Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

Quick question

Do you care about the quality of images with Pentax FF with film lenses or not?

I saw a lot of users complain that using film lenses on Pentax FF camera is ridiculous from other website.

For me, I don't care about it.

02-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The thing is that old film glass wont have the latest technology available, and for some that will make a difference in quality. Eventually if everything goes fine, i guess that Pentax will start updating many of their old glass with their new technolgy ( motors, coating, etc ). But yes some people say that film glass can not take that much advantage of the modern sensors in image quality.
02-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's some great old lenses out there. There will be no reason why many film era lenses wounld not be able to give good results on a new FF camera.
02-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think a good film lens will still fundamentally be a good digital lens (I include, for example, FA 77, A 35-105 3.5, M 50 1.7 etc).

But bad film lens will often look even worse on digital.

02-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I saw a lot of users complain that using film lenses on Pentax FF camera is ridiculous from other website.
Link? I had not noticed that. In general the good film era lenses will be good on digital, the poor ones will be poor.
I'll let you know how it works out:

02-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Link? I had not noticed that. In general the good film era lenses will be good on digital, the poor ones will be poor.
I'll let you know how it works out:
So are you going to buy Pentax FF for testing?
02-14-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So are you going to buy Pentax FF for testing?
No, I am going to buy it to make pictures with. But I'll be glad to test a few lenses on it as well.

Do you have that link to the complaints, I am really curious what the issue is. Or rather what they think it is

02-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #8
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No, I am going to buy it to make pictures with. But I'll be glad to test a few lenses on it as well.

Do you have that link to the complaints, I am really curious what the issue is. Or rather what they think it is
Unfortunately, they deleted the post and it was located in asian country. I'm trying to re-post it to see their responds again.
02-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am sure it will be fine

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-club.html
02-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Considering that many older Pentax lenses have already proven to perform great on Canon and Sony FF bodies, it is safe to say those people who are ridiculing the possibility to be at best willfully ignorant, at worst simply moronic.
+1. Well said.
02-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got a small pile of lenses from mid-60s screw mount Takumars through M-series, A-series, F, and FA that I am looking forward to trying out.

I have a couple I expect will be terrible, many I think will do fairly well, and a couple I think will perform superbly, based on their performance on film and on my APS-C cameras.

So yes, I care about the old film stuff, and I'm hoping the full frame camera will open up some new ways for me to use it.

-Eric
02-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, they deleted the post and it was located in asian country.
Too bad would have liked to see that. But if it was just one post I suppose it does not matter. Anyone who really knows much about good glass is not going to be swayed by random posts on the internet.

Odd they deleted the post though. You must have scared them off.
02-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #13
osv
Veteran Member

that's ignorant rubbish.

i've put dozens of legacy lenses on the a7r, pentax at 28-50mm holds it's own... the only place that pentax is definitely weak is at 24mm on ff, for landscape use, but centered objects would be fine.

the longer pentax glass is probably good as well, i've just never looked hard at it, there is a lot more competition there.
02-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that's ignorant rubbish.
I would not get too upset, he later noted that it was only one post and the poster had since deleted the post so he could not provide a link to it. How that came to be "lot of users complain" is a little confusing to me but oh well. [shrug]
02-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

maybe other posters lit him up for it, and he had to delete the comment, lol

in general, sony ff users don't usually think pentax for legacy glass, the pattern is to use whatever glass you had on your last dslr, which would be canikon for most people.

a-mount guys are thinking minolta glass, and all of the minolta 28/2.8 lenses suck, both af and mf, the 28/2.5 mf lens is the only good one... the minolta 35/2.8 primes are strong, but the corners never clean up like my m35/2.8 does.