Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 03:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
User mode - Lens profile - Green button combo?

Now we have FF camera I have now turned to thinking about the use of my legacy lens collection , specifically the non A lenses.

It has just occurred to me that the FF camera might be able to do something innovative. Do people here think it possible to achieve the following:

1. Ascribe a specific M or earlier lens profile to a user dial mode to correct for distortion, CA, PF, contrast etc
2. Link the 'green button' function to the shutter button when in that mode. That is, depress the shutter button half way to get focus confirmation, then once confirmed, the camera will automatically activate the aperture setting for metering?

That would be really cool if it were possible.

02-18-2016, 03:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
once confirmed, the camera will automatically activate the aperture setting for metering?
How would it override the lens' aperture ring, Mark?
02-18-2016, 03:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the lens aperture ring remains 100% manual. You set it to the desired f-stop. The idea is you can take one step out of the work flow for a specific lens of choice.

For example. Lens is set to f8, but because it is a K or M lens the aperture is wide open prior to activation. With a half press of the shutter button you focus the lens and get focus confirmation. Keep the button half depressed and the camera then activates the aperture to meter the shot. Then you can fully press to get the shot.

This way you do not have to depress the green button after you have focused the shot.

Follow?
02-18-2016, 03:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, yeah, why not do both with the same button?

Employee of the Month nomination for you! ☺

02-18-2016, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks dude - that is my first employee of the month award ever - 20 years it has taken
02-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Now we have FF camera I have now turned to thinking about the use of my legacy lens collection , specifically the non A lenses.

It has just occurred to me that the FF camera might be able to do something innovative. Do people here think it possible to achieve the following:

1. Ascribe a specific M or earlier lens profile to a user dial mode to correct for distortion, CA, PF, contrast etc

That would be really cool if it were possible.
It would be cool for sure, but there's nothing innovative about it anymore. Ricoh had this (ok, very similar) feature in the GXR years ago and sony/fuji also now have something like it.
I'm not sure why they did not port that feature to Pentax dslrs ? After all , they always say in interviews how proud they are with the 2 000 000 legacy lenses out there...
02-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
It would be cool for sure, but there's nothing innovative about it anymore. Ricoh had this (ok, very similar) feature in the GXR years ago and sony/fuji also now have something like it.
I have Sonys that I use with K-mount lenses, Npc ... what am I supposed to look for?
02-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
nothing innovative about it anymore
I happily stand corrected. But why, as you say, is this feature not present in the camera anymore. I think we need to lobby for it. Simple idea and one that would make the camera even more attractive.