Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 167 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I saw someone wrote customer review on BH site, for pre-ordered K-1
wow, this is exactly what I have feared - now that Pentax finally has a full frame DSLR that will appeal to the masses: the floodgates of stupid have been flung wide open.

02-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unsubscribing from this thread, I suggest you all do the same. Good points made, but what more is there to say than the guy is ill informed and sensational? :/
02-20-2016, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #153
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
, but what more is there to say than the guy is ill informed and sensational? :/
There's a lot more to say but, as this is a family friendly forum and the rules prohibit profanity, it has to remain unsaid.
02-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #154
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
he is certainly entitled to his opinion, end of story
No, sorry. Not end of story.

He is not entitled to propagate misinformation. You cannot have a meaningful opinion about a product you haven't even touched, so you are not entitled to present it as such.

02-20-2016, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's the deal. The economics of his business are: "the more i praise, the more people click my links and buy the CaNikon crap, the more money I make". Every once in a while though you gotta slam something. Luckily, Pentax comes along with it's 4% market share and a flagship product which is even less marketable, so slamming it doesnt really impact him that much. Though it does give him 'credibility' as someone who doesnt praise everything. Why else would he go on this whole rant??? Either this or he is just a regular internet troll...
02-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #156
mee
Veteran Member

I'd say this guy probably had the last laugh.. 11 pages and counting over it. This thread keeps popping to the top of the FF forum. You guys are doing him a favor.. free advertisement.
02-21-2016, 04:05 AM   #157

The truth is Mr Rockwell actually lusts after a Pentax system but if he gives into this his comfortable 2 make world will change and this scares the pants of him.

He will have to learn all over again a new system, maybe even make mistakes along the way, he will be out of his comfort zone, he will no longer be the one people go to, a change in his life he cannot handle.

If he convinces himself and and as many others as he can that anything new is bad, and not to be believed, just maybe it will go away, and he will not have to face it, and his comfortable 2 make world will go on undisturbed.

He will again be able to sleep at night knowing nothing is going to change in his own secure little world.

02-21-2016, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The scary thought is that once he actually uses a K-1 he might like it, and he might buy one, and then that nutter will be in our camp.
02-21-2016, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #159
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If Ricoh put him on a retainer he'd change his tune. He's clearly another one for rent.
02-21-2016, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh could do better, if they really want to gain traction in the professional markets they will have to do much better.

Hiring someone with emotional tourettes like KR is just asking for trouble.
02-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Unsubscribing from this thread, I suggest you all do the same. Good points made, but what more is there to say than the guy is ill informed and sensational? :/
+1 from me. Unsibscribing to not to waste time for some anon guy.

Last edited by apete; 02-21-2016 at 05:09 AM.
02-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #162

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Here's the deal. The economics of his business are: "the more i praise, the more people click my links and buy the CaNikon crap, the more money I make". Every once in a while though you gotta slam something. Luckily, Pentax comes along with it's 4% market share and a flagship product which is even less marketable, so slamming it doesnt really impact him that much. Though it does give him 'credibility' as someone who doesnt praise everything. Why else would he go on this whole rant??? Either this or he is just a regular internet troll...
Not a bad analysis but I think Ken is actually a 'blurter' who lives in a dialectic world, where everything is wonderful or crap and he's the only one who really knows. Maybe a touch of Dunning-Kruger going on also. He is undoubtedly a pretty smart guy, but makes glaring and bizarre blunders which he is known for. Perhaps he is just not the expert he presents himself as.
02-21-2016, 04:43 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Maybe a touch of Dunning-Kruger going on
...just a touch?
02-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
wow, this is exactly what I have feared - now that Pentax finally has a full frame DSLR that will appeal to the masses: the floodgates of stupid have been flung wide open.
I kind of enjoy of that hysteria around K-1.
02-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #165
Veteran Member

I have asked Ken - since I searched his website - to elaborate on which lenses he considered inferior, other than he considers screw type lenses outdated. It is also worth noting, Ken does not shoot and process RAW images and evaluates lenses and cameras from JPEG. See my email to him below. It is also worth noting that he claims to have the most/highest read, single-man, photographic website on the internet, is supported by Adorama, B&H, Crutchfield, and Amazon, and might therefore have influence over certain buyers:

On Feb 19, 2016, at 9:31 AM, Peter S.

"Dear Ken,

Greetings from a big fan in Northern California!

