Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
He is just trying to get more traffic to his website by generating controversial statements. And successfully. All of you here discuss his nonsense.. Note that the website is his main source of income.
You say "All of you here discuss his nonsense" as if we didn't realise what he does and how he generates traffic. I've known about his website for years, also that it's main source of income. It doesn't stop me having an opinion on his output, and sharing that opinion. Same for plenty of others discussing it, I'm sure

02-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Not very objective journalism IMO
He's not a journalist and his aim is not journalism. He's an ad-click guy and that's all he wants: clicks. To his credit, he is better at SEO than anyone I know of, and the only reason his pages and opinions show in search results is hebcause of his SEO skill.
02-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #108
Site Supporter

It is all business! Everyone is not just brand loyal, especially amateurs and hobbyists. Since photography is coming to masses, we will see more tricks like this as the rivals of Pentax start feeling a little uneasy!
02-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #109

You know.. I rarely get too hot and bothered by people slandering products, but I too have to take offence to the tone Ken uses towards people with Aspergers' traits.

And really.. I weep for the people on the spectrum that Ken knows. I'd say that you can't miss the derogatory intent, no matter how he tries to "amend it". I mean, he could try to pass it as an "in joke", but that wouldn't fly on public internet either.

I, too, know people on the spectrum; fine and intelligent people and boiling down their variety to categorically "meh, resistant to change" is really callous and just plain bad.

I know all this was kinda already said, but I just had to vent a bit.. made me so angry.

02-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
You know.. I rarely get too hot and bothered by people slandering products, but I too have to take offence to the tone Ken uses towards people with Aspergers' traits.

And really.. I weep for the people on the spectrum that Ken knows. I'd say that you can't miss the derogatory intent, no matter how he tries to "amend it". I mean, he could try to pass it as an "in joke", but that wouldn't fly on public internet either.

I, too, know people on the spectrum; fine and intelligent people and boiling down their variety to categorically "meh, resistant to change" is really callous and just plain bad.

I know all this was kinda already said, but I just had to vent a bit.. made me so angry.
Completely understand. This is how I felt - still feel, to some extent. However, let's just say the people he's referring to are closer to home than you might think.

I can't believe I'm defending him now. This stops here!
02-19-2016, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #111
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm defending him now.
:bonk:

02-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
:bonk:

Thanks. I needed that.

Ken Rockwell !! Grrrrrrrrrgh !!!!

02-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The change he made was to add a couple of sentences at the end of the paragraph, as follows:

(For those of you who don't have to care for as many on-the-spectrum people as I do on a daily basis, those with Asperger's have great difficulty handling change. Many outsiders may miss my point: those with this disorder find it an insurmountable obstacle to dump their old lenses and get new ones instead.)
Bullshit, I don't buy this for a moment. It is possible that he knows someone with Aspergers, but there is no way in hell that he actually cares for them. His edit is just a way of justifying his words and suggesting that we just misinterpreted what he said. Sorry Ken, I'm calling you out on this one.

Even if what Ken is suggesting is true, that does not give him the right to offend others with Aspergers, or those who take care of them.

02-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Bullshit, I don't buy this for a moment. It is possible that he knows someone with Aspergers, but there is no way in hell that he actually cares for them. His edit is just a way of justifying his words and suggesting that we just misinterpreted what he said. Sorry Ken, I'm calling you out on this one.
From our e-mail exchange, I really think he does. But, hey, I could be wrong.
02-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Even if he does (and I doubt it), it's still inexcusable. You and I would just not think to do that.

Now, if he wants to make fun of himself and his own neuroses, that is fine with me. But I'm guessing he is too insecure to do that.
02-19-2016, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #116
Veteran Member

Doesn't Ken Rockwell make a living with that site? I don't think Rockwell will keep those comments about people having Aspergers up for to long. With comments like those his sponsors should drop him. Mental Health groups could demand a boycott of companies associated with Ken Rockwell.

Maybe Ken thought he was being funny with his comments for the release of the K-1. I don't know Rockwell's photography but I am guessing he should leave that and the comedy to the professionals.
02-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #117
Forum Member

I started supporting Ken back in the days of the Nikon D70, by buying with one of his affiliated links.
Then a couple of lenses.
But I don't know what is going on with him lately (maybe not enough people using his links?)... he's gradually losing his mind it seems.
02-19-2016, 05:33 PM - 4 Likes   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
But I don't know what is going on with him lately (maybe not enough people using his links?)... he's gradually losing his mind it seems.
...Because as of yet, there is no cure for Bovine spongiform encephalopathy.
02-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #119
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

02-19-2016, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
To his credit, he is better at SEO than anyone I know of
...and part of that is that his Web site is straightforward and fully searchable with near-semantic page construction and good metadata. There are advantages to low sophistication.

Steve
Closed Thread