Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I don't get it. If you use K-mount lenses on a Canon you don't have to use stop down metering? And you have to manually open the iris up to focus and close it down to meter and take the exposure. At least with the green button you don't have to play around with manual stop down.

Nikon support of their legacy lenses varies from body to body.

02-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #17

Honestly the green button works very well and fast, select your aperture, green button and your good to go...
02-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't get it. If you use K-mount lenses on a Canon you don't have to use stop down metering? And you have to manually open the iris up to focus and close it down to meter and take the exposure. At least with the green button you don't have to play around with manual stop down.

Nikon support of their legacy lenses varies from body to body.
No, on a Canon i don't have to use stop-down-metering. I simply arrange the picture, select the aperture (or not) and just - click - that's all. The camera constantly meters through the lens and when i press the button, the image is fine.

As i wrote, the "premium" models from Nikon offer complete support of older lenses, even remote TTL flash metering and all other new advanced features work flawless with lenses from the beginning of Nikon itself. The only thing to do is focusing by yourself - simple as it should be.
02-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UliBär Quote
No, on a Canon i don't have to use stop-down-metering. I simply arrange the picture, select the aperture (or not) and just - click - that's all. The camera constantly meters through the lens and when i press the button, the image is fine.
So, just chop off the aperture lever on the k-mount lenses and you can use them in Av mode on the Pentax bodies. If you use them on Canon full frame bodies you'll likely have to amputate the lever anyway. Then all you have to do is simply arrange the picture, select the aperture (or not) and just - click - that's all.

02-18-2016, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, and never use that lens on a K2-DMD anymore - thanks...
02-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's one (dedicated) button, Uli ... on all Pentax bodies, not premium ones.

Lower end Nikons can't even autofocus their old screwdrive lenses, let alone Canon.
02-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Yeah, and never use that lens on a K2-DMD anymore - thanks...
And if you sell them off you'll never use them on a K2-DMD anymore either. Besides you didn't list having a K2.

There are non-destructive ways to disable the auto-aperture but if using the green button is too much of a chore those are outside your scope.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-18-2016 at 07:45 PM.
02-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian

You can lead a horse to water,,,,,....

02-18-2016, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
You can lead a horse to water,,,,,....
Yeah, but i prefer Talisker - sorry...
02-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #25
Site Supporter

If i would be a Canon guy, i could take photographs - with manual Pentax(!!) lenses - a lot more comfortable, as with a genuine Pentax camera - that's simply ridiculous!
Am I missing something? What exactly will be comfortable to use Pentax old glass on Canon?
02-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know Canon, but at least they offer full support for AV modes, stepping down the aperture inflicts corresponding time values.
Nikon offers *completely full* support of older lenses on their "premium" models (D200 and above), they only "crippled" support of older lenses to the level of Pentax on the entry level DSLRs, e. g. D5x00 and following. Even the premium D7x00 crop series offers full support for lenses aging back to the 60s of the previous century and beyond. That's no rocket science, that's customer support, as it should be - simple as that!
That is an oversimplification. Read this article.

Nikon Lens Compatibility
Note that pre-AI lenses won't even mount on some models. Also features are limited and shutter preferred operation is not an option with even AI lenses. The date ranges of the lenses that work even only in A and M mode are not much older than the A series Pentax lenses. I guess the point I am making is that it isn't black and white. If Pentax makes a Splash with the k1 perhaps they will release a camera with extra features for $3000 or so but that's not this camera.
02-18-2016, 08:59 PM - 4 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

If you disable the auto-lever on a K lens you can use stop-down metering on the K2 in the same manner as you would a screw-mount lens. Set the camera to auto then all you have to do is simply arrange the picture, select the aperture (or not) and just - click - that's all.

Of course with the green button all you have to do is set the DSLR to Manual, simply arrange the picture, select the aperture (or not) and press the green button and just - click - that's all. One more button press.

I recall using film cameras where you you had to press a release to advance the film, cock the shutter separately, estimate or use a tape measure to get the focus, use a hand held meter or the sunny 16 rule to get the exposure settings. Then have to press release to rewind the film after 12 shots then reload the camera etc.

And one extra button push is too much...
02-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
And what support does Canon and Nikon have for their legacy glass? Inquiring minds want to know.
Canon: Nothing made before 1987. That's when the mount was changed physically to become entirely electronic. The mount has not changed since then so everything after works the same but you can't even put the really old lenses on the camera without an adapter.
02-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Yeah, that's definitely a deal breaker!
If i would be a Canon guy, i could take photographs - with manual Pentax(!!) lenses - a lot more comfortable, as with a genuine Pentax camera - that's simply ridiculous! I have a pile of - one of a kind - Pentax lenses (most manual, but also some Limiteds) and i'm doomed to use them the way like i did the last years, although in the "analog" age i was able to use the very same lenses super comfortable, with premium metering! No, this stop-down-metering is even less than a workaround - i'm out!
That isn't actually the case though. Pentax is the most legacy friendly platform in existence.
02-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Am I missing something? What exactly will be comfortable to use Pentax old glass on Canon?
By mangling the lens . . . :HornetNest: