Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Does every discussion of the FF have to devolve into a discussion of k-mount "uncrippling"? Seriously, if you really hate green button metering so much, maybe walk softly and carry a big light meter?
Especially as a senior Ricoh manager said it wouldn't happen this time around, because of "technical" difficulties...

Nonetheless, it's interesting for some to think about what those difficulties might be, and how they might be overcome. My personal inclination would be to use magnetic or optical sensing, so then the associated circuitry could be placed elsewhere in the body, unlike the electro-mechanical device in the earlier film bodies.

01-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #47
Pentaxian

I don't quite understand why they made that dial so large.
IMO for not other reason than to be easy to use.

---------- Post added 29-01-16 at 12:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Especially as a senior Ricoh manager said it wouldn't happen this time around, because of "technical" difficulties...

Nonetheless, it's interesting for some to think about what those difficulties might be, and how they might be overcome. My personal inclination would be to use magnetic or optical sensing, so then the associated circuitry could be placed elsewhere in the body, unlike the electro-mechanical device in the earlier film bodies.
My guess, it's mostly about K&M lenses being some 33 years old, not exactly a good match for a brand new high resolution DSLR, a workaround existing and some other similar reasons.
I'd rather have them thinking about the future than remaining stuck in the past. Perhaps... an electronically-controlled aperture?
01-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
IMO for not other reason than to be easy to use.
Possibly, but it forces the top LCD to be smaller, so there is a trade-off there. I thought it would be very clever to solve that with an MZ-S style LCD inside the dial...
01-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought it would be very clever to solve that with an MZ-S style LCD inside the dial...
can't begin to tell you how much I'd hate that - hang on! just did! - but to me that would just be gimmicky not serious - I think the small LCGD will act mainly as a readout for the adjustments made and a traditional quick check of settings- don't need much more

01-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
can't begin to tell you how much I'd hate that - hang on! just did! - but to me that would just be gimmicky not serious
Well, to each his own. It would feel very natural (and cool) to me to display the nature and value of what you're adjusting within the (multi-purpose) dial itself. But, lucky for you, it looks like you won't have to hate the new camera (and it's not a big enough thing for me to key a large emotional response on)...
01-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #51
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
If I'm not mistaken, the landscape shot with the 24-70 is taken in/off Queenstown NZ. I find it interesting that there is a 35mm Pentax camera travelling the world. I wonder if camera cognoscenti would recognise it. There are plenty of photographers in Queenstown, one of the worlds most photogenic areas.
You are not mistaken about Queenstown, NZ.
01-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #52

I have done some searching, but haven't found this. Does anyone have a link for this info/interview?

01-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #53

I wish Ricoh recognized video shooting as a serious feature. That screen... It looks like something very usefull for that. Well, this ff is really exciting and hopefully will make Pentax number one camera for the pros!
01-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nonetheless, it's interesting for some to think about what those difficulties might be
That is where I scratch my head. The works and circuitry that were removed as part of the crippling are incredibly compact and simple. I guess I could pull the mount face off my Ricoh XR7 parts body and take a photo to show what it looks like. It is simply a strip of electrical resistant material with a wire on one end glued to an arch-shaped strip of thin metal. Spring loaded contacts ride against the resistant material such that the assembly acts as a variable resistor. With a lens mounted, impedance depends on the position of the aperture ring though it is also possible to "exercise" that portion of the mount with a finger nail for testing purposes. As noted, any number of approaches might be used for today's cameras to allow for non-analog sensing.

Steve
01-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every time I see the pictures of THE CAMERA on that website my blood starts boiling.

Damned thing just LOOKS like a Pentax.
01-28-2016, 09:44 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
I have done some searching, but haven't found this. Does anyone have a link for this info/interview?
I think it was an interview that PF arranged so members' questions could be put to Ricoh representatives, but I could be wrong there. Adam would probably recall when and where, if so.
01-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #57

This is exciting news!
01-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I have not been following the new Pentax FF closely....

But I have read that it has a crop mode to match the DA lenses.

Question I have is...what is the megapixels of this crop mode? anyone knows?
01-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
what is the megapixels of this crop mode? anyone knows?
No one will know the crop mode MP until the un-cropped total camera megapixels are known. To date, the K-1 will be either 36MP or 42 MP. Which would make it crop down to something like 15 MP (if 36 MP) or 18 MP in crop mode if 42 MP.
01-29-2016, 04:26 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When looking over some other nonpentax based websites and forums the Pentax FF gets a lot of flack because of the poor quality, uninspired, low resolution pictures that are beeing used in the preview articles. Do you think this might weaken the Pentax marketing? I am myself very underwhelmed by the pictures. I think they are boring as hell and don´t give any valuable information. As a Pentax user i read the articles and use the informations more than the pictures, but it might hurt the first impressions for people that click on some link in an article and get a very underwhelming first impression.

Last edited by Arne Bo; 02-02-2016 at 08:40 AM.