Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Hey guys, i visited that K-1 EOSHD thread, and found a Ricoh question and answer session on facebook. This is what they said. Is there hope?
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. They are being ironic, is it? Good track record? Seriously? Compared to what? Cameras in the 60s?

@madbrain: Other brands, like Fuji, Samsung, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony do add features after the camera was launched. Pentax is one of the worst companies in that regard though.

Roughly you can say 60 Mbit on h265 is like 100-120 Mbit on h264.

2.35:1 is very cinematic, they must have added the black bars to give it that cinematic look.

@patarok: Pixel shift only works with completely stationary motives... which means landscapes are out.

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
If you have to do some professional video beside photos, forget about Pentax and buy a Canon 60D, 70D, 80D or 6D. I changed my K-5iis with K-3II also for manual control on video, but it doesn't mach Canon 60D on video. If on Canon you have image stabilization from the lens, on Pentax you have it trough the software (only in photo mode is used the sensor stabilization). And with software stabilization on Pentax if you want some detail video, like macro, you will get some nasty artifacts. Even if you use video tripod, in some cases you also need to enable image stabilization.
Another thing is that when shooting video you need to not use color degradation and custom white balance, because this will be edited trough video editing software. The sequences taken with Pentax needed more time on editing and my friend who do this always curse me and my Pentax. )) In case of those taken with Canon 60D and Canon 70D it's another story. From the start the sequences look much different and more pleasing from the Canon.
Canon has the most powerful IQ on video using DSLRs, Continuous Auto-Focus, nice image quality, etc..
If you want to simply shoot some video in vacation for fun, it's enough what you get from Pentax K-3 and above.
It's just my opinion after using Pentax and Canon on video.
Image stabilization in the lens is IMHO not as effective as sensor shift SR. Just look at the K-5, look those Olympus and Sony models that have it.

I'm not a fan of Canon... they are ok, but lag behind most other brands these days.

02-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #137

If the hardware cannot support a feature no firmware update is ever going to make it work. Gee please can I have a 36 megapixel sensor in my K10D. Can I have ISO 250,000? Just update the firmware please.

I don't recall Ricoh ever saying the K3 would get pixel shift - just a lot of wishful thinking and chest beating Pentax jumpers saying it had to happen.

Pixel shift in the K-3II is in part from improvements in the SR mechanism and accelerometers over the K-3.
02-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...aha...
02-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
They are actually very kind not to put 4K into the K1.
Imagine all those people runinning, skiing, climbing, jumping around with a K1 on their head. This is dangerous, this affecting the balance and gives pain in the neck. So they thought about putting this amazing feature into a camera that small that you can waer the whole day without even noticing. kind... isnt it?
Oh funny you. At the next wedding where I will shoot photos, I will run around with a helmet if the people also want a bit video. *thumbsup*
That's like plugging your ears and start singing "nananah" I can't hear you...

AGAIN, it's not about making things bad. Thing is already here. It is about making coming things better. In some countries they call it criticism.

easy to understand:
4K included=faster camera.

"The Wheel of Whimsical" and the "Screen of Self-Infatuation" also can not impress me.

Less buttons, better handling.
K-5IIS is still unmatched.

Body of the K-5IIs+
Connectors and Specs of the K-3II+24.5MP FF-Sensor+faster framerates+headphone jack=unbeatable camera that sells like hotcake and makes a lot of people happy...

K-1 now is just "neither fish nor fowl".

EOL

02-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #140
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
At the next wedding where I will shoot photos, I will run around with a helmet if the people also want a bit video... That's like plugging your ears and start singing "nananah" I can't hear you...
I'd be interested in a 4k video of you doing that?
02-25-2016, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #141
Veteran Member

