Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #136
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 06:40 PM ----------

I think Ken has displayed his allegiances (to the big two) with this.

Well done.......long live Ken (not). Your career in photojournalism is growing shorter by the month. But good luck to ya!

The next target is DPReview...........

Last edited by Poit; 02-20-2016 at 12:41 AM.
02-20-2016, 12:57 AM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Apparently according to Ken you have to be an Asperger's case to want to buy a Pentax camera and gives it very short shrift. Of course, he hasn't seen or tested one. He does not mention the IBIS, the pixel shift or the astrotracer of course. Canon and Nikon can't do these things, but tt's not a Nikon, it's not a Canon, so he's not interested. Not very objective journalism IMO. From specs I'd say the K-1 clearly beats the D810.
That's because the K-1 is a competitor to the Nikon D810
02-20-2016, 01:15 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
who is Ken, obviously not a Pentaxian so who cares.....
02-20-2016, 01:51 AM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
who is Ken, obviously not a Pentaxian so who cares.....
He is in photography the equivalent of "Baghdad Bob".

02-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ha ha I have heard that he is an equivalent of Donald Trump in photography world...

Last edited by i_trax; 02-20-2016 at 02:40 PM.
02-20-2016, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #141
Pentaxian

That is true too.

All these three guys seems to have the same problem separating wild imagination from facts.

02-20-2016, 04:08 AM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Asperger's Syndrome, though not recognised as separate from Autism Spectrum Disorder in some quarters, is not of itself something that is intellectually disabling, in any event. If it was, we probably wouldn't have developed scientifically, to the extent we have: look at the Maths or Physics departments of just about any University, and you'll most likely see a higher-than-normal concentration of people with it. If you regard it as a part of the human condition, it becomes in a sense "normal" and not worthy of special mention, particularly not as the butt of a cheap joke.

If you read some of the works by Oliver Sacks, you get to see the results of discrimination on the basis of people's narrow preconceptions of "normal" – I particularly recommend "An Anthropologist on Mars".

There's a difference between "ignorant" and "stupid", although the two can often be present in the one individual. Ken Rockwell hasn't done anything with his column, and this particular gaffe, to convince me that he isn't that person.
It was said that Glenn Gould could have been affected by that... and he was one of the most gifted pianists in the whole musical history...

I've read Musicophilia and The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, both fantastic reads, I agree.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 02-20-2016 at 04:16 AM.
02-20-2016, 04:17 AM   #143
Site Supporter

Ken who? Who cares?

02-20-2016, 04:26 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It was said that Glenn Gould could have been affected by that
I know a fair few musicians that could also be described as such.

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I've read Musicophilia
same here...i'll have to read the others.
02-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I use P mode, too - but Ken should at least use the correct term for it - "Perfessional". Sheesh!
Sorry, I didn't mean to criticise the use of "P" mode... it has its uses and can undoubtedly be a very (P)owerful tool (see what I did there? ). But The Rock's suggestion is that this is the professional's shooting mode (along with recording over-saturated images as medium sized JPEGs) is just plain silly

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-21-2016 at 02:13 AM.
02-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #146
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
...But The Rock's suggestion is that this is the professional's shooting mode...
I think you missed my (slight) joke. But for my type of shooting, I do use P most often unless I have a reason not to, which is rare. Rockwell is a knucklehead and I'm surprised anyone here posts about him.
02-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you missed my (slight) joke. But for my type of shooting, I do use P most often unless I have a reason not to, which is rare. Rockwell is a knucklehead and I'm surprised anyone here posts about him.
No, I got it - we're good
02-20-2016, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #148

Original Poster
That would be moi. Sorry, I was just pretty taken aback and thought folks might be interested. I have referred to his site many times. His Nikon database is pretty encyclopedic. I generally try to look past the hyperbole, but this time I just couldn't. I'm not personally offended (don't even mind the Asperger's remarks) but I am truly offended for Pentax. When I think of the hundreds (thousands?) of people who've devoted years of their life to a project like this, and then they get binned by someone who hasn't even seen the product. Especially when the company has been struggling to keep up over the last few years, and IMO are producing pound-for-pound the best DSLRs on the market at great prices, which shows a lot of passion and a lot of guts. That sucks.

Last edited by plooksta; 02-20-2016 at 05:09 PM.
02-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #149
Site Supporter

I saw someone wrote customer review on BH site, for pre-ordered K-1
Some people are just nuts.
02-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #150

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Who is Ken Rockwell to make his opinion matter at all...
I think he was a blogger or something back in 2009. I think he didn't like Kodak cameras or computers.
Closed Thread