Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
its just bad behaviour putting no 4K cap. into such a camera and 2 days after announcing it, announcing an incy wincy action-camera that will sell for around 120 Euro in about one year, and that actually IS capable of shooting 4K. bad dog. bad. sit.

---------- Post added 02-24-16 at 12:50 PM ----------

The problem is with the sensor that nobody needed (36MP).. i guess it also has to do with the data throughput that you can squeeze out of the 36MP sensor at one time because of the amount of active sensor pixels on it and how they can be accessed... Anyway.
24MP plus Pixelshift resolution would have done for me... -I actually dont care about APS-C resolution. There is so much FF glass on the market... Pentax F and FA... Sigmas already with HSM, Tammys... etc. loads of MF(good for short ranges)-Lenses... man they really missed the spotlight somehow.
4K is totally possible, but i guess not with that sensor.. I throw in 2 more cents and say, if the voices of those MP-hungry kids on the forums havent been so loud than we would also have 60p and maybe 120i and 120fps in 720p mode...
we also would have about 9 still frames per second in FF full resolution now. (but no, now it is as fast/slow as my old Z-1P) a55bu11 g0664mn

02-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
its just bad behaviour putting no 4K cap. into such a camera and 2 days after announcing it, announcing an incy wincy action-camera that will sell for around 120 Euro in about one year, and that actually IS capable of shooting 4K. bad dog. bad. sit.

---------- Post added 02-24-16 at 12:50 PM ----------

The problem is with the sensor that nobody needed (36MP).. i guess it also has to do with the data throughput that you can squeeze out of the 36MP sensor at one time because of the amount of active sensor pixels on it and how they can be accessed... Anyway.
24MP plus Pixelshift resolution would have done for me... -I actually dont care about APS-C resolution. There is so much FF glass on the market... Pentax F and FA... Sigmas already with HSM, Tammys... etc. loads of MF(good for short ranges)-Lenses... man they really missed the spotlight somehow.
4K is totally possible, but i guess not with that sensor.. I throw in 2 more cents and say, if the voices of those MP-hungry kids on the forums havent been so loud than we would also have 60p and maybe 120i and 120fps in 720p mode...
we also would have about 9 still frames per second in FF full resolution now. (but no, now it is as fast/slow as my old Z-1P) a55bu11 g0664mn
The processor will be another problem. I highly doubt that the K-1 sensor can't even do 60p. No sensor released in the past couple of years can't do that. But Pentax has a history of using outdated processors, and the video specs exactly match those of old Pentax cameras. Same processor, then.

The action cam will use a different processor, that's why it can do 4K.
02-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The processor will be another problem. I highly doubt that the K-1 sensor can't even do 60p. No sensor released in the past couple of years can't do that. But Pentax has a history of using outdated processors, and the video specs exactly match those of old Pentax cameras. Same processor, then.

The action cam will use a different processor, that's why it can do 4K.
Could be, but additionally it seems to me, the CPU(or whatsoever Unit) has to render back or cut off the output of a 36.4MP sensor somehow. And that also may be where all the power goes; !IF! (as you correctly mentioned)there is actually any additional computing power compared to that of K-3 models...
And my following assumptions should be wrong:

AFAIK its mostly the same with most devices... What goes in must come out and given the fact, that about 36MP receive light, that data has to be quenched out to somewhere or has to get processed somehow, isn't it?
AFAIK what comes off the sensor, is always preRAW and comes from the whole sensor surface... What costs a lot of CPU Power and time is saving it to either proprietary RAW(DNG or PEF - only takes longer because they are bigger) or to jpg(only faster because of smaller files)... So for 36MP I guess, there is a lot of work to do for the electronics. All this maybe needs a super-reliable, super-fast buffer memory. I guess that is where we would find the X-factor...
But as I said in some other post, just a tilting LCD or tiltnswivel would have done. Spare out the dumb wheel nobody needs and therefore add a button behind the "thumb rest" you would push while turning the wheel on the front(grip) to do your supercool-settings... Et voila, money saved from developing useless SHIKI and more bucks go into fast reliable buffer mem.(and maybe a stronger CPU)

At least 6still-fps in full resolution (36MP). If not 7-8...
02-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #124
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey guys, i visited that K-1 EOSHD thread, and found a Ricoh question and answer session on facebook. This is what they said. Is there hope?