I seldom write to you, but I am convinced that you have just committed a big error on the internet by unfairly and without proof, condeming a camera before proper testing, as well as making a sweeping generalization about Pentax lenses that I doubt you can back up in any way, shape or form. Pentax lenses are often superior and at least the equal of Pentax and Canon lenses -according to my own tests! It is easy to test this assertion by me, simply by comparing similar lenses and focal lengths across platforms. For instance, I have pentax K5IIs, the Nikon D7000, Nikon d610, and Canon 70D and 5D cameras and many overlapping lenses - ultra zooms, normal zoom, telephotos, and portrait and wideangle lenses. I have viewed the output both in Raw and superfine JPEGS. Since the Nikon and Pentax cameras use the same sensor, this is the easiest comparison to make. I will give you specific examples. The Pentax 55-300mm WR, beats the new Nikon 55-200m mk. II hands down in the range of 100-200mm range and is sharper at 300mm than the Nikon at 200mm. This Pentax lens is also much better in all areas than my old 70-300mm IS Canon. Further, the Pentax standard zoom, 18-55mm, is sharper, better built, weather-resistant, and has less distortion than the Nikon 18-55mm mk. II and Canon STM 18-55mm. Further, Pentax has some truly superb primes: the 20mm, their 50mm f1.4, your 15mm, the 30mm, and their 85mm, 300mm and 560mm, etc. I have also read and heard great things about their 80-250mm, 16-50mm, 55mm f1.4, etc.

Further, do not underestimate the quality of construction, weather-resistance, cold resistance, and the huge benefits of having built-in IS for all and every lens attached, and 100% viewing on almost all of their camera models! Also, for an old film guy like me and you, the ergonomics are much better -read simpler and faster to operate on Pentax camera, than on the Nikon and Canon comparable versions! Another small detail for outdoor/wildlife/landscape shooters - Pentax makes the only extensively weather-resistant flash units!

Yes, I do concede that autofocus is often, but not always, not up to Nikon and Canon standards, but fine for anyone who is not shooting sports or very low-light events or weddings!

Finally, I could probably make the sweeping generalization - and it would probably hold water - that Pentax cameras have better weatherproofing, are cheaper to buy, have better ergonomics, and better raw dynamic range than all Canon equivalents - and would not be far from the truth! (having processed files to back up this claim!) About the weatherproofing: I shot in Banff National Par, Canada last January at minus 15 degree weather in the early morning and was quite surprised how many other photographers had trouble with their Nikon 810's, Canon 5DIIs, Nikon D800e's, electronics, shutters, and mirrors, while I kept shooting away... Later in the year, while shooting at the Ocean in Washington State, many photographers Canon 5d IIs and IIIs, 700dII, and various Nikons did not survive the ocean spray like my Pentax K5IIs and Pentax lenses did over a week of shooting!

My advice to you, be careful about condemning gear that does not suit you style or needs, or with which you have no extensive experience with!

I can rightly say that the Pentax probably has better autofocus accuracy, a much better viewfinder (100%), ergonomics, and great weather-sealing than the Canon 6D and maybe even the future Canon 6D mk. II and is cheaper to boot!"

His response:

"From: Ken Rockwell
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 12:08 PM
To: Peter S.
Subject: Re: Any Proof that Pentax lenses are indeed inferior to Canon or Nikon and why did you keep the SMC 15mm? From a big and long-time fan in San Francisco...

Read my reviews

Pentax lenses proved inferior

That's th

Thanks!

Ken"

Sent from iPhone 6s Plus ��

So I took him up on his challenge and searched his site for negative reviews on Pentax lenses and asked him two more times to tell me which lenses he finds inferior, with one last waffling response from him and no further specifics!

I am also not thrilled how Ken's sweeping generalization has poo-pooed in-camera stabilization - which also affects Sony cameras, as well as Pentax!

My issue with this kind of reckless journalism by someone who carries weight on the internet,and who is supported by Amazon, B&H, Crutchfield, and Adorama, is that I am sure this will likely cost Pentax/Ricoh some sales of K1's and fine Pentax lenses! Hopefully not too much though...

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'd say this guy probably had the last laugh.. 11 pages and counting over it. This thread keeps popping to the top of the FF forum. You guys are doing him a favor.. free advertisement.
Dear Mee,

I think we need to consider bigger picture here - that his unfound rantings will likely cost Pentax/Ricoh sales of their cameras and lenses! Although,I think that people on this website will not be fooled by his dismissive and unsubstantiated ramblings! However, other buyers might be negatively influenced and biased - since he claims to be the number one, single-man photographic website on the internet! He is supported by Adorama, B&H, Crutchfield,and Amazon and probably also by Nikon, Canon, and possibly Sony (although he @hitcans their interface and in-camera stablization in the very same article!).

Last edited by mtgmansf; 02-21-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Correction.
Closed Thread