they want to put this function.

02-19-2016, 02:22 AM   #65
Site Supporter

>>They didn't add it since the development of K-1 was even before K-3.

>>> Thats kind of conspiracy theorizing that I try not to participate in....

>> D500 can shoot 1400 shots with one battery. Why not?

>>>> Because current batt lasts 2-3days full day shooting. Thats a lot of real word use.
More is not necessarily better, just more for the sake of it.
You again ignore the plus points that current users can use existing batteries (thats a lot of batteries if you even got a K7, K5 or K3).
Spares are easily available on ebay too (no long wait for 3rd party makers to come up with new ones .. and that can be a wait since Pentax does not command the volume like Canikony)

>>You don't know how to use many af points I think. I used both Canon and Nikon with more af points and it was better and convenient. There are few modes for 1.2 or 1.4 lenses or sports lenses also. It's better to have more not less.

>>>> I guess I'm not much of a photographer then...

>>Moving focus point is quite hard without the joy stick. Both canon and nikon flagship have joystick for moving focus points quickly.

>>>> No wonder I sucked at Half Life Team Fortress.
Like I said, you get used to what you have, I've never found the joystick to be better/faster.

>>having iso 50 or lower provide little bit of better dr firstly. Quality? Then explain why many people are using 1.2 and 1.4 lenses for portrait shooting. Also, studio photographers use low iso for quality.

>>>> Thats not a given.
You don't shoot those in harsh sunlight (most of the time) and thats what I meant (I did say a sunny 16, midday condition).
In fact many times for those mag shoots, they even have the crew use a large white shade over the model.
The usual way is to find a shaded spot for the subject/model, this way, you can control the lighting better/easier.
(Like I said, its makes life easier and often better results too; Not that there are no shots that are good if shot otherwise, but it does make it easier)

>> Technically, they can put it but I'm not sure if they want to put this function.

>> Pixel shift is already a lot of resolution with a AA filter-less.
I have an A7 that is modified w/o AA filter and a thin filter stack.
Together with downscaling from 24mp to 15mp, it already creates images as sharp as my DP1m (a 14mp foveon sensor).
In fact, I also print to A3 and A3+ and 24mp AA filterless is already quite impressive.
With pixel shift on a 36mp sensor, its really more than what most ppl will need.
02-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #66
Veteran Member

2. Then explain why many users from other brands complain about the battery performance from petapixel.

7. Having ISO 50 is very useful. Not just only for 1.2 or 1.4, it gives lowest iso setting and have the best dr. Harsh light? I hope you know how to shoot pics in harsh light situation.

8. There are some photographers who depend much bigger megapixel. Hasselblad support 200mp with multi shot. Why not?
02-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
8. There are some photographers who depend much bigger megapixel. Hasselblad support 200mp with multi shot. Why not?
Hasselblad uses a 43.8 x 23.9 sensor, which is much larger than 36 x 24 of "full-frame" .
And the sensor is actually 50 MP, and 200 MP is only achieved with pixel-shifting.

I believe there is a point of diminishing returns in terms of pixel density . In theory, you could have a full-frame sensor with multiple gigapixels, if using the same pixel density as the sensors in the smallest compacts.
You would probably get a lot more noise as a result, and the optics would be limiting you as well.

That said, 50MP on full frame may have benefits. Canon already has some.

I would like to see better video before I see 50MP for stills, though.
02-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #68
Site Supporter

USB 3
Mirrorless
4K video

02-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #69
Veteran Member

again...

all the features that are present in the K-1(except the 36MP sensor... this one would need a new sensor - 32/33.2/28/20.8/16MP or something alike)

usb 3 or thunderbolt(especially when tethering is offered, and its a pro-grade cam, btw i guess thunderbolt could be used for external 4K recording)

not mirrorless, but maybe a new mirror-technology, kind of/like on the A99(this was a "pioneering" masterpiece of camera construction)
but with dual viewfinder...(OVF+EVF) and hybrid viewfinder mode...

