Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 167 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The funny part is that he has never had a K-1 in hand.
Why would Ricoh give him one of those precious pre-production k-1 models just so he can ridicule about not being a better made Canikon model?

02-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
He sure does get a lot of people all hot and bothered, mostly for all the wrong reasons. Many of the comments that have been made are guilty of exactly that which they purport to condemn. How cool is that?

His website is primitive by today's standards (doesn't appear to have been updated since the '90s). I haven't read many of his gear reviews, the ones I have read appear to be reasonably balanced (the K3-II for example). He seems to have an inflated view of his own talents. But for all that, he does have some good insights into the practice of photography.

Oh, and for all those who did not know this: "The diagnosis of Asperger's was eliminated in the 2013 fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) and replaced by a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder on a severity scale".

So technically, there's no such animal
I think Asperger's is still used as a descriptor within the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum disorder referring to people who have autistic characteristics, but relatively normal language development.
02-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I doubt that's true. I'm sure he had an opinion about it months ago. He, like a few of our members here (hmmm. maybe he is one and we just don't know it?), has multiple criteria that must be met for liking a camera but the only criterion that must met met to declare it junk is that it says Pentax on it.
Ah, but I formed my biased, blanket opinion about his biased, blanket opinions years ago! At this point, I'm disregarding things he's going to say in the 2020s!
02-19-2016, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Well, all the news flashes and hands-on previews that I have seen so far have been depressingly open-minded and even positive. And one has to look harder than normal to find the anticipated user's usual outcries: "Too much and too little, too late in a wrong body at a wrong price". But here comes good old Ken Rockwell to the rescue. What a relief: PENTAX IS STLL DOOOOOMED AFTER ALL!

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Is it possible to donate a negative amount to Ken Rockwell?
Hmmm, as the man says, he has a growing family to support. And since he is obviously not on any PENTAX/RICOH payroll, I might still contemplate do donate him a few positive bucks for saving my day, (before I continue my saving for the Pentax K-1).

02-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Oh its actually a 1:1 translation we have in Germany...
But for real? Who is this Ken Rockwell? Is he a camera tester? like dpreview?
LMGTFY:

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures
02-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Why do you have to link to that garbage site? It should be prohibited
02-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That is something DPReview would do...

02-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #68
Pentaxian

And this is all about the trash talk.
02-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
ah thanks for closing this knowledge gap. he has one of those websites we coded back in the late 90s as we started to experiment with HTML. Never thought I would be able to see something like this in 2016 still
02-19-2016, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #70
Veteran Member

While I don't pay much attention to Ken as a photo guru or anything, I find the tendency here to generally only accept gushing praise from everyone online about Pentax a bit too prevalent, and not healthy.

Nay sayers like Ken have a place. They challenge dogma and groupthink sometimes.
02-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
ah thanks for closing this knowledge gap. he has one of those websites we coded back in the late 90s as we started to experiment with HTML. Never thought I would be able to see something like this in 2016 still
Ar ha, may be some of his Canikon supporters are starting to desert him.... hence lack of funding to upgrade his website.
02-19-2016, 10:06 AM - 4 Likes   #72
Pentaxian

I'm ok with naysayers. I am not ok with "never used it, hate it, anyone who uses it is retarded".
02-19-2016, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #73
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For those of you wishing to replicate that Ken Rockwell look in your photos, here's a quote from his blog:

"I snapped these in VIVID Picture Control with +3 saturation. These are all shot with the 70-300mm G, so I shifted my Program exposure mode a stop to the right (on the rear dial) to choose higher shutter speeds to eliminate motion blur."

Of course, this is using Nikon equipment. I'm working on a set of Ken Rockwell presets for Pentax, but until they're ready, you could try setting your camera's colour palette to "Vibrant" and dial in +3 Saturation as a starting point. Maybe +4 Saturation... let's get those colours extra-vivid. And don't forget to use (P)rofessional mode, or you'll have too much creative control over your shots.
02-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I'm ok with naysayers. I am not ok with "never used it, hate it, anyone who uses it is retarded".
Once again though, it may profit us to ask: why does he dismiss it out-of-hand?
Is he just a crazy kook, or do his prejudices or preconceptions reflect a broader perception of Pentax that, somehow, the K-1 was not immediately able to address?

If so, there is a learning opportunity here. What would the K-1 (or Ricoh) need to do to break through that layer of automatic scorn people like Ken (and many others) seem to have for Pentax as a brand?
02-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For those of you wishing to replicate that Ken Rockwell look in your photos, here's a quote from his blog:

"I snapped these in VIVID Picture Control with +3 saturation. These are all shot with the 70-300mm G, so I shifted my Program exposure mode a stop to the right (on the rear dial) to choose higher shutter speeds to eliminate motion blur."

Of course, this is using Nikon equipment. I'm working on a set of Ken Rockwell presets for Pentax, but until they're ready, you could try setting your camera's colour palette to "Vibrant" and dial in +3 Saturation as a starting point. Maybe +4 Saturation... let's get those colours extra-vivid. And don't forget to use (P)rofessional mode, or you'll have too much creative control over your shots.
And be sure to use your pop-up flash...
Closed Thread