Canon just released 1Dx Mark2 with 4k at 60fps and full-hd at 120fps. It's their top DSLR and expensive, but I guess it's only the beginning and in the future will see those specifications also on the below lines cameras.
There are a lot of video makers which preferred to use DSLRs, especially Canon, for their projects. Canon realised this for years until now and give them toys for that. Sony has their mirrorless good for video, but the lenses are very expensive.
The 1dx mark 2 sounds great.. but.. still a 29min59s recording limit . Even for $5999 ? Really ? Sigh.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
They are actually very kind not to put 4K into the K1.
Imagine all those people runinning, skiing, climbing, jumping around with a K1 on their head. This is dangerous, this affecting the balance and gives pain in the neck. So they thought about putting this amazing feature into a camera that small that you can waer the whole day without even noticing. kind... isnt it?
Who would ever put a DSLR on their head ? A DSLR is not an action camera. I want 4K for better indoor video quality with the camera on a tripod, personally.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
2.35:1 is very cinematic, they must have added the black bars to give it that cinematic look.
You can't just "add" black bars if your image is 16:9 . You have to crop the top and bottom of the video. More cinematic, sure, but silly. Fewer pixels that were captured by the camera to actually show.
02-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
Sounds like i will jump ship sooner or later...
It is frustrating when your favorite brand just does not provide what you want. A hard decision, but at the end of the day you have to go with what you need.

I noticed that on the Ricoh site they keep referring to the k-1 as a 'field camera', not 100% sure what that means but I suppose landscape, maybe wildlife. The only definition I can find says it is a smaller more compact and easier to transport view camera. So a camera designed to be used in the field rather than the studio. So I suppose the WR and ruggedness and other features are designed to fit that concept. And it would appear high end video is not a feature needed in a field camera.

02-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #143
Veteran Member

but it provides... wait a video would explain the ridiculousness much better here(even if its an unloved format for the "real" Pentaxians)
look:

at the moment it is:

but it should be more like:

does the mechanism of the boxing glove in the first video remind you of something ? and its "functionality" about another?
02-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
You can't just "add" black bars if your image is 16:9 . You have to crop the top and bottom of the video. More cinematic, sure, but silly. Fewer pixels that were captured by the camera to actually show.
Silly, perhaps, but something very common in Hollywood. Kubrick did it all the time.

@jatrax: At least Pentax believes so. But actually it would be great, in the field. There are people who need something rugged, something solid, who DO do video IMHO. And SR would be extremely valuable there, because you do not need to bring so much gear along. I now have access to a shoulder rig, but putting the camera on there is cumbersome. Changing the lens will take 5-10 minutes, probably. And I need to work out in preparation for longer shoots. If the SR will give me similar shots, yeah, I'll take the SR.
02-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The 1dx mark 2 sounds great.. but.. still a 29min59s recording limit . Even for $5999 ? Really ? Sigh.
When you make a video, whatever the subject will be, you will take sequences and then combine them in the final result. Sequence of 30min it's more than enough for continuous shooting.

Like I said, I like very much my K-3II for it's build quality, weather sealing and very good image quality when you take photos. For video it's good, but not so good if you want something more professional.
The image stabilization is good on photos, but for video in some cases it's not. For video, image stabilization from a lens is much better in case of my Pentax. I have found on the market a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 from the old series with image stabilization included

I don't blame Pentax if they do not want to include better video IQ on their cameras. But in my opinion, if they will do so and make them better also for video, they will gain more customers.
You need to satisfy the requests from the market in order to gain more money = money for investing in research and for buying new technologies.
02-27-2016, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #146
Imp
Pentaxian

If pentax video was good, we could have got a Pentax for my school... but instead we had to sink for a t2i and tamron 17-50 2.8. I don't really enjoy using it, but the video quality is what matters, so... less money for pentax.
02-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #147
Veteran Member

When you make a video, whatever the subject will be, you will take sequences and then combine them in the final result. Sequence of 30min it's more than enough for continuous shooting.
@MadBrain is shooting footage of him playing piano and harpsichord, pieces that are longer than 30 minutes.
02-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
@MadBrain is shooting footage of him playing piano and harpsichord, pieces that are longer than 30 minutes.
For that type of filming you can use a simple GoPro or something else...
02-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #149
Veteran Member

For that type of filming you can use a simple GoPro or something else...
I think he wants higher quality and a different FOV than what a GoPro provides.
02-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I think he wants higher quality and a different FOV than what a GoPro provides.
You are serious man or it's just irony? Because it's a good one