Attached Images

02-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #125
Veteran Member

I hope that there is hope.
But:
There was a nearly similar saying when Pixel-Shift came out... They stated, that maybe K-3 and K-S2 would also get this feature via firmware upgrade... Hm ... still waiting. Like all those euphorics who believed that K-01 would get the GPS compatibility... Many K-01 owners who modded their cams by removing(let remove) the IR-filter are still waiting for this feature... ZIP happened until now.
02-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
What did you watch them on?
I watched them on one of my HP LP3065 30" IPS monitor, which is 2560x1600 resolution. Better than full HD, but less than 4K.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 02:29 AM ----------

I hope that there is hope.
But:
There was a nearly similar saying when Pixel-Shift came out... They stated, that maybe K-3 and K-S2 would also get this feature via firmware upgrade... Hm ... still waiting. Like all those euphorics who believed that K-01 would get the GPS compatibility... Many K-01 owners who modded their cams by removing(let remove) the IR-filter are still waiting for this feature... ZIP happened until now.
Yes. I think the answer in that thread about firmware update is laughable. I know not to take anyone's promises of new features in firmware updates at face value. I have been burned with enough devices before, not specifically from Pentax.
Unless it's a paid firmware update, most companies have little incentive to offer new features. I'll buy the camera when it actually has the features I need, and not before. Ie. after that firmware update is released, if ever.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 02:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
At the pricepoint of the K1...its opened up the market to add a little bro 4k vdeo companion...might I suggest the nx500???...it adapts pentax glass very well and has some great cheap primes too...the 30mm is excellent...no Wr on body or lens...and the 16/50 kit is the best kit ive encountered. ..cinematic 4k
@24p....uhd 24/30

---------- Post added 02-22-16 at 03:32 PM ----------

Correction...uhd 30 only....h265 codec gives 2/3 times more file space........and that plays natively on Windows 10...a popular conversion tool is Rocky Mountain (a free download).
Thanks. I checked out the NX500 specs. From the manual :

QuoteQuote:
When using a memory card formatted as FAT32, the camera will automatically
stop recording when the size of a video exceeds 4 GB, even if the maximum
recording time has not been reached. Using a memory card formatted
as exFAT allows you to record a video for the maximum recording time,
regardless of the video‘s file size. The maximum recording time is 29 minutes
and 59 seconds.
(When you select 1920X1080 (60p/50p), the maximum recording time is 25
minutes. When you select 4096X2160, 3840X2160, or 640X480 (MJPEG), the
maximum recording time is 15 minutes.)
25 minutes at 1080p is much better than 16min at 1080i that I get on the K-30 .
15 min at UHD/30p, also . But still, these are stupid limitations.

The bit rates are much better, however. The pro options are 60 to 70 Mbit/s in H.265 . Which is probably close to 80 - 100 Mbit. in H.264.

According to the manual, there is a 25p or 30p option in UHD. 24p is for 4K or FHD.

This could be a perfect 1080p camera, except for the stupid 25 min limitation ... Sigh.
The camera I want still doesn't exist.. Wonder who will first make it.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 02:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Anyway, as an example why having good video capabilities would be nice:

https://vimeo.com/channels/mercedesbenz/156395271

Shot on a Sony A7S II.
That's a strange aspect ratio for a video shot on a DSLR . 2:35:1 format ? Must be a crop.

