Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
a digital LX
Now, wouldn't that have been nice... But I'll be happy with a K-1.

02-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #32

Maybe they will have the tethering done over the WiFi......
02-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by tazzmacd Quote
Maybe they will have the tethering done over the WiFi......
I believe it's possible
02-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
...bulky resolution, no 4k vid...
By "bulky", do you mean that the 36mp files have too much resolution? If so, your complaint comes down to "too much resolution for stills, not enough for video". The K-1 is primarily for stills. If your main desire is video you'll probably be better off with a mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR.

02-17-2016, 11:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

USB 2.0? I don't even waste a thought on this flaw(?!). Owning Pentax since 2005 and never ever used the isn port of the cam once. I would have to search for the port
Let's make a poll: "how often do you use the camera usb connectivity?"

It seems what they did with this K1 is similar like the 645. An amazing price and an incredible camera. Let the more detailed reviews and articles roll in
02-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As someone who hasn't actually owned a Pentax digital camera, I'm impressed with the price point. I'm brand agnostic and try to give credit where it is due. I also think that the tools Pentax created using the sensor shift stabilization are very innovative and unique for a full frame camera.

I remember when I got my a7 and it was considered a steal at $1600. I respect that Pentax didn't take advantage of the high demand for full frame and price gouge. Canon, Nikon or Sony would charge $2500-$3000 in a similar situation (in my opinion). I would have liked to see a little bit more impressive AF and video, but I think it's a great camera for the price.

I'm also interested to see the performance of the 15-30 lens.

Last edited by str8talk83; 02-18-2016 at 06:07 AM.
02-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I pre-ordered the K-1, plus the battery grip and the new lenses, from SRS about 12 hours ago.

Other than that, I've no useful comment to make. I was never in doubt that I would buy it.

02-18-2016, 07:27 AM   #38

I've always bought my Pentax cameras a year or two later. I guess the K-1 won't be any different for me unless I suddenly win the lottery or decide to get one of my cars repossessed. Oh wait maybe I should keep my car because it has USB 3.0. Oh man such a hard decision.

But on a serious note: pretty sure we'll see the K-1 price drops as we've seen in Pentax history especially with what seems like a new camera model every other year these days.
02-18-2016, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #39

Does anyone actually plug their camera into a USB port anymore to download photos? I pull the SD card every time and used to do the same with CF cards. I'm talking 10 years of this behavior. I feel like people bitching about this need to get a grip, the camera is phenomenal and aggressively priced, but you're complaining about a f*$&ing USB port?

This kind of crap is what keeps me away from these forums. Take your camera and go shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
...and what really makes me bang my head against all the walls and doors in my flat is the fact that it f... has USB2.0 !!! Imagine that!! Guys at Ricoh-Imaging are absolutely insane...
USB2.0 on the newest full frame with 36.4MP(nearly mid-format resolution) and USB3.0 on the years-old K-3...

whats next?
the FF successor of the K-1(if there ever will be one, given the crappy/insane/alogic specs of the first one) with 120MP may have USB1.0
whilst
the next consumer APS-C DSLR with a fine balanced resolution of 18MP will have what? USB 4.0(Maybe they set a standard with that camera...)? Thunderbolt?

02-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
I've always bought my Pentax cameras a year or two later. I guess the K-1 won't be any different for me unless I suddenly win the lottery or decide to get one of my cars repossessed.
I'm like you. Usually , but it's K mount FF, and it drives me crazy, I WANT it. Not like I need it, but wanted it since I discovered Pentax for old glass. Plus, my eyes are not getting better, so while I still can focus manually, I want it even more. Plus, life is damn short, who knows if I survive till price drops.
Still thinking, but omg, I want it badly NOW
02-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sweendiggs Quote
Does anyone actually plug their camera into a USB port anymore to download photos? I pull the SD card every time and used to do the same with CF cards. I'm talking 10 years of this behavior. I feel like people bitching about this need to get a grip, the camera is phenomenal and aggressively priced, but you're complaining about a f*$&ing USB port?

This kind of crap is what keeps me away from these forums. Take your camera and go shoot.
I think that the only issues could (possibly) be with tethering speeds. For 90% of us, it's a non issue. The only time I plug a camera in is to upgrade firmware on my Sony.
02-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Well, it seems like they have gone the route of keeping things simpler, basically making a full frame version of the K-3, instead of really innovating and making a more expensive, more revolutionary camera. Since the prices is only $1799, this should be enough for Pentax devotees who have been waiting for full frame for so long. Outside of the Pentax world, I think this camera will be met with a big yawn. To me, the 3 main areas where Pentax is really behind Canikon are Autofocus, Flash system, and Video Support. It doesn't look like there has been anything done in these areas to change anything. It's dissapointing to me, but not surprising. For me, full frame by itself is not a must have, so not much here for me. But again, for the $1799 price, it seems like a good looking, ergonomically solid camera, aimed solidly at the Pentax core that a good chunk of people can actually afford. I'm happy that most people here seem excited about it. Sounds like there will be a lot of pre-orders. I hope the PQ impresses.
02-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Actually it has to be called the "Why I won't buy a K-1" thread. Surprised it has not been started yet...............

Maybe, but Ricoh knows that too. And they do offer tethering, so if they include tethering but only with USB 2, makes me wonder if there is an issue with USB 3 that could not be overcome.
According to that hands on video Tethering is over WiFi - which beats cable tethering any day - no cables to pull out or jerk the camera off a table when you trip over it.

Pre ordered B&H 1796.95 on 2/18/2016 @ 11:28 AM Central STD time.
02-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by sweendiggs Quote

Don't let them keep you away ! the world seems to be worse off for caving in to the bad minority. I'm sure most if not all of these posters are employees from competing brands anyway.
02-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
Don't let them keep you away ! the world seems to be worse off for caving in to the bad minority. I'm sure most if not all of these posters are employees from competing brands anyway.
It's disappointing, but others have said this has happened in the past.