Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #166

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
Yes you have it, but works differently. The software limits the movement of the sensor. Otherwise the movement it would be too obvious in the footage. And the rest is digitally processing. I have read about it in one review. And in the case of K-1 the video stabilization is 100% digitally done. The stabilization works very fine when you take photos with the K-3ii, and I guess with the K-1 is improved. Ok, there are lenses with image stabilization, tripods, ghimbals to resolve this.
Unfortunately, on the K-3, a lens with image stabilization doesn't work. With my Sigma 70-200, I can see the image stabilization working in Video Live View but as soon as I start recording the camera software turns off power to the lens!

John.

02-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
Unfortunately, on the K-3, a lens with image stabilization doesn't work. With my Sigma 70-200, I can see the image stabilization working in Video Live View but as soon as I start recording the camera software turns off power to the lens!

John.
I don't know if this is the reason, but make sure you disabled the SR from body.
For using the stabilization from the lens, SR from body must be disabled.

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 02-29-2016 at 12:00 PM.
03-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #168

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
I don't know if this is the reason, but make sure you disabled the SR from body.
For using the stabilization from the lens, SR from body must be disabled.
Well, I had another look at it, since I hadn't tried it for more than a year, and found it is possible to use it after all!
The behaviour I remember when I got the Sigma 70-200 for my K-3, was that the lenses optical stabilization (OS) would be active in photo mode and also in Video mode up until pressing record. Now I find that its only enabled when focusing (either by half press or back button focusing). The OS loses power about 1 second after releasing the focus button. I guess that makes sense from a power saving perspective. So either I really stuffed up my initial testing or there has been change in one of the firmware versions along the way.
So now I can get effective OS by keeping focus active during recording. For video, I can ensure actual focusing doesn't get stuffed up (by the cameras rather clumsy video focusing) by switching the AF switch on the lens to Off and holding the back AF button down all the time. Unfortunately, it's not so convenient for stills mode anymore.
No idea if this handling of in lens OS applies to the K-1 though.

John.