QuoteQuote:
It might as well have been a Pentax, they are only showing it in 1080p anyway, and apart from one slow motion shot at the end there's probably nothing in the video that a (software) upgraded K-1 couldn't do... except for the low light stuff. We'll have to see how good it is. Plus they could have gotten shots they didn't because Pentax WR is so good. Shoots like this would be perfect for the K-1. Doing stills, doing videos, and traveling light without much gear. The K-1 is basically that A7S II with a mirror but without the 4K. Or it could be. No other DSLR would be as suitable for things like this than the K-1, because all the others would require gimbals etc., and the K-1 doesn't (again, if they'd activate SR).
I think these are radically different cameras, IMO. The K-1 is just DOA when it comes to video, IMO. I think the low price is a reflection of that.
02-25-2016, 04:39 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I think these are radically different cameras, IMO. The K-1 is just DOA when it comes to video, IMO. I think the low price is a reflection of that.
pricey enough in europe, for the fact that it doesnt deliver 4K, nor fast burst rates...
2200 US Dollars in Germany and Austria... that would be 2200 dollars... what makes a difference of 401 Dollars when the K-1 is available on the market, one may be able to get a used K-S2 alone for the difference of the US to the European price...or a brand new K-50 with kit lens and extras...

No i dont care about tax differences, really i do not - if you have a brain - you know that there IS a profit margin and g0664mn its not small.
As i know a guy from an electronics industry company, i know that the "self cost production"-rumours of all products up until know have been straight lies... an iPhone for instance is in no way more than 3-5% more expensive to produce than every other smartphone, most likely...

And not that i want to say, that they did not deliver a great camera for the year 2016, but missing 4K and being so dead slow in full resolution is a big fail.
4K on this cam would have been a reason for me to buy a 4K TV at least...

AGAIN: ABOUT TWENTYFOUR MEGAPIXEL WOULD HAVE BEEN SUFFICENT. ALSO FOR PRODUCT PHOTOS AND LANDSCAPE, ESPECIALLY GIVEN THE FACT, THAT WE HAVE PIXELSHIFT-RESOLUTION.

And lets wait for photokina and see where the others are standing.... if this show is over we may could tap on our shoulders, but i guess that the A99II will be a real killer(if they release it)

I just dont see it that an A99II, if released would not beat the sh.. out of every other ILC on the market - starting from video over to extremely fast burst rates and IQ
(if they dont make the same fail as RICOH and obstruct their way to the winner's podium with an extreme high resolution sensor...)

02-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have to do some professional video beside photos, forget about Pentax and buy a Canon 60D, 70D, 80D or 6D. I changed my K-5iis with K-3II also for manual control on video, but it doesn't mach Canon 60D on video. If on Canon you have image stabilization from the lens, on Pentax you have it trough the software (only in photo mode is used the sensor stabilization). And with software stabilization on Pentax if you want some detail video, like macro, you will get some nasty artifacts. Even if you use video tripod, in some cases you also need to enable image stabilization.
Another thing is that when shooting video you need to not use color degradation and custom white balance, because this will be edited trough video editing software. The sequences taken with Pentax needed more time on editing and my friend who do this always curse me and my Pentax. )) In case of those taken with Canon 60D and Canon 70D it's another story. From the start the sequences look much different and more pleasing from the Canon.
Canon has the most powerful IQ on video using DSLRs, Continuous Auto-Focus, nice image quality, etc..
If you want to simply shoot some video in vacation for fun, it's enough what you get from Pentax K-3 and above.
It's just my opinion after using Pentax and Canon on video.

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 02-25-2016 at 07:22 AM.
02-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #129
Veteran Member

If i would want to do serious video i would buy other tools to stabilize... Gimbals etc..

As i know a professional filmmaker who also shoots with Canon(Cinema), RedCams and Arri and a brother-in-law who actually works for Arri, i guess i know where professional video is at. THX.

NO, I dont want to do that professional videos... no.

But it would be nice if better video modes would have been available because, that would have brought more value to the RICOH-PENTAX brand itself and also more appreciation, what is good, because more people would have bought the new camera... and other PENTAX cameras.

We call it reputation in the German language...

Knowing what professionals work with, is no reason for me, to not want speed and serious video capabilities on PENTAX Cameras... Why should i hop from one camera system which handling i like, to another that just doesnt feel right?

