Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was more than a little disappointed that they decided not to reintroduce coupling on the K-1, although once I read the development history on the Ricoh website, I understood why they didn't put it back.

If they had put the coupling back in, and better still reintroduced true TTL flash, the K-1 would have been a "For God's sake Ricoh, TAKE MY MONEY NOW!" proposition as it would have significantly enhanced certain aspects of my professional photographic workflow. As things stand, I am for the time being going back to my original intention of replacing my K-5 upon its death. When that sucker gives up the ghost (ETA or when it reaches about 90% of its rated life in shutter clicks), I'm going Pentax full-frame and not looking back.

Last edited by pathdoc; 02-25-2016 at 01:24 AM.
02-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
I cannot understand, how one can say that using old PK-lenses with a Canon body is better / more comfortable than using them on a Pentax.
Imho you have to decide, if you like focusing with the f-stop wide open and stop down only for (a second of) metering or have it always stopped down to the selected value (as it would be when using a Canon or a mirrorless cam).
If you want to have this 'feature' with your Pentax, you can easily 'Dremel' off the aperture lever and enjoy the same way of working that you get f.ex. with a M42 lens via adapter.

Have fun
I guess from my perspective, using non AF lenses is a pain. You've already established yourself as a masochist just picking one up. SO what I see here is degrees of masochism. It's like they are saying "I want to be a masochist, but not that masochistic." If this is a hobby thing, then you really don't care about performance, so just be happy with it. Every year my class and I made pin hole cameras. No one ever complained about lack of aperture control, meters or anything. It was just "oh this is neat." That's what i use old lenses for. My super Tak, the pin was cut our of it by a previous user, I still think it's neat. People need to get some perspective.

And please tell me none of you are trying to use these lenses for professional work.. please...

As stated in the quoted text...

Have fun, if it's not fun, sell your aggravating non-functional as they were designed lenses. Life is too short to obsess for this long about some silly archaic lens function.

I can't use my tennis rackets from the 60s or 70s, I can't use my cameras from the 60s or 70s, I can't use baseball bats from eh 60s or 70s, well technically I could but why would I? They all hurt me to use them. My older lenses are the same.

Last edited by normhead; 02-25-2016 at 06:35 AM.
02-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
I cannot understand, how one can say that using old PK-lenses with a Canon body is better / more comfortable than using them on a Pentax.
Imho you have to decide, if you like focusing with the f-stop wide open and stop down only for (a second of) metering or have it always stopped down to the selected value (as it would be when using a Canon or a mirrorless cam).
If you want to have this 'feature' with your Pentax, you can easily 'Dremel' off the aperture lever and enjoy the same way of working that you get f.ex. with a M42 lens via adapter.

Have fun
exactly. The some of the full frame canon bodies had to have mirror mods to not whack the back of the Pentax lens. There is various was to chip an adapter for the Canon to help. Plus, the Canon can't even use their earlier FD lenses. Nor do they have the Green button solution. The lever usually gets butchered by Canon users.
02-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #49
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How long has the Sony E-Mount been around? Since 2010? That is a heck of a legacy. Legacy refers to that companies historical products, not universal.
Why are you dismissing all the Sony a-mount, Minolta and Konica legacy? You can mount everything back to their rangefidner lenses, plus everybody else's lenses. That's what I meant by "best platform for legacy lenses"

02-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are any of the people complaining in this thread even remotely aware of the compatibility issues that arise from using older pre-ai and AI lenses on current Nikon camera bodies? the limitations are pretty much in line, and in some cases more restrictive than what current pentax cameras offer - albeit I'd say pentax has more going for it due to in body IS and facilitation of manual exposure AE through the green button.

