Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K-1 and pixel shift

It seems as the new K-1 will have a pixel shift function and that we are all exited about that, and so am I.

But the K3 II has had the function for about a year now and still there is almost no examples of pixel shifted photos to be found anywhere. Imaging-resources has some very nice test shoots, but other then that... almost nothing.

Isn't that kind of strange?

02-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It seems as the new K-1 will have a pixel shift function and that we are all exited about that, and so am I.

But the K3 II has had the function for about a year now and still there is almost no examples of pixel shifted photos to be found anywhere. Imaging-resources has some very nice test shoots, but other then that... almost nothing.

The problem with pixel shift is that it requires a completely still scene and yes, there have been some examples that were pretty impressive. Ed (Qwntm) started a thread that turned into a big argument in which he compared a 6D and K3 II pixel shifted scene shot on different days. His impression was that a K3 II pixel shift image is just short of a D800 in terms of color depth and ability to process it.

My feeling is that a lot of folks skipped the K3 II due to the realization that full frame is coming and they need to save their shekels in preparation. I know it was that way for me.

There is a way now to post process these images and remove the artifacts with some software application that I wasn't familiar with, but I haven't investigated it further since I don't own a K3 II.
02-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Pixel shift is only useful in a limited set of circumstances, and you won't see the benefits with online samples because even a basic 24mp image without pixel shift far exceeds the resolution of displays. Studio shots that get printed at 24x30 or larger might show benefits from pixel shift.
02-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What DeadJohn said, plus - who says that there are no examples of pixel shifted photos to be found anywhere? There might be thousands, but the only way to tell is if the person publishing the image mentions it in the description.

02-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Pixel shift is only useful in a limited set of circumstances, and you won't see the benefits with online samples because even a basic 24mp image without pixel shift far exceeds the resolution of displays. Studio shots that get printed at 24x30 or larger might show benefits from pixel shift.

Agree, have a look at these OOC jpegs just downsized without sharpening and they look way over sharpened.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121475335@N07/albums/72157652504976384
02-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Yes I know all about it. The pictures has be to full size or 100% crops and one needs to zoom in real close, and there has to be very fine details if one shall be able to see any difference at all. But I enjoy pixel peeping so that is not a problem.

However, I don't find that many examples that I can check out.
02-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vcollerp Quote
Agree, have a look at these OOC jpegs just downsized without sharpening and they look way over sharpened.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121475335@N07/albums/72157652504976384
They don't look oversharpened to me. I usually see halos and weird shadows from oversharpening. Flickr is only letting me see the images at 2048 x 1138 maximum resolution. That's 2 megapixels so any gains from pixel shift are getting wiped out by resizing.

I do see what could be a pixel shift artifact in https://www.flickr.com/photos/121475335@N07/18993161442/in/album-72157652504976384/. Zoom in on the wind sock just above the center of the image.

02-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two things that more or less prevent the pixel shifting tech from being mainstream: the limited use cases and the fact that super resolution can be achieved by manually combining standard files taken with just about any camera.

Still, the potential of the in-camera pixel shifting is huge for certain types of users
02-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are two things that more or less prevent the pixel shifting tech from being mainstream: the limited use cases and the fact that super resolution can be achieved by manually combining standard files taken with just about any camera.

Still, the potential of the in-camera pixel shifting is huge for certain types of users

By shifting the camera one pixel between every shot?
02-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Is the elimination of the Bayer filter de-mosaicing step (which can't be done with multiple exposures in other cameras) of no value then, in your experience?

Pentax's pixel shift method produces an image with direct capture of all three colors at each pixel location to avoid the normal Bayer filter interpolation (guessing) of two of three colors at each pixel. I would have thought that would yield noticeably improved results beyond just stacking multiple exposures.
02-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess Adam ment stitching, and not multi exposure.
02-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess Adam ment stitching, and not multi exposure.
You can produce super resolution from multiple shots using software to generate the result, but I would make a distinction between super resolution and pixel shift. SR still relies on demosaicing and the inherent interpolation to arrive at the R, G and B for each pixel, whereas PS captures the actual R, G and B for each pixel and no interpolation.

Cheers,
Terry
02-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me the color rendition of these pixel shifted aircraft is exceptional. And that quality isn't changed by the lower resolution of the photos on Flickr.
02-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I suppose pixel-shift would only be useful where everything is absolutely still and where the resolution was required?
02-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #15
Banned

It's not strange. For several reasons. It was a gimmick to start with. There was no user base request for it. It has limited use in practice. If you need better image quality for the use it could be for then you could just buy a D810 and be done with one click.