Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K1: No aperture sensing for "legacy" lenses?

Hi there,

long time not being here, but now, as FF is here, i'm here again!
My only concern is: Is there an aperture sensing for older lenses in the new K1?
The specifications are - on purpose? - very unspecific about that feature.
Is there support for older lenses or not? :? If not, i'm finally completely out of this - sorry!

02-18-2016, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your first DSLR?

Yeah, if on 'A' mode, they'll use it.

The older K and M lenses will work in 'M' and 'Av' modes too, with the usual riders.
02-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 works just like other K-mount DSLR bodies. There is no aperture coupler so M and K lenses require stop-down metering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

See this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314317-crippled-mount-not.html

02-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you're looking for it to work like the MZ-S or Z-1p, I wouldn't count on it. The "crippled mount" is here to stay so no Av mode for pre-A lenses is likely.
02-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
No, not my first, i have two K100, K200, a Fuji S5pro and Nikon D3, but i want a FF Pentax with full support of manual lenses.
You tell me, the new K1 has the same - absolute lame - support for manual lenses as the previous Pentax cameras? :?
If that's the truth, i'll sell my supply of old manual Pentax glass for good. I've really waited long enough now...

...deeply disappointed... X(
02-18-2016, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UliBär Quote
No, not my first, i have two K100, K200, a Fuji S5pro and Nikon D3, but i want a FF Pentax with full support of manual lenses.
You tell me, the new K1 has the same - absolute lame - support for manual lenses as the previous Pentax cameras? :?
If that's the truth, i'll sell my supply of old manual Pentax glass for good. I've really waited long enough now...

AFAIC stop down metering works very well and I have no workflow issues with it. Sorry to read it's a deal-breaker for you.

02-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

There was no reason whatsoever to suppose that the "crippled" mount they've had in all their K-mount DSLRs was/is ever going to be upgraded. Not sure why you were waiting...
02-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #9

Being a flagship model you can use the exposure bar manual metering with optical DOF preview. That's something you can't do with the K100 and K200.
02-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, that's definitely a deal breaker!
If i would be a Canon guy, i could take photographs - with manual Pentax(!!) lenses - a lot more comfortable, as with a genuine Pentax camera - that's simply ridiculous! I have a pile of - one of a kind - Pentax lenses (most manual, but also some Limiteds) and i'm doomed to use them the way like i did the last years, although in the "analog" age i was able to use the very same lenses super comfortable, with premium metering! No, this stop-down-metering is even less than a workaround - i'm out!
02-18-2016, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

So you know about the green button, right?

If you're so disgusted that you'll put great old glass out for much less than they're actually worth, I'm right here, Ulibar! :-D
02-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. I'll be more than happen to press the green button if the glass is good enough.
Let us know what you're selling
02-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And what support does Canon and Nikon have for their legacy glass? Inquiring minds want to know.
02-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
And what support does Canon and Nikon have for their legacy glass? Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't know Canon, but at least they offer full support for AV modes, stepping down the aperture inflicts corresponding time values.
Nikon offers *completely full* support of older lenses on their "premium" models (D200 and above), they only "crippled" support of older lenses to the level of Pentax on the entry level DSLRs, e. g. D5x00 and following. Even the premium D7x00 crop series offers full support for lenses aging back to the 60s of the previous century and beyond. That's no rocket science, that's customer support, as it should be - simple as that!

Last edited by UliBär; 02-18-2016 at 07:22 PM.
02-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
The Nikon Df does have mechanical aperture sensing for the oldest Nikon F lenses.

I find the Sony A7 a better solution for my Pentax -M and older lenses. If the K-1 had an un-crippled mount I might have tried it. Not now.