Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #61
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
My video needs are exclusively on tripod, where SR is always disabled. And I don't care about AF at all, as the camera is pre-focused when I shoot video. So I don't care about CDAF speed either.

What I really want is more resolution, more fps, higher bit rate. Something like 4K/60fps @ 200 Mbps H.265 with no 4GB limit and no clip length limit.
I could justify $2500- $3000 for a Pentax FF camera that did this. Maybe $1500 for an APS-C that did the same.
But it's not possible for me to justify spending $1 for a camera with zero video improvement. Instead, I will be keeping the K-30 I got for $199 on ebay. Pentax is missing out on revenue by leaving serious video users in the cold, IMO.
They're saying video quality is improved, as in the picture quality/bitrate? But still not enough...

Pentaxians, never satisfied.

No, its a great camera, I'm glad its been released!

02-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
They're saying video quality is improved, as in the picture quality/bitrate?
Where ?
02-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is limited by the Milbeaut processor. They're probably gaining significantly more sales and revenue selling this camera at this price than the few sales and users lost to Canon / Magic Lantern or Sony.
02-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax is limited by the Milbeaut processor. They're probably gaining significantly more sales and revenue selling this camera at this price than the few sales and users lost to Canon / Magic Lantern or Sony.
Maybe in the short-term. In the long run, it may cost them, not just in terms of camera sales but lenses, if people switch camera systems altogether because of video.

---------- Post added 02-17-16 at 08:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
They're saying video quality is improved, as in the picture quality/bitrate?!
No, they aren't saying that :
From Pentax K-1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Also, the Pentax K-1 does not impress in terms of its video mode, which is in fact identical to that of the Pentax K-3 (albeit with fewer 720p framerates). Framerate options include 1080 60i/50i/30p/25p/24p and 720 60p/50p. Video files are stored in the compressed H.264 .MOV format (raw capture is not possible). On-demand autofocus is available, and the exposure can be controlled manually, as on the K-3.
Specs at Pentax K-1 detailed technical specifications | Pentax Rumors also list :
"Recording time : up to 25 minutes or 4GB" . Even if the bit rate has been increased, a video under 4GB would be very short, making it of little use.

So, I think "zero video improvement" is an accurate characterization of the K-1. Sigh.

02-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Maybe in the short-term. In the long run, it may cost them, not just in terms of camera sales but lenses, if people switch camera systems altogether because of video.
Most of the people that are serious about video chose their platforms (Canon, Panasonic, Blackmagic, RED, etc...) years ago, and Pentax missed that boat. Barring the handful of holdouts here, a K-1 with even competitive video features is not going to draw people away from their chosen systems.
02-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #66
Pentaxian

I'm not a videographer, but I use the video function of the K-3 reasonably often and have projects in the pipe where I would use it to produce something. If I needed more I would buy something specifically for that purpose.

The reported excellence in video of the Samsung apsc (as well as a bunch of other things it did well) didn't save the Samsung camera division.

I would suspect that Ricoh will purchase someone who does video as a way to get into that market.
02-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has been quite clear in that video is not a priority for them. They are not hiding this. It's not like they promise to get better and fail, they say straight out "video is not our priority". They provide quite adequate video for the casual user and focus on a different market, one that they can succeed in and know something about.

If anyone is serious about video they should be looking at serious video cameras.

02-17-2016, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The current Milbeaut does do 4K video. So if the hardware is actually limiting Pentax, that is because they are either using an ancient sensor or an ancient processor (and just call it new). Now those parts may be significantly cheaper, and they went that route to get to the low price point. But still it is disappointing. If they said... hey, hold out, we are listening, the K-1 is a bit of an entry level model, we are now working on a camera to sit above the K-1 that will have the latest and greatest, that would be fine.

I do think a K-1 with SR (for run and gun shooting... think journalists etc.) and proper video quality could draw over people from other brands. There is no FF DSLR camera with shake reduction in body, and also none that has a flip out screen. Only the latest A7 models have those things, and they aren't DSLRs and lack in terms of ergonomics IMHO. The K-1 will be a tough as nails pro level camera that isn't too big or too heavy, and if it could do great video (especially on less planned shoots), it would be very attractive. Let alone all that wonderful Pentax glass that is out there, and currently used on mirrorless cameras via adapters!

@jatrax:

These are serious video cameras. They are terrible for stills and come with price tags where you can buy a new car. In the case of the Arri a really nice new car.

Something like a decent Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or even Canon will do fine for most uses. Pentax has fallen too far behind though. My company is shooting corporate videos with a 600D. It works. It may still work with the K-1, but the competitors are far ahead, and most of all any glass invested into them is going to be useful a few years down the road. Just buy a newer body, and it will be significantly better. Pentax has hardly, if at all, improved video quality over the past 6 years or so. How can you trust them? I don't want to invest into a brand where I don't know if a couple of years from now my lenses are still going to be useful.

