Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
When you make a video, whatever the subject will be, you will take sequences and then combine them in the final result. Sequence of 30min it's more than enough for continuous shooting.

Like I said, I like very much my K-3II for it's build quality, weather sealing and very good image quality when you take photos. For video it's good, but not so good if you want something more professional.
The image stabilization is good on photos, but for video in some cases it's not. For video, image stabilization from a lens is much better in case of my Pentax. I have found on the market a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 from the old series with image stabilization included

I don't blame Pentax if they do not want to include better video IQ on their cameras. But in my opinion, if they will do so and make them better also for video, they will gain more customers.
You need to satisfy the requests from the market in order to gain more money = money for investing in research and for buying new technologies.
You don't have image stabilization for video in the K-3 II. The system works very well, but Pentax has deactivated it. So of course in lens stabilization works better than the crap Pentax is doing right now. But if sensor shift stabilization were activated, I think image quality would be better than what the lens stabilization can do.

The thing with good video is that most of it is software, and that can be used across all their cameras. The K-3 had a bug that the K-5 already had, and they use different processors. So they must have ported at least some code... So the investment gets spread out over many cameras.

Btw., I did try a Panasonic GX8 today. Lovely interface, lovely button and dial placements (though they could be a bit smoother, easier to operate). Very intuitive camera. Sadly it looks like the shake reduction can't be used during video, and video functionality seems limited compared to the GH4 or perhaps even G7. I'm surprised by how good Panasonic is at making photographer's cameras. Things that feel like tools. Despite the similar design, the GX8 seems miles ahead of the A7 in terms of ergonomics. It just makes sense, and Sony doesn't.

Also, one more thing. It doesn't have to be 2K OR 4K. How about 2.5K? Or whatever processor and sensor can support, especially without crop? Yes, the K-1 may not do 4K. But perhaps it could do 2.5K, which we could crop a little, stabilize a bit more, or downscale for improved quality.

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-27-2016 at 06:17 PM.
02-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You don't have image stabilization for video in the K-3 II. The system works very well, but Pentax has deactivated it. So of course in lens stabilization works better than the crap Pentax is doing right now. But if sensor shift stabilization were activated, I think image quality would be better than what the lens stabilization can do.
Yes you have it, but works differently. The software limits the movement of the sensor. Otherwise the movement it would be too obvious in the footage. And the rest is digitally processing. I have read about it in one review. And in the case of K-1 the video stabilization is 100% digitally done. The stabilization works very fine when you take photos with the K-3ii, and I guess with the K-1 is improved. Ok, there are lenses with image stabilization, tripods, ghimbals to resolve this. But how about Continuous Auto Focus during video shooting? You cannot even focus by pressing a buton.
Now this is a big minus for Pentax.
I know a person who switch to Canon 6D after using K-5ii and K-3ii. The main reasons were, a lot more accesible lenses(better prices) and much better IQ on video, and of course full frame.
02-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are serious man or it's just irony? Because it's a good one
I'm not following. Not everyone wants fisheye footage. And the small sensor of the GoPro will struggle indoors.
02-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm not following. Not everyone wants fisheye footage. And the small sensor of the GoPro will struggle indoors.
You ever used a GoPro? I mean the top one. It's not fisheye, just very wide and it's customizable. And he does very nice job also indoor.

02-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #155
Veteran Member

You ever used a GoPro? I mean the top one. It's not fisheye, just very wide and it's customizable. And he does very nice job also indoor.
"The reason GoPro videos have a slight fish-eye effect, is due to the wide angle lens on the camera. It's actually called a barrel distortion, which is a result of having the 170 degree lens. This curve/barrel distortion allows for the 170 degree ultra wide angle shots that GoPro is known for. "

https://gopro.com/support/articles/curved-nature-pictures-videos

I've got a drawer full of POV cameras and the one thing they have in common is a small 1/2.3" sensor. Including the GoPro. I give GoPro credit because they've really tweaking their processing engine, but at the end of the day it's still a 1/2.3" sensor and it won't hold a candle to Micro Four-Thirds, APS-C or Full Frame in low light. Even a 1" sensor will leave it behind.

Based on the videos I've seen from MadBrain, I don't think that the GoPro will meet his needs, but we'll have to wait for him to comment.
02-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Yes you have it, but works differently. The software limits the movement of the sensor. Otherwise the movement it would be too obvious in the footage. And the rest is digitally processing. I have read about it in one review. And in the case of K-1 the video stabilization is 100% digitally done. The stabilization works very fine when you take photos with the K-3ii, and I guess with the K-1 is improved. Ok, there are lenses with image stabilization, tripods, ghimbals to resolve this. But how about Continuous Auto Focus during video shooting? You cannot even focus by pressing a buton.
Now this is a big minus for Pentax.
I know a person who switch to Canon 6D after using K-5ii and K-3ii. The main reasons were, a lot more accesible lenses(better prices) and much better IQ on video, and of course full frame.
The sensor doesn't move in the K-3. But it does have digital stabilization... which IMHO is so terrible that not having it would be a big plus. Like, it destroys videos badly when activated, and when deactivated it still has downsides that could be gone if it didn't have the feature in the first place.

We don't know yet if the K-1 has digital stabilization, though it is very likely.

IIRC there are, like, 1 or 2 lenses with image stabilization for Pentax, and they are out of production. Pretty much any other system is better off.