That is because I just dont see the point in my life, where a good fairy comes and gives me the horn of plenty out of which wobble endless amounts of gold bars.
If you have such a thing, plz let me borrow it for a while, so i will buy myself a ferrari...
You will ask "Why a Ferrari? I thought you want to do video...hm..?"

The answer is:
Because i would not even buy a Canon for VIDEO if i would be rich. Because i dont do video so often, but sometimes i would like to... and i dont drive a Chrysler Grand Voyager, so i can not fit a whole videographers chamber in my automobile.

Its just a thought that it could be really cool and many people would appreciate it if you buy one camera(expensive enough) which could also shoot very good video with nice framerates.

AGAIN: PENTAX cameras are the cameras i like the most when it comes to handling and feeling.(K-01 not included9 LOL) nothing could make me go Canon.
the only thing i consider at the moment is Sony... let's see
02-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As i know a professional filmmaker who also shoots with Canon(Cinema), RedCams and Arri and a brother-in-law who actually works for Arri, i guess i know where professional video is at. THX.
I am speaking about video using DSLRs and not using professionals cameras. I am speaking about affordable systems which gives you photos and quality video shooting.
02-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #131
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Hey guys, i visited that K-1 EOSHD thread, and found a Ricoh question and answer session on facebook. This is what they said. Is there hope?
No that is some lame honey smeering to make people happy. It's like the question from Ricoh usa to wich future people would like in the K-1 last year while the camera was already finalised.
02-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
I am speaking about video using DSLRs and not using professionals cameras. I am speaking about affordable systems which gives you photos and quality video shooting.
In which way is it satisfying, that one would have to change system or acquire a new one, if he actually wants to stay with PENTAX?

...hm... I still don't like the handling of Canons. I also don't like the missing weather resistancy on most of their bodies... and where is 4K on Canon bodies? ... They also don't offer slow-motion(120p) videos... It is not that the K-1 could not compete with other makers... It's just that I awaited, that it will be many miles ahead of the others. Now it's only 1-2 kilometers...AND: in one aspect it's far behind... stills framerate...
02-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In which way is it satisfying, that one would have to change system or acquire a new one, if he actually wants to stay with PENTAX?

...hm... I still don't like the handling of Canons. I also don't like the missing weather resistancy on most of their bodies... and where is 4K on Canon bodies? ... They also don't offer slow-motion(120p) videos... It is not that the K-1 could not compete with other makers... It's just that I awaited, that it will be many miles ahead of the others. Now it's only 1-2 kilometers...AND: in one aspect it's far behind... stills framerate...
Canon just released 1Dx Mark2 with 4k at 60fps and full-hd at 120fps. It's their top DSLR and expensive, but I guess it's only the beginning and in the future will see those specifications also on the below lines cameras.
There are a lot of video makers which preferred to use DSLRs, especially Canon, for their projects. Canon realised this for years until now and give them toys for that. Sony has their mirrorless good for video, but the lenses are very expensive.
I also like Pentax for the quality of bodies and weather sealing. The image quality is top.

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 02-25-2016 at 11:19 AM.
02-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
Canon just released 1Dx Mark2 with 4k at 60fps and full-hd at 120fps. It's their top DSLR and expensive, but I guess it's only the beginning and in the future will see those specifications also on the below lines cameras.
There are a lot of video makers which preferred to use DSLRs, especially Canon, for their projects. Canon realised this for years until now and give them toys for that. Sony has their mirrorless good for video, but the lenses are very expensive.
I also like Pentax for the quality of bodies and weather sealing. The image quality is top.
Sounds like i will jump ship sooner or later...
02-25-2016, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

They are actually very kind not to put 4K into the K1.
Imagine all those people runinning, skiing, climbing, jumping around with a K1 on their head. This is dangerous, this affecting the balance and gives pain in the neck. So they thought about putting this amazing feature into a camera that small that you can waer the whole day without even noticing. kind... isnt it?