And that is exactly the problem Samsung faced. Expensive gear and lenses with uncertain future. Would Samsung stick around? Is it ok to invest into Samsung lenses? Will I still be able to use them in a few years, when I want to get a new body? Will they extend the lens line up? In hindsight, with Samsung giving up the market, it was a wise decision not to buy into the system.

If Pentax can't even be bothered to hire one guy to find out what video people need, and another one to implement those things in firmware, then do you really think they would buy a company that has experience in those areas?

Anyway, I will be taking a long, hard look at Olympus.
02-18-2016, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The current Milbeaut does do 4K video. So if the hardware is actually limiting Pentax, that is because they are either using an ancient sensor or an ancient processor (and just call it new). Now those parts may be significantly cheaper, and they went that route to get to the low price point. But still it is disappointing. If they said... hey, hold out, we are listening, the K-1 is a bit of an entry level model, we are now working on a camera to sit above the K-1 that will have the latest and greatest, that would be fine.

I do think a K-1 with SR (for run and gun shooting... think journalists etc.) and proper video quality could draw over people from other brands. There is no FF DSLR camera with shake reduction in body, and also none that has a flip out screen. Only the latest A7 models have those things, and they aren't DSLRs and lack in terms of ergonomics IMHO. The K-1 will be a tough as nails pro level camera that isn't too big or too heavy, and if it could do great video (especially on less planned shoots), it would be very attractive. Let alone all that wonderful Pentax glass that is out there, and currently used on mirrorless cameras via adapters!

@jatrax:

These are serious video cameras. They are terrible for stills and come with price tags where you can buy a new car. In the case of the Arri a really nice new car.

Something like a decent Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or even Canon will do fine for most uses. Pentax has fallen too far behind though. My company is shooting corporate videos with a 600D. It works. It may still work with the K-1, but the competitors are far ahead, and most of all any glass invested into them is going to be useful a few years down the road. Just buy a newer body, and it will be significantly better. Pentax has hardly, if at all, improved video quality over the past 6 years or so. How can you trust them? I don't want to invest into a brand where I don't know if a couple of years from now my lenses are still going to be useful.

And that is exactly the problem Samsung faced. Expensive gear and lenses with uncertain future. Would Samsung stick around? Is it ok to invest into Samsung lenses? Will I still be able to use them in a few years, when I want to get a new body? Will they extend the lens line up? In hindsight, with Samsung giving up the market, it was a wise decision not to buy into the system.

If Pentax can't even be bothered to hire one guy to find out what video people need, and another one to implement those things in firmware, then do you really think they would buy a company that has experience in those areas?

To get 4k out of a full frame would make it a $3k+ body.

There are lots of compromising in this model, all of it to get sub $2k high resolution. They did it and will sell lots of them.

The lesson from samsung is fancy specs don't get sales. And if you don't get sales you cease to exist.
02-18-2016, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has hardly, if at all, improved video quality over the past 6 years or so. How can you trust them?
I think they are very trustworthy. Not many companies I know are so blunt about their intentions. They said quite publicly, video is not a priority. If you don't believe them that's on you. If you want cutting edge video, look elsewhere. Simple. Why are you even arguing about it?
Good idea. Best of luck.
02-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Seriously, this kind of discussion again?

as Jatrax said several times, pentax have not in any point said that video is their priority. So, what is up? You can use this K-1 for video, and perhaps even get some nice stuff out of it. For me even K-3 would be enough, but max recording time is on the way, and that is why I would buy a proper video camera, or one that could record more than 30 minutes continuously. For anything else, I'll use my K-3 and later on K-1 too.

Is K-1 capable to take video. Yes. Is it the best option for that? No.
How can you make best out of it? Now that would be a good question.
02-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Seriously, this kind of discussion again?

as Jatrax said several times, pentax have not in any point said that video is their priority. So, what is up? You can use this K-1 for video, and perhaps even get some nice stuff out of it. For me even K-3 would be enough, but max recording time is on the way, and that is why I would buy a proper video camera, or one that could record more than 30 minutes continuously. For anything else, I'll use my K-3 and later on K-1 too.

Is K-1 capable to take video. Yes. Is it the best option for that? No.
How can you make best out of it? Now that would be a good question.
I don't care much about video duration. Quality and control over the video matters. And of course the look, and video cameras give results that reminds of smartphones, mostly because their sensors are as small or smaller than those used in a smartphone.

I agree, Pentax never promised anything. My bad for hoping that eventually they'd at least attempt to kind of catch up with 2013. Few years ago Olympus was saying exactly the same thing. But boy have things changed.

I do need a new lens, but I don't want to buy a lens for a (for me) dead system...
02-18-2016, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I do need a new lens, but I don't want to buy a lens for a (for me) dead system...
(Rolls eyes).

Just go - I'll pay for your bus ticket. People are sick of hearing your procrastination.

Last edited by clackers; 02-18-2016 at 02:51 PM.
02-18-2016, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #74

A case of Stockholm Syndrome? I applied the "boriscleto" treatment.
02-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #75
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Rolls eyes).

Just go. People are sick of hearing your procrastination.
"kadajawi" has the honour of being my first Ignore