Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought the flip-to-side, rotating screen design was the final solution to the adjustable screen. Can see it from above, from below, from one side (but not both) and from directly behind both when it is to the side or flat against the camera body, or it can flip over to protect itself from scratches (or nose smear) when you use the viewfinder. Not at all sure the Pentax design adds more than it takes away (cannot be flipped for self-protection) or that what it adds justifies its obvious greater complexity. I know WAS is the best and fairest plan, but on inspection it seems to me a design destined to go the way of power-zoom.

02-17-2016, 03:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

The flip-to-side, rotating screen design allows for flexible positioning, but it's nowhere near a "final" solution as it has disadvantages, too. Imagine yourself often wanting to tilt the screen upwards (perhaps you're shooting low angle). With a flip-to-side screen you have to flip and rotate the screen (then back when you're finished with it); with a simple hinged screen (like on the 645z) you'd just tilt it into position.
02-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

One of the shots shows a waist level positioning where it is solid against the body. The side flip out ones don't do that well, and the 645Z does but has other limitations.
02-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The flip-to-side, rotating screen design allows for flexible positioning, but it's nowhere near a "final" solution as it has disadvantages, too. Imagine yourself often wanting to tilt the screen upwards (perhaps you're shooting low angle). With a flip-to-side screen you have to flip and rotate the screen (then back when you're finished with it); with a simple hinged screen (like on the 645z) you'd just tilt it into position.
The Sony A99 had a design with very similar characteristics to the K-1's, but less robust. I think Ricoh did a fine job with it, but time will tell. It did have the advantage of allowing the screen to be stowed against the back of the camera, but the whole assembly was kind of delicate.

02-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes, it looks flimsier, though it does seems to be a bit more flexible.
Well, that's a Sony and not a typical Pentax tank-like flagship
02-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, it looks flimsier, though it does seems to be a bit more flexible.
Well, that's a Sony and not a typical Pentax tank-like flagship
Sure, but I wonder how the steel struts and bearings will survive dust and grit - that's probably the weak point of the design. I hope they won't use grease as a lubricant on the bearings, that'd be disastrous. I mean, it's a Pentax, so you can wash it under the tap, but water won't remove gritty grease...
02-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
Sure, but I wonder how the steel struts and bearings will survive dust and grit - that's probably the weak point of the design. I hope they won't use grease as a lubricant on the bearings, that'd be disastrous. I mean, it's a Pentax, so you can wash it under the tap, but water won't remove gritty grease...
Press release says it can withstand being accidentally held by the flipped-out screen!

Doesn't say what if any lenses can be fitted at the time, though...

02-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Press release says it can withstand being accidentally held by the flipped-out screen!

Doesn't say what if any lenses can be fitted at the time, though...
With a FA* 600/4 probably not
02-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

How about the lighter 560mm f/5.6 with a polar bear clinging to it?
02-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #25

Tilt Screen Questions

Does anyone have any experience with tilt screens similar to that on the K1?

Anyone have any concerns about it's durability?

How will such a screen fare in the depths of our Canadian winters?
02-20-2016, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianCollins Quote
Does anyone have any experience with tilt screens similar to that on the K1?
There are no other tilt screens precisely like the K-1 around. But I've used flippy screens on NEX for a few years. Never had a single problem.

As to durability, few people would go hiking with a flippy screen fully extended all day, nor would they carry their camera by gripping the screen alone, nor throw their camera loosely into a camera bag with the flippy screen hanging wide open, or silly stuff like that. 95% of the time most flippy screens will just sit flat, and out of harms way, like a normal rear LCD.
02-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think they were looking for something to differentiate from other cameras.

I'm looking forward to it. I wouldn't need it often, but it would be SUPER handy for macro shots near the ground and other similar shots.
02-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There are no other tilt screens precisely like the K-1 around. But I've used flippy screens on NEX for a few years. Never had a single problem.

As to durability, few people would go hiking with a flippy screen fully extended all day, nor would they carry their camera by gripping the screen alone, nor throw their camera loosely into a camera bag with the flippy screen hanging wide open, or silly stuff like that. 95% of the time most flippy screens will just sit flat, and out of harms way, like a normal rear LCD.
Thanks rawr. I realize it is unique. I was just wondering what might be similar and whether there were any issues. If I understand what you mean by a flippy screen correctly it's the type that is hinged rather than supported on "struts" like the K1. Correct?

Point taken wrt the screen being retracted in most cases. I guess what I'm saying is that the new design makes me a little nervous. While I like the flexibility it would provide it has a bit of an "achilles heel" feel to it. I'd hate to have what looks like a great camera brought down by what is a "nice to have" feature. Once I actually have a chance to see it and try it out I might feel better about it. We'll see!

---------- Post added 02-22-16 at 12:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I think they were looking for something to differentiate from other cameras.

I'm looking forward to it. I wouldn't need it often, but it would be SUPER handy for macro shots near the ground and other similar shots.
I agree. I can definitely see where it can be a handy feature.

Being in Ottawa you have a sense of what I mean when I wonder how the cold weather will affect it. Again, I guess we'll see soon enough.

---------- Post added 02-22-16 at 12:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
Good point! I also wonder about the design and durability of the cable that connects the screen to the camera body.
02-22-2016, 01:47 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The articulated rear screen is certainly an amazing contraption, and I wonder about durability in use. I figured this configuration would be useful for video. Also, I have some regret that it makes the camera thicker and heavier than if it had a fixed rear screen.

I have pre-ordered a K-1 so I'll see for myself, but my expectation now is the screen will remain parked against the body with little or no exception. I don't use Live View on my K-3...
02-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dougg Quote
I don't use Live View on my K-3...
Sometimes it's very useful, particularly with focus peaking. You should give it a try.

I was most impressed, I remember, when I used LiveView and focus peaking on the K-3 with my A 35-105, in my first few days of K-3 ownership.

And now that the K-1 screen is flippy, and also has LiveView focus peaking, soon my NEX may be retired.