Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-1 FF Video Capability

Looking at the K-1 pics, I do not see a way to turn on the video mode. Any info on what video capability the K-1 will have? Surely Pentax put better video in this $2000-3000 camera. I hope.

01-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look closely at the base of the grip-side mode knob. There is a lever and camera and movie icons, with a dot to show which is enabled.
01-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Look closely at the base of the grip-side mode knob. There is a lever and camera and movie icons, with a dot to show which is enabled.
I see it! Boy, that was hard to find on these low-res pics. Thanks so much. Any hope for movie continuous AF?
01-28-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
Surely Pentax put better video in this $2000-3000 camera. I hope.
Not surely, they have said several times video is not a priority. But maybe they will surprise. And just because it is expensive does not mean anything about video. I suspect video will be about the same as the k-3, there if you need it but not really competitive.

01-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it uses the latest Fujitsu Milbeaut processor set (available since last October), it'll do 4k video.
01-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looking at the K-1 pics, I do not see a way to turn on the video mode. Any info on what video capability the K-1 will have? Surely Pentax put better video in this $2000-3000 camera. I hope.
It'll probably work just like the K-3, with a video button on the back.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2016, 12:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just below the new mode dial, there's a lever for switching between stills and video.
http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxff/images/bg_05.jpg

01-29-2016, 01:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I see it! Boy, that was hard to find on these low-res pics. Thanks so much. Any hope for movie continuous AF?
lol, it took me a while to find it also. On high res pics :-)

i'm really hoping for a step forward, especially in pure IQ & maybe clean hdmi out.
I wouldn't get my hopes up for SR or AF.
01-29-2016, 03:46 AM   #9

What I really need is autofocus in video - even my MX-1 has it! and crucially so does the EOS 5D. This is very important to many users simply because I take my DSLR out on model shoots, family holidays and days out and I'm simply nowhere near as good at focussing for video as an autofocus system. I can't count how many Christmas day videos etc have been ruined by crappy focus!

Jonlg
01-29-2016, 05:43 AM - 6 Likes   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I wouldn't get my hopes up for SR
You're hopes have been realized!! sorry
Attached Images

01-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Like it. ☺
02-01-2016, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax has publicly stated that video is not a priority for them so I'd be surprised the the FF takes any great leap forward in this regard. It'll probably be fine for "home movies" and will benefit from the light gathering abilities of a larger sensor, but other than that...not so sure.
02-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
What I really need is autofocus in video - even my MX-1 has it! and crucially so does the EOS 5D.
The original Canon 5D had no video.
The Canon 5DII doesn't support continuous video AF, neither does the Canon 5D III.
02-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
What I really need is autofocus in video - even my MX-1 has it! and crucially so does the EOS 5D. This is very important to many users simply because I take my DSLR out on model shoots, family holidays and days out and I'm simply nowhere near as good at focussing for video as an autofocus system. I can't count how many Christmas day videos etc have been ruined by crappy focus!

Jonlg
You're asking for something that the leaders in the industry are still struggling with.

To expect Pentax to leapfrog everyone and automagically become very good will lead to nothing but disappointment
02-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Next to the Samsung label. But dont see any UHD logo, probably because the K1 is keeping low profile and hiding out its 8k capabilities!