Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #31
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, I got your point. I want to cut all Pentaxforum discussions about this pixel shift, short: JPEG is 8 bits deep, so, beyond 48dB of SFDR, all information goes down the drain once you compress you raw image to JPEG for storage or printing.
???

pentax pixel shifting combined with interpolation will lower visible iso noise when downsized, you can see that using the dpr studio comparison tool, so the photo will be cleaner before it's exported to the final jpeg resolution.

that benefit will not go away just because the photo is exported to jpeg, and the effects of interpolation/downsizing apply to all sensor sizes, not just aps-c.

02-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
pentax pixel shifting combined with interpolation will lower visible iso noise when downsized
Do you see noise at ISO100 in your images from K-3? I did an experiment with my K-3: I stacked 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32 shots at taken at 100ISO, on tripod, with remote control and mirror lock-up (I converted RAW into 16bits TIFF and I stacked the TIFF with only the final image converted to JPEG with minimum possible loss). Between 1 shot and x4 shots stack, I see a bit less noise in the x4 stacked image, but from x4 stacks onward, I see absolutely no noise. I made x8 stacked pano, and the result to noise free, totally slick. Everyone could try for themselves, it's rather easy to do.