Continuous AF is not so important IMHO. Neat to have, but not crucial. And hard to do right, useless if not done right. There are plenty of probably much easier to implement features out there, that would be really nice to have. I can use a follow focus anyway.
02-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sensor doesn't move in the K-3.
K-3 Mark2 not K-3. Trust me, I have the camera and I use image stabilization also on video.

02-28-2016, 03:25 AM   #158
Veteran Member

K-3 Mark2 not K-3. Trust me, I have the camera and I use image stabilization also on video.
Really? Can you show us samples etc.? That would be pretty huge. Can you hear the SR mechanism move? Is what you see on the screen stabilized? What makes you think that SR is working?

I haven't had access to a MK II.
02-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really? Can you show us samples etc.? That would be pretty huge. Can you hear the SR mechanism move? Is what you see on the screen stabilized? What makes you think that SR is working?

Neither in photo mode you cannot hear the mechanism moving, because the movement of the sensor it's very fine and quiet.
I hear only the body focus motor

Video sample:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzyH7v8NX1irOXdad0xUYWZFMFE&usp=sharing
02-28-2016, 04:43 AM   #160
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Neither in photo mode you cannot hear the mechanism moving, because the movement of the sensor it's very fine and quiet.

Video sample:

Are you sure that's using sensor stabilisation rather than software?
02-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Video sample:

Unfortunately you shot it when it was bright outside, which aids electronic stabilization.

Can you try to shoot a video indoors, at night?

As an example:

The movements that help determine what system is used is short, quick left right movements. Not too far, so that the sensor shift SR can't keep up with how much you move, but enough for this to show up. Like, you can go fast, just don't go very far with the movements.

One way to see that electronic SR is working is that what you see on the display is not what you see in the final video.

Thanks
02-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #162
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think not having built a good codec as do other manufacturers is a silly mistake. Nor I ask the HDMI output 4: 4: 4 but I ask something that other cameras offer the same league. For this reason I will save you money in my K3II staying.
02-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately you shot it when it was bright outside, which aids electronic stabilization.

Can you try to shoot a video indoors, at night?

As an example:

Pentax K-3 - Electronic shake reduction - YouTube

The movements that help determine what system is used is short, quick left right movements. Not too far, so that the sensor shift SR can't keep up with how much you move, but enough for this to show up. Like, you can go fast, just don't go very far with the movements.

One way to see that electronic SR is working is that what you see on the display is not what you see in the final video.

Thanks
I have uploaded another samples. There are sounds in the back which I first suppose there are movements of the sensor. But appears in both cases, SR enabled/disabled, and now I have in mind that it comes from the gyroscope system, which gives you the levels (maybe I am wrong about that).
I can't find anymore the article about video capability where it's said about how SR works for K-3II in video mode. From there I got the idea that the Sensor Shift is used but not 100% and the rest is done digitally.

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 02-28-2016 at 02:39 PM.
02-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #164
Veteran Member

You cannot even focus by pressing a buton.
Really ? I can force a re-focus during video recording on my K-30 by pressing the AF button.

---------- Post added 02-28-16 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
"The reason GoPro videos have a slight fish-eye effect, is due to the wide angle lens on the camera. It's actually called a barrel distortion, which is a result of having the 170 degree lens. This curve/barrel distortion allows for the 170 degree ultra wide angle shots that GoPro is known for. "

https://gopro.com/support/articles/curved-nature-pictures-videos

I've got a drawer full of POV cameras and the one thing they have in common is a small 1/2.3" sensor. Including the GoPro. I give GoPro credit because they've really tweaking their processing engine, but at the end of the day it's still a 1/2.3" sensor and it won't hold a candle to Micro Four-Thirds, APS-C or Full Frame in low light. Even a 1" sensor will leave it behind.

Based on the videos I've seen from MadBrain, I don't think that the GoPro will meet his needs, but we'll have to wait for him to comment.
That's absolutely correct. The sensor size really is important. I tried a camera with a 1/2.3" sensor before - the Sony FDR-AX33 4K camcorder. It did not meet my needs, and I returned it. I thought about upgrading to the FDR-AX100, which has a 1" sensor, but skipped it. I did not think that would be worth $1700.
The 1" sensor is still much smaller than 4/3, APS-C or full-frame. I would not consider a GoPro due to the sensor size, and the optics as well.
The GoPro may be a great camera for outdoor use on-the-go, but that is the opposite of what I need.

---------- Post added 02-28-16 at 04:26 PM ----------

Also, one more thing. It doesn't have to be 2K OR 4K. How about 2.5K? Or whatever processor and sensor can support, especially without crop? Yes, the K-1 may not do 4K. But perhaps it could do 2.5K, which we could crop a little, stabilize a bit more, or downscale for improved quality.
Given that Pentax didn't think it appropriate to even do 60p, or increase the video bit rate, I don't think we should assume that it could do 2.5K.
I don't think we are going to see anything other than bug fixes in K-1 firmware updates.

---------- Post added 02-28-16 at 04:30 PM ----------

Can't speak about the K-3 or K-3 II, but on my K-30, I can hear the SR mechanism in every video - sort of like a washing machine sound - regardless of whether I enable video SR or not. In any case, the 32 kHz mono audio on the K-30 is quite awful, and not really suitable for anything other than synchronization.
02-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #165
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Can't speak about the K-3 or K-3 II, but on my K-30, I can hear the SR mechanism in every video - sort of like a washing machine sound - regardless of whether I enable video SR or not. In any case, the 32 kHz mono audio on the K-30 is quite awful, and not really suitable for anything other than synchronization.
might as well implement it already. I can't hardly use my k-30's audio anyways.