Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 04:59 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think it was an interview that PF arranged so members' questions could be put to Ricoh representatives, but I could be wrong there. Adam would probably recall when and where, if so.
Adam is the one to ask it was on the home page a couple of years ago.

01-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Adam is the one to ask it was on the home page a couple of years ago.
Thanks for the info Rob and mohb. This might be a more recent one, but it comes-up here on February 14, 2015 (I hadn't noticed this one before):
QuoteQuote:
7. Do you plan to reintroduce the aperture coupler in the Pentax full-frame body so that legacy lenses can meter without having to stop down?

I think it's important but it's difficult because of the limited space.
He doesn't actually say no, but I can see how it could be read as: "I think it's important but it's difficult no because of the limited space." Seems odd that there is still a space issue with this...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is where I scratch my head. The works and circuitry that were removed as part of the crippling are incredibly compact and simple. I guess I could pull the mount face off my Ricoh XR7 parts body and take a photo to show what it looks like. It is simply a strip of electrical resistant material with a wire on one end glued to an arch-shaped strip of thin metal. Spring loaded contacts ride against the resistant material such that the assembly acts as a variable resistor. With a lens mounted, impedance depends on the position of the aperture ring though it is also possible to "exercise" that portion of the mount with a finger nail for testing purposes. As noted, any number of approaches might be used for today's cameras to allow for non-analog sensing.
I completely agree. Seems like there are many ways to do this.
01-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
He doesn't actually say no, but I can see how it could be read as: "I think it's important but it's difficult no because of the limited space." Seems odd that there is still a space issue with this...
Being Japanese he would not come out and just say no. This answer was just a polite way of saying it isn't going to happen.
01-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Being Japanese he would not come out and just say no. This answer was just a polite way of saying it isn't going to happen.
I personally append 'ever' to your statement. Then I Green Button my K lenses.

01-29-2016, 07:21 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
When looking over some other nonpentax based websites and forums the Pentax FF gets a lot of flag because of the poor quality, uninspired, low resolution pictures that are beeing used in the preview articles. Do you think this might weaken the Pentax marketing? I am myself very underwhelmed by the pictures. I think they are boring as hell and donīt give any valuable information. As a Pentax user i read the articles and use the informations more than the pictures, but it might hurt the first impressions for people that click on some link in an article and get a very underwhelming first impression.
I have been saying this for a while about pentax. They know how to build cameras but don't seem to know how to hype them up. Pentax marketing seems to be a total disaster, both in North America and Japan. There must be some talented photographers out there that use pentax and could be used in the marketing materials. I wonder if it simply has to do with the taste of the management (or lack thereof) in terms of what kind of images are picked for the samples.

There is a 3D modelling software company which should remain unmentioned I used to be a demo artist for. The management would publish yearly magazines with the best work of it's users and pick the worst of the images for the cover. Everyone in the user community would cringe at the bad choices being made, almost if the people writing the software did not have a clue what a good 3d rendering looked like despite a bunch of them being done with their own software. It was a very baffling situation that I can see Pentax in as well.
01-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #66
Pentaxian

There's no doom in this thread. May I offer "What!? The product photos show a big PENTAX logo. HQ is too ashamed of this camera to put RICOH on it."
01-29-2016, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
I am myself very underwhelmed by the pictures. I think they are boring as hell
To put a positive spin on it, view it as an example of 'under-promising, but over-delivering' by Ricoh.

01-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
To put a positive spin on it, view it as an example of 'under-promising, but over-delivering' by Ricoh.
That thought has occurred to me.

And I recollect some stunning studio shots of a kimonoed woman on the 645z sample image pages, but no similar teaser shots. PixelShift wasn't even hinted at before the release announcement, and we had the marvelous watch and wet fly box.

I'm waiting for the release splash before I judge Ricoh.
01-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I have been saying this for a while about pentax. They know how to build cameras but don't seem to know how to hype them up. Pentax marketing seems to be a total disaster, both in North America and Japan. There must be some talented photographers out there that use pentax and could be used in the marketing materials. I wonder if it simply has to do with the taste of the management (or lack thereof) in terms of what kind of images are picked for the samples.
I think that the traditional methods of marketing are going the way of the dodo. Bricks-and-mortar camera stores are doomed. Young people don't buy magazines and they don't watch network TV or even cable TV. Their whole world flows through the portal of their smart phone via social media and text messages. I don't know what reaches them, but maybe Ricoh does.
01-29-2016, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It astonishes me to admit that I only use stores of any kind for perishables such as groceries and when I need something faster than Amazon Prime can deliver it.

My television goes to Netflix, YouTube and Hulu more often than a network except for news. We DVR a few broadcast series and FF the commercials. When the phone rings CallerID pops up on the television or on the handset LCD. VM is transcribed and a phone app or the TV displays the text. Nearly all of them are deleted without hearing anything.

I have a print subscription to Forbes and Architectural Digest (Forbes is the worst for blow-in cards and the website is riddled with ads). Everything else comes to my tablet and I constantly X out AdChoices banners. I run script blockers and ad blockers on all my PC's.

I'm 60. If I do all of this imagine how hard it is to reach a millennial !
01-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Bricks-and-mortar camera stores are doomed.
Maybe, maybe not. I think there will always be a place for a shop you can walk into and handle gear, but I agree they're almost certainly doomed if they don't have a web presence. Since I moved to Canada in 2011, bricks-and-mortar camera stores with a web presence have sold me a new K-5, all the DA limiteds except the 40mm (which I bought in a B&M store in Australia several years before) and a high-end Pentax OEM flash. Another such B&M store sold me a secondhand 28mm SMC Takumar (physically, over the counter). Yet another would have sold me an FA31 if only I'd joined this comm three weeks earlier than I did and realised what I was being offered.

Next to that, Amazon can only claim the 18-135 and the DA 50.
01-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #72

One could assume that young people don't want anything like a pentax. A phone camera and a few filters that make the image look "retro" seems to be sufficient for most. The people who actually want to get into more serious photography could be reached via online video and articles. Good content is good content no matter what the delivery medium is.

Maybe pentax can pay the next teen idol to swing on a big pentax camera instead of a wrecking ball
01-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I think that the traditional methods of marketing are going the way of the dodo. Bricks-and-mortar camera stores are doomed. Young people don't buy magazines and they don't watch network TV or even cable TV. Their whole world flows through the portal of their smart phone via social media and text messages. I don't know what reaches them, but maybe Ricoh does.
Ricoh hasn't demonstrated much marketing skill in the USA, using traditional marketing nor newer techniques. Maybe that's okay. For example, if sales are already a good match to manufacturing capacity, don't waste money doing too much marketing.
01-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
The pentax website has been updated with new pics of the camera and with pics of the camera can take with the 24-70 F2.8 SDM! Very exciting!

Check it out!

www.pentax.com
Wouldn't it be funny if they call it the....Kr2?
01-29-2016, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

They better not market that as "Kr2, for Advanced Photography". The KrAP

The control layout has half sold me on the camera. Sensor and related specs are the other half. Name it anything, Ricoh.