On Pentax DSLRS you can use any M/K lens and M42 lenses with a small mount adapter, try getting a canon FD lens to fit on a current EOS mount camera, shut up and count your blessings. Realistically Pentax has absolutely no obligation to continue their support of older lenses....but they still choose to. The only thing that an aperture coupling would allow you to do is use your lens in AV and perhaps TaV mode with open aperture metering, you still won't be able to use SV,P,TV or even AUTO mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Why are you dismissing all the Sony a-mount, Minolta and Konica legacy? You can mount everything back to their rangefidner lenses
um, no you can't because RF lenses have an inherently shorter flange focus than SLR lenses do ( that shiny mirror flipping up and down kinda gets in the way). From what I have seen SONY are trying to kill off A mount, E mount is their current cash cow.
02-26-2016, 12:13 AM   #51
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
um, no you can't because RF lenses have an inherently shorter flange focus than SLR lenses do ( that shiny mirror flipping up and down kinda gets in the way). From what I have seen SONY are trying to kill off A mount, E mount is their current cash cow.
That statement was about E mount.
02-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are you dismissing all the Sony a-mount,

..really?

02-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #53
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
..really?
Read the whole thing ...

>>Originally posted by Blue Quote
>>How long has the Sony E-Mount been around? Since 2010? That is a heck of a legacy. Legacy refers to that companies historical products, not universal.
>>>>Why are you dismissing all the Sony a-mount, Minolta and Konica legacy? You can mount everything back to their rangefidner lenses, plus everybody else's lenses. That's what I meant by "best platform for legacy lenses"

Maybe my English sucks but what I'm trying to say is that E-mount did not appear out of the void in 2010 but has as legacy all the previous Sony/Minolta/Konica heritage that includes A-Mount/MD/AR/whatever/ including ltm and m mount by Minolta and Konica.
02-26-2016, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Your first DSLR?

Yeah, if on 'A' mode, they'll use it.

The older K and M lenses will work in 'M' and 'Av' modes too, with the usual riders.
This. Seriously. I'm always impressed how easy it is to use the old lenses in A mode.
02-26-2016, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter

Why are you dismissing all the Sony a-mount, Minolta and Konica legacy? You can mount everything back to their rangefidner lenses, plus everybody else's lenses. That's what I meant by "best platform for legacy lenses"
I didn't "dismiss it." However, the Pentax digital bodies can use any Pentax K-mount lens with no adapter. They can use the M42 (i.e. screwmount) using an Asahi adapter as well. The k-mount and M42 have the same registration distance. That is really what this thread is about. Pentax legacy support is pretty darn good and I still say its out ahead of anyone in that regard.

As far as the Sony stuff goes, it is not as clear cut at least to me. Scroll down to the bottom of this at the very least and look at those 2 tables.

Mounting Confusion: De-mystifying Sony lens mounts
02-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having the aperture coupler is a desire of mine too. I love being able to use the aperture ring as God intended on my film bodies. But at this price, for now (and probably forever), that ship has sailed for digital.

It would cost Ricoh money in design and implementation as well as potential warranty repairs. (Don't tell me they can just copy/paste the coupler from an old film body--engineering doesn't work that way, even for a standard such as a camera mount.) In terms of lens sales, at best it would be neutral and at worst some would forego new purchases in favor of used glass.

I just don't think the increased body sales to those who otherwise wouldn't purchase the K-1 is worth it for Ricoh. Obviously that's the conclusion they've reached at this moment.
02-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You've already established yourself as a masochist just picking one up. SO what I see here is degrees of masochism.
But it's neat!
02-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Having the aperture coupler is a desire of mine too. I love being able to use the aperture ring as God intended on my film bodies....
Although I acknowledge that a physical coupler is not likely to ever happen, I wonder if the lever in the camera could be voluntarily disabled? If it could be retracted to the closed-down position, then turning the aperture ring close down the aperture like on M42 lenses, and AV mode (and presumably TAV mode) could conceivably be used. Probably not best for the OVF, but it would be just fine if using the rear screen as evidenced by their performance on Sony e-mount.
02-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Although I acknowledge that a physical coupler is not likely to ever happen, I wonder if the lever in the camera could be voluntarily disabled? If it could be retracted to the closed-down position, then turning the aperture ring close down the aperture like on M42 lenses, and AV mode (and presumably TAV mode) could conceivably be used. Probably not best for the OVF, but it would be just fine if using the rear screen as evidenced by their performance on Sony e-mount.
Yeah, some people remove the aperture lever on K lenses for just that purpose.
02-27-2016, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is one thing you can do with an M or K lens on E mount that you can't do on any recent Pentax DSLR--TTL flash.