Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Does anybody know if the new/current lenses have these corrections built into their firmware and communicated to the camera like the focal length, etc?
Or are they are of the camera firmware (which means older cameras can't correct new lenses unless a firmware update is released) ?

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 04:20 PM ----------

Isn't this list little longer than 14 ?
Then whoever was counting was wrong Where was this info posted?

It sounds like these FA profiles are stored in the camera itself.

Unlike FA lenses, DA lenses contain correction profiles in their circuitry and communicate them to the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
FA* 24mm, FA 28mm, FA 31mm Limited, FA 35mm, FA 43mm Limited, FA 50mm F1.4, FA 77mm Limited, FA* 85mm, FA* 200mm, FA* 200mm Macro, FA* 300mm F2.8, FA* 300mm F4.5, FA* 400mm F5.6, FA* 600mm, FA* 28-70mm, FA* 80-200mm, FA* 250-600mm.

Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Is it sad that I have all but one of those? Soon it will be time to dust them off!

Also, the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and DA 560mm support lens corrections in full frame mode. Other DA lenses only have corrections in crop mode.
Cool!

I have FA 31mm Limited, FA 35mm, FA 43mm Limited, FA 50mm F1.4, FA 77mm Limited, FA* 85mm, FA* 80-200mm
I wonder if the F*300 will equate as the FA*300/4.5

Can't wait for the price of the FF to be announced locally.
02-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
2. Why not add the F series lenses to the K-1? I am biases as I have all of those except one
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
IIRC the FA's have something about their inbuilt circuitry that tells the camera stuff which the F's don't. Do correct me if I am mistaken.
I want to say that the F lenses would give enough info for the body to identify them, but not sure.

@Wild Mark
When you put an F lens on your DSLR and take pictures, does the lens name appear in the picture metadata? If yes, that should be enough to identify it and make the correction profile selection theoretically possible.
02-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
But then FA 50 and FA 35 ain't either, they are still on the lens roadmap
Yep... I stand corrected

02-19-2016, 03:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Is it sad that I have all but one of those?
Saaaad? Why?

Surely you jest....
02-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter

It sounds like these FA profiles are stored in the camera itself.
OK, then there is a chance that the F series can be treated the same as the FA series. I'll check to see if the camera imprints F series lenses in the exif data
02-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #22

FA* 24mm, FA 28mm, FA 31mm Limited, FA 35mm, FA 43mm Limited, FA 50mm F1.4, FA 77mm Limited, FA* 85mm, FA* 200mm, FA* 200mm Macro, FA* 300mm F2.8, FA* 300mm F4.5, FA* 400mm F5.6, FA* 600mm, FA* 28-70mm, FA* 80-200mm, FA* 250-600mm.

Is it sad that I have all but one of those?
Isn't it sadder that I only have two of them? Why isn't the FA 20mm in there making it at least a triplet for me?

Kjell
02-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Isn't it sadder that I only have two of them?
Isn't it sad I've got none of them?

02-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
OK, then there is a chance that the F series can be treated the same as the FA series. I'll check to see if the camera imprints F series lenses in the exif data
It should, but according to the manual there aren't any profiles for F lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #25
Site Supporter

It should, but according to the manual there aren't any profiles for F lenses
Thanks Adam. Perhaps something Pentax can work on and update in due course.
02-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the lens profiles only matter if you shoot in JPEG. If you're shooting RAW, you apply the lens corrections in your RAW developer software. (I only shoot RAW, so this feature doesn't matter much to me for instance.)
02-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the lens profiles only matter if you shoot in JPEG
Yes that is my understanding too. I usually shoot jpeg and RAW at the same time. It would be nice to have 'better' jpegs without the need to go to RAW and process.
02-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #28
mee
Pentaxian

Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Is it sad that I have all but one of those? Soon it will be time to dust them off!

Also, the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and DA 560mm support lens corrections in full frame mode. Other DA lenses only have corrections in crop mode.
This brings a situation into my mind with the forums.. starting in a few months, we'll begin to have reviews and images shot in both APS-C and in FF format with the same lenses. I suspect these lenses will behave differently on each system and thus will alter the reviews of them.

Therefore, Would you be willing to add identification format/system tags [APS-C] and [FF] to the reviews so we can know from what reference point they are discussing?

Of course, those of us in the know, understand that before a certain date those ones were not FF. However, anyone can draft a new review and not mention the camera from which they used as the base of their lens review. Having tags that are mandatory for the submission of a lens review could mitigate that to some degree.

My guess is the new 36MP FF sensor is going to expose some issues with a few (or more) of the older lenses..
02-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

It's even more complicated than that because some of us have been impure (as it were) and shot Pentax lenses on Sony or other bodies. So before, where FF did not mean Pentax, now it might or might not.
02-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This brings a situation into my mind with the forums.. starting in a few months, we'll begin to have reviews and images shot in both APS-C and in FF format with the same lenses. I suspect these lenses will behave differently on each system and thus will alter the reviews of them.

Therefore, Would you be willing to add identification format/system tags [APS-C] and [FF] to the reviews so we can know from what reference point they are discussing?

Of course, those of us in the know, understand that before a certain date those ones were not FF. However, anyone can draft a new review and not mention the camera from which they used as the base of their lens review. Having tags that are mandatory for the submission of a lens review could mitigate that to some degree.

My guess is the new 36MP FF sensor is going to expose some issues with a few (or more) of the older lenses..
Lots of interesting points made here and yes I certainly agree with the separation of reviews based on APS-C and FF.

However, I am of a different view re: FF sensor and legacy lenses. I think many will find the FF legacy lenses will actually perform better than expected. Reason - legacy FF lenses on the APS-C system were already being pushed to the limits. The 'sweet spot' concept on APS-C is a nonsense - rather, the APS-C format was actually accentuating the optical flaws inherent in the lens by oversampling the optical projection (i.e. lots of megapixels in a very small area) then enlarging that to a discernible viewing size thus enhancing the problems. With a larger sampling area, YES we will see edge detail not previously observed, but, we are now sampling the FF image circle (optical design) in the manner it was designed for. On this basis the optical flaws should be less apparent (although still there).

Of course I am only referring to the higher end lenses. Lower quality lenses will probably have issues.

Last edited by Wild Mark; 02-22-2016 at 01:34 PM.