Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tilt screen rationale

I figure all rumours need to start somewhere, so why not here. I was contemplating why the new tilting screen was designed the way it is. Here's what I think. It's actually feeding information to the ibis and has the ability (when turned on) to tilt/shift the sensor plane to enable any lens to be a tilt shift in all directions.

02-15-2016, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easier explanation:

Tilting screens (like on the 645Z) can't pivot side to side.
Articulating screens (like on the K-S2) need to be flipped out.

The K-1's unique screen design addresses both these limitations

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Easier, but much less fun.
02-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

how do you people think of this stuff? it's seriously mind boggling lol

02-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
how do you people think of this stuff? it's seriously mind boggling lol
By you people I assume you mean geniuses.
02-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by moray-eel-bite Quote
Here's what I think. It's actually feeding information to the ibis and has the ability (when turned on) to tilt/shift the sensor plane to enable any lens to be a tilt shift in all directions
There are some interesting ideas there. But probably not implemented.

My mobile phone has about 12 tiny in-built sensors (proximity/gravity/accelerometer/ gyroscope/magnetic field/light/GPS/WiFi/NFC/ finger-print/ touch screen, and more). I could certainly imagine camera engineers coming up with ways to creatively make use of such tiny sensors in a big flippy LCD like the K-1's.
02-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter

i thought the sensor for ibis only moved on two axes, is it even capable of tilting?
02-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
i thought the sensor for ibis only moved on two axes, is it even capable of tilting?
Olympus has five axis ibis. No reason Pentax can't go in that direction.

02-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The screen is an interesting design...
02-16-2016, 06:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Olympus has five axis ibis. No reason Pentax can't go in that direction.
But all 5-axis stabilization still moves the sensor in 2-axis + rotation of the sensor.
That is enough for compensating for 5-axis of camera motion.
02-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This talk of ibis and feeding indicates the real rationale behind the design - it doubles as a bird feeding table!
02-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by moray-eel-bite Quote
I figure all rumours need to start somewhere, so why not here. I was contemplating why the new tilting screen was designed the way it is. Here's what I think. It's actually feeding information to the ibis and has the ability (when turned on) to tilt/shift the sensor plane to enable any lens to be a tilt shift in all directions.
I have actually had the same thought, that they could use the position of the screen as input for sensor position. But I figure that while it might not be that hard to implement, it is still not worth it.
02-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter

i still highly doubt that the sensor will ever move towards or away from the focal plane. i believe fogel is right and that "5 axis ibis" means it can correct for 5 axes of camera motion, not that the sensor moves on 5 axes

can anyone actually verify this?
02-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

There's no need to verify, you are correct. IIRC the 2 "extra" axes means compensation for translation movement (horizontally and vertically), besides for angular (h+v) and rotational movement.
But the sensor is moving inside its plane, and the alignment must be very precise - or else.
02-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

A very neat idea - certainly gets you thinking - I'm wondering if, just taking it at face value, it wouldn't be useful in insect etc macro, where you sometimes need to put the camera places your head can't easily follow -but I've never used live view for macro,so I don't know how it would work in practise