Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #91
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm sure this exact issue will be the first thing people start exploring after the K-1 ships. But, someone on the forum once said "Your worst lens on FF is better than your best lens on APS-c." I'm really interested about putting my worst lens :FA-J 18-35 on 36 MP up against my K-3 and Sigma 8-16. Now there's a result I'm going to be interested in.
Hah! I just went over to the other Forum (something I rarely do) and they're already speculating about a 24mp 8fps K-1n and a video beast APSc.

02-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And they had to walk to school. Uphill. Both ways.
In a snow storm. With no shoes. Carrying wood for the fire.
02-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At the moment my K-3 is plenty of camera for me and I don't think my photos will get noticeably better with the K-1 so I will hold my horses for now.

What I really like about the K-1 is the articulating screen. So much more convenient for shooting close to the ground.
02-20-2016, 11:21 PM   #94
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Depends on how you define 'consumer grade' I guess.
Everything is relative. I'd not define consumer versus pro camera by myself. Just looking at how Ricoh, Nikon and Canon position their camera models: 645z, D5, and 1Dx aren't aimed at consumer I suppose, given where they are sold and what services go with them. Then, of course, what pro photographers are using or not using is so diverse, I couldn't draw a line to what is a pro camera or consumer camera from this standpoint. A Pentax K-S1 could be used by a pro camera, I'm pretty sure it could deliver good photographs in a studio with plenty of lighting (same Fuji X-Pro2 marketing videos indicate).

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The edges that are cropped off in an smaller-sensored image can't be counted against a larger sensor This ^ has been debunked for years on dpreview - 'better edges' is not a good reason to go with a smaller sensor if IQ is really a priority. For instance, to stay with your your 1'' example - the image from that 1'' sensor will have more conformity from center-edge, but the overall image taken with almost any lens on aps-c with the same angle of view would be much more pleasing, unless the lens on that 1'' camer is almost supernatural - even if there's a larger drop-off in MTF out to the edge in the aps-c image. Same concept applies up one tier. Don't, I repeat, don't *not* buy a larger sensor because of 'the edges'.
I fully agree on that. My point was about the increase of image quality relative to the increase of price and people expectations. I was just stating practical experience of moving from aps to ff, for a canon user.

02-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #95

Leave APS-C for the K1? I highly doubt it! …But- I most certainly will add K1 to my APS-C within the next 1 to 2 years!

I'll keep my existing APS-C body for its slightly smaller form factor, weight and cost when kayaking and other higher-risk outdoor activities.
02-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Another avenue of shooting I have are waterbirds. Typically in the morning, first light they travel close to shore fishing. Typically they are far enough away that a 100% crop is good. From time to time they are closer.

Today the pied billed grebes, mergansers and goldeneyes were doing their spring impress the girls routines. The light was reasonable, but the limiting factor on the photo quality was noise.

Would two stops better noise characteristics make up for the loss of resolution? I suspect it would be very close.