4K Video with 30fps, fullHD Video with 120 fps(for slo-mo videos), 720p Video with 240fps, (if not limited by the sensors resolution, if possible 8K timelapse-sequence "videos"

12 still frames per second

2500 whoopi whoopi price tag

THX. This would defenitely kill all the other DSLR makers right now. If it was out N O W

and i guess those specs could be built into the K-1 already. Except the dual-viewfinder - this maybe would take a bit longer, but they sacrificed it for a lower price tag and dropped in a 36MP sensor to satisfy the needy MP-maniacs...

FuTuRAMA:
new dedicated wireless protocol which all accessories like flashes and other things could make use of and talk with the camera.
accompanied by a detachable wireless display... (i guess they would sell a loads of displays extra after the cam is on the market for a while )
02-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
4K Video with 30fps
Make it 4K / 60fps and it will really be quite a unique camera.

QuoteQuote:
2500 whoopi whoopi price tag
Could justify more if they do a really good job with video.

QuoteQuote:
THX. This would defenitely kill all the other DSLR makers right now. If it was out N O W
Well, it wouldn't kill them, but it would surely make a lot of people take another look at Pentax, IMO.

QuoteQuote:
but they sacrificed it for a lower price tag and dropped in a 36MP sensor to satisfy the needy MP-maniacs...
Agree. I was expecting a camera in the $2000 - $3000 price range with better video features.
But the K-1 is their first attempt at full frame, and hopefully it is the "low-end" model and the successors will be more serious contenders.

Last edited by madbrain; 02-22-2016 at 05:41 PM.
02-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
1) support AA batteries in-camera (like the K-30/K-50) . Not in a battery grip. I have never bought a Pentax body that doesn't support AAs in-body, and never will, especially not if I have to pay a lot of money for one.

2) no length limit on video recording clips. 30mins is not acceptable.
Make a different version for Europe if you have to due to the tax situation on video cameras. Don't impose the 30min limitation on the rest of the world.

3) have a built-in flash . No Flash is not acceptable. I rarely use flash, but I don't want to carry an extra flash for the occasions that I do.
Either keep the astrotracer optional (it's a lot smaller than flash!) or have both flash and astrotracer built-in

4) support 4K / 60p video recording . H.265 at high bitrate would be a start, but ideally in a format with more than 8 bit per color channel.

5) support UHS-II card speeds (probably required for item #4)
1) I do not see AA batteries as an important thing. Releasing another grip with AA capability would be enough but I wouldn't need it.
2) Video length is not an issue for me.
3) I almost never use any flash, built-in or otherwise. Much prefer to have built-in GPS and WIFI.
4) This would be nice in the next model. 120p full HD also for slow motion.
5) Yes for this one.

In the next model I would like to see the possibility to fully use Pentax 645 lenses, i.e. an AW adapter without crippling.
I would also like to see cold temperature capabilities improved....-10 C doesn't quite always cut it here.
For time lapse, I'd really want an implementation where neither the mirror or the mechnical shutter needs to move.
02-21-2016, 03:46 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Some kind of AF-D mode ( AF-reaction locked to a certain range) would be nice, they have implemented the idea as such in a more physical way into the new 150-450 lens... But I doubt that this is sufficient ... The CAMERA itself should be able to limit the focus range... Sony has that on a more serious body... It was introduced about 4 years ago. And back then, it already featured a sane resolution on a FF sensor(24MP) and about 10 still fps... They called it the A99

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 03:53 AM ----------

And yes, I really like the "SLT"-idea!!
BTW it is rumoured, that PENTAX has a very similar patent...
So let's hope the best and let's hope they make it better (switchable grade of translucency of the mirror) so you can either use OVF or EVF...
LV and EVF all the time soak up battery like an 8 year old a small glass of milkshake... (One reason I ended up with a PENTAX DSLR)
02-23-2016, 11:39 PM - 2 Likes   #73
Pentaxian

Is it time to talk about the third gen FF yet?
02-24-2016, 12:50 AM   #74

De-crippled mount, regular tilt/swivel screen as per KS2, proper SR for video.

30 minute video limit is a regular pain in the arse for my shooting band rehearsals etc.

As much as I like Eneloops, they don't compare to Li-ion for discharge rate or power density. I'm satisfied with the AA-in-grip option.
02-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Is it time to talk about the third gen FF yet?
Looking at Sonys A99 I would say: 2014 already was about time...