Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I think that the traditional methods of marketing are going the way of the dodo. Bricks-and-mortar camera stores are doomed. Young people don't buy magazines and they don't watch network TV or even cable TV. Their whole world flows through the portal of their smart phone via social media and text messages. I don't know what reaches them, but maybe Ricoh does.
People can surprise you. "Young" people (I use the term loosely) have popularised film photography and vinyl records. The "buy local" movement may yet spill over from food and clothing to more durables. There is no accounting for the fickleness of people, especially the younger ones.

01-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #77
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I think that the traditional methods of marketing are going the way of the dodo. Bricks-and-mortar camera stores are doomed. Young people don't buy magazines and they don't watch network TV or even cable TV. Their whole world flows through the portal of their smart phone via social media and text messages. I don't know what reaches them, but maybe Ricoh does.
Just yesterday overhere a chain with 34 stores, photo stores, closed due to banctrupted. You just can't survive on selling for Internet prices and having a heavy load of costs on stores and staf.
01-30-2016, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
When looking over some other nonpentax based websites and forums the Pentax FF gets a lot of flag because of the poor quality, uninspired, low resolution pictures that are beeing used in the preview articles. Do you think this might weaken the Pentax marketing? I am myself very underwhelmed by the pictures. I think they are boring as hell and donīt give any valuable information. As a Pentax user i read the articles and use the informations more than the pictures, but it might hurt the first impressions for people that click on some link in an article and get a very underwhelming first impression.
For Pete's sake, they are meant to be TEASERS!! If they are generating any traffic the job is done.

Beautifully processed images shot by legendary professionals do almost nothing to tell you about the quality of a camera.

Let's wait for the release.
01-30-2016, 04:12 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People really need to settle down. There is no point in selling a camera that doesn't exist in the marketplace. The most that these images can do is keep Pentaxians who are on the fence about selling their APS-C camera and buying another brand's full frame camera from jumping. That's it.

Even if there were beautiful and amazing images coming out from the camera, there is no Nikon photographer who is going to dump his or her gear on the marketplace with the hopes of replacing it with a Pentax full frame in a couple of months. I doubt that most of them (unless they have shot Pentax cameras in the past) even care that Pentax is releasing such a camera.

01-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
For Pete's sake, they are meant to be TEASERS!! If they are generating any traffic the job is done.

Beautifully processed images shot by legendary professionals do almost nothing to tell you about the quality of a camera.

Let's wait for the release.
I donīt think super stylish shots work a lot better, because they could alienate users. But it must be possible to go to some more or less interesting place to take a few pictures. It wouldnīt be much work.
As it is it seems lazy and i would appreciate more excitement shown by the producers of a product iīm really interested in.
Anyway itīs under a month now till CP+. Then will be the time to pull the big guns.
01-31-2016, 05:23 PM   #81
Pentaxian

By the way, DPReview posted these images, but completely botched the job by obliterating detail in an incompetently made resize. Now Pentax (who else?) takes a lot of heat because of it... quite amusing.
I wonder if the images in some eventual K-1 review would be similarly destroyed
02-01-2016, 04:18 AM   #82
Imp
Pentaxian

For people complaining about the dark cornered pentax FF camera image teasers... Canon just did the exact same thing. Except they did accompany it with proper pictures as well

02-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
For people complaining about the dark cornered pentax FF camera image teasers... Canon just did the exact same thing. Except they did accompany it with proper pictures as well
Yes proper pictures after the camera was announced just like Nikon did with the D5 and D500 none before so I expect Pentax to do the same as soon as official release much better pictures will be available.
02-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, teasers are just attention getters.

Two additional purposes, one I hope isn't relevant.

1. Stops people defecting to another brand in the meantime, and gives people time to save up money for the release. I think the key target is existing Pentax users rather than those who own rival brands, for various reasons.

2. Political. There may be a faction inside the Ricoh board who want to close the project down or at least limit its scale, and pre-releasing publicity makes this harder.
02-03-2016, 04:54 AM   #85
Pentaxian

I think 2. is a loooong shot. Let's not forget, the full frame project is already ongoing - they have several lenses on the market.
02-03-2016, 04:59 AM   #86
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Naturally, I hope so. ☺
02-03-2016, 06:02 AM   #87
Pentaxian

"Hope" is better kept for when you need it; in this case we're talking about "logic" and "common sense". If there was/is such a faction, it lost - it actually lost when Ricoh decided to acquire Pentax to turn around their own, unprofitable camera division.
02-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Seems to be UHS-I only...
It's ok, as long as they can increase the write speed to match sandisk's extreme Plus line 90~90MB/s
or at least as fast as D750...

according to this site
Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards
K-3ii writes speed is around 35MB/s
while D750 writes at 68MB/s
nikon d750 fastest sd card speed tests
QuoteQuote:
You can use UHS-II cards in the D750 but they offer no speed benefit
That's why I prefer USH-I over USH-II on this incoming body

UHS-II can come with the 2nd generation of digital 35mm body
Hopefully both the connector hardware and the memory card will be cheaper at that time!
just no XQD please!

Last edited by souless; 02-03-2016 at 11:06 AM.
02-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
It's ok, as long as they can increase the write speed to match sandisk's extreme Plus line 90~90MB/s
or at least as fast as D750...

according to this site
Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards
K-3ii writes speed is around 35MB/s
while D750 writes at 68MB/s
nikon d750 fastest sd card speed tests
That's why I prefer USH-I over USH-II on this incoming body

UHS-II can come with the 2nd generation of digital 35mm body
Hopefully both the connector hardware and the memory card will be cheaper at that time!
just no XQD please!
Few UHS-1 SD cards can actually sustain high speeds. Its really only the Sandisk Extreme Pro that can reliably do 90MB/s write speed, which is why its the only card recommended for use in the Blackmagic Pocket cinema camera recording in RAW mode. Thats just for 1080p, high quality 4K is going to need UHS-II but I doubt Pentax is going to do high quality recording like Prores or RAW, even at 1080p.
I had assumed that you can use UHS-I cards in a UHS-II SD card slot if you don't need very high speed. Is that not right?

John.
02-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #90

Samsung's new Pro+ line features a 95/90 read/write speed. They are cheap enough that I bought a 32GB card for my K50 and will most likely purchase another one before I go to Spain in May.