Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Different exposure. Different composition. Different processing.
I know but still I'd except a bit more about those photos since NZ is great place to shoot stars unlikely Finland with its huge light pollution in certain areas.

01-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone know if it will (or may) support UHS-II SDXC speed standard on the new Pentax FF? Just curious since it is becoming (or going to be) more common standard card speed among high end models.
01-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #33
Imp
Pentaxian

Seems to be UHS-I only...
01-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Didn't someone from Pentax (in an interview) rule out de-crippling because of technical difficulties?
I have not heard this. That would be too bad, and I would be curious to know the exact reason (if they gave one).

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! I guess that begs the question of how the quite tiny MX could accommodate the thin ring that drives the non-crippled mount. It is my opinion that the true reason the mount was crippled was the effort needed to assemble and calibrate this second access path to the meter system.
I would believe the size reason except for the point that Steve has raised here. An even better example is the ZX-5N. I have not held one myself, but it has to be the same size or smaller than the K-5 for example. And yet it has the de-crippled mount and is even AF. I don't know of any physical difference between the mount of the ZX-5N and the K-5 besides the lack of the aperture-coupler on the K-5. I also find it hard to believe that there is something specific to the DSLRs that is taking all that space right up near the mount.

01-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
I also find it hard to believe that there is something specific to the DSLRs that is taking all that space right up near the mount.
There's probably a lot more circuitry in a digital body. Shake reduction motors to move the sensor appropriately. Rear LED screen. Input/output leads to the HDMI, microphone, etc. That sort of thing.
01-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #36
Imp
Pentaxian

Here you go - Pentax K-5 IIs

01-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
There's probably a lot more circuitry in a digital body. Shake reduction motors to move the sensor appropriately. Rear LED screen. Input/output leads to the HDMI, microphone, etc. That sort of thing.
There is a lot of new circuitry in a DSLR that is not present in a film SLR, but most, if not all, of what you mentioned is in the back of the body, not in the front near the lens mount. By the same token, one could argue that there is less space in the back of a film body due to the film compartment, take-up spool, and the film handling mechanics that one would find in a body like the ZX-5N. What I am wondering is: what is different that would take the space where the aperture-coupler would be specifically? The most obvious thing there is the AF motor and related mechanics, but that is present on both late film SLRs (that have the coupler) and DSLRs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I think we would need a horizontal cut to get a good look at the place the coupler would be. That is a cool picture though!

---------- Post added 01-28-16 at 04:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
On second-thought, something does jump-out at me from this picture. The smaller sensor and mirror need to be centered in the existing lens mount. This leads the pentaprism to be lower to align with the mirror. Thus, the pentaprism is closer to the lens mount at the top. If they wanted to keep having a ring around the mount to implement the aperture-coupler, it might to too tight at that point. This could be good news for the FF since all of those things would be back in their 35mm places with respect to the mount.

01-28-2016, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Does every discussion of the FF have to devolve into a discussion of k-mount "uncrippling"? Seriously, if you really hate green button metering so much, maybe walk softly and carry a big light meter?
01-28-2016, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the fact that the controls seem to be laid out much like the K-3 (with a few additions). Familiarity is a good thing to me. I almost bought another K-3 after my September trip to Yellowstone NP. I was shooting mostly with 2-3 lenses and 2 bodies (K-3 and K-r). Not having to think about which body is in hand and knowing instinctively where controls (and menus) are is much easier. I decided to wait to see what comes down the pike. Glad I did. I plan to wait a while to see FF performance, cost, etc. Also what APS-C may be around the corner. I still absolutely love my K-3 though and may still pick up another one. This FF with 24-70 looks enticing. I'm betting it will be a top notch performer.
01-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #40

Although my Full Frame is Nikon and Sony at present I am happy for you Pentax users. It's been long over due. Pentax is the most underrated system on the market.
Please don't do like other system users and second guess to much when you first see the FF offering. Remember no review is better than an in hand review but also Pentax will rely on your feedback. I hope it's a game changer for the whole industry.
01-28-2016, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Does every discussion of the FF have to devolve into a discussion of k-mount "uncrippling"?
Yes.

Until the question is settled one way or another, those of us who would like to use their K and M lenses (and their third party equivalents) as they were intended to be used (rather than as glorified Super Takumars) will continue to hope for the best.
01-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yes.

Until the question is settled one way or another, those of us who would like to use their K and M lenses (and their third party equivalents) as they were intended to be used (rather than as glorified Super Takumars) will continue to hope for the best.
deadhorse
01-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Does every discussion of the FF have to devolve into a discussion of k-mount "uncrippling"? Seriously, if you really hate green button metering so much, maybe walk softly and carry a big light meter?
That is one way to do it, but I suspect green button is both easier and less cumbersome. There is also the "Sunny 16" rule for those who dare. I used to shoot with a pair of MXs that would have intermittent meter failures. Even though I had a backup meter with me I would often shoot without it. It can be done with a little practice (and made easier with today's instant review on digital cameras).
01-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Personally, I was hoping the dial on the top right would have an LCD on the inside, as someone suggested in another thread by comparing to an older body. (Like this.)These new pictures make that possibility rather unlikely, but then I don't quite understand why they made that dial so large. Maybe there are LED activated icons in there?
01-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I'm not mistaken, the landscape shot with the 24-70 is taken in/off Queenstown NZ. I find it interesting that there is a 35mm Pentax camera travelling the world. I wonder if camera cognoscenti would recognise it. There are plenty of photographers in Queenstown, one of the worlds most photogenic areas.