Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 167 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #121
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
He also hates Microsoft and oozes Apple to the extent that he is a rigorous follower of dead steve. When you look - or search - for his Digital Asset Manager (DAM software) he uses Media Pro. BUT and it's a big BUT, the history of Media Pro goes something like this:
IView - the original version -> blessed by "the Ken"
IView sold to Microsoft and distributed as Expression Media -> blasted by "the Ken" as one of the worlds worst things to ever happen that would lead to the programs death.
Expression Media sold to Phase One as Media Pro -> "the Ken" loves Media Pro and extolls its virtue.

Phase One has/is incorporating the DAM features of Media Pro into Capture One and has not updated Media Pro since May of 2015.
"the Ken"'s favorite DAM software is slowly going away and Capture One's support for Pentax (especially the 645Z) is poor on several levels.
Now to be honest:
I bought the Microsoft Expression v2 suite just to get Expression Media. (My better half worked at Microsoft so I got it reasonably cheap). When Microsoft updated the Expression suite to v4, I bought it hoping to get the Blend program, but neither Blend nor Media were included. I believe Blend was sold as a separate product and at the time the Expression Media tool was being sold to Phase One. (The functionality of the non-Expression Media tools are now part of Visual Studio.) As an owner of Expression Media, Phase One allowed users to freely upgrade to Media Pro and get a huge discount on Capture One. I have been a user of Capture One since and prefer it over Lightroom, I have never owned Photoshop. (I bought a copy of Elements v5 and found it a royal pain to use and removed it after a few months).

"The Ken" is full of himself, a professed use P/Green/Auto mode shooter, only shoots JPEG and in my opinion really over cooks his images. (his saturation slider is always set to "11" - that is a Spinal Tap reference )

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 02-19-2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added snark
02-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
rigorous follower of dead steve.
Interesting choice of words there.

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
"The Ken" is full of himself, a professed use P/Green/Auto mode shooter, only shoots JPEG and in my opinion really over cooks his images.
The point is: can someone who shoots like this have a say on the photographic industry at large. The answer Io come up with is: no, he doesn't reflect usage patterns of typical photographers. He's out of touch with the industry at large, and because of that: his opinions are heavily shaded by hyperbolic personal tendencies and a lack of experience in the commercial photographic industry.

One thing I have learned in my many years of reviewing cameras and lenses is that your personal feelings matter little, if a lens tests well on the optics bench - then that is it, objectively speaking it is a good lens, as a reviewer saying otherwise would be perverse. Holding contempt for a lens or camera because of its origin or maker is immature and isn't in a readers best interests to follow that example.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-19-2016 at 07:21 PM.
02-19-2016, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It must be tough for Ken; being the only photography blogger on the internet with less credibility than RiceHigh.
02-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you had to mention that name didn't you?

02-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #125
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, somebody was going to. I figured it might as well be me.
02-19-2016, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
The Kanye West of photography...
That's a little unfair. Kanye is an arsehole, and a completely unscrupulous self-publicist, but he actually is a (very inconsistent) genius.

---------- Post added 20-02-16 at 01:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The funny part is that he has never had a K-1 in hand.
That was pretty obvious from reading his (thankfully brief) "opinion piece".
02-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the submissions to the fFacebook K-1 contest was a photographer who says he says Aspergers. I wonder if that is who KR was referring to?
https://www.facebook.com/don.barnard.14?fref=photo
"
Why I shoot Pentax.
The first SLR camera I ever used was a Pentax k1000, as a high school yearbook photographer.
The foster care system put me out on the streets when I was sixteen. I was homeless for most of the next few years. Asperger's syndrome, with some learning disabilities, and no education made life extremely hard for me....
One day I bought a second hand Pentax k1000 for $20.00 and within six months... I was in business making a living..."

02-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
One of the submissions to the fFacebook K-1 contest was a photographer who says he says Aspergers. I wonder if that is who KR was referring to?
I hope not. His comments are profoundly offensive, even if they were made in jest they are in poor taste.
02-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I hope not. His comments are profoundly offensive, even if they were made in jest they are in poor taste.
I agree. He should not demean, and be grateful he is blessed with what look like healthy kids.
02-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #130
Pentaxian

Ken Rock(for brains)....well well well

y don't you have a look at youtube "Pentax K3ll Pixel Shift print test"....which shows the Canon he mentioned up against an "old" pentax model

this video to me clearly shows the K3II superior IQ over the FF Canon....i'd like to see the same test on the Nikon he mentioned..????

the big picture to some people never appears in their small minds!
02-19-2016, 09:31 PM - 2 Likes   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Asperger's Syndrome, though not recognised as separate from Autism Spectrum Disorder in some quarters, is not of itself something that is intellectually disabling, in any event. If it was, we probably wouldn't have developed scientifically, to the extent we have: look at the Maths or Physics departments of just about any University, and you'll most likely see a higher-than-normal concentration of people with it. If you regard it as a part of the human condition, it becomes in a sense "normal" and not worthy of special mention, particularly not as the butt of a cheap joke.

If you read some of the works by Oliver Sacks, you get to see the results of discrimination on the basis of people's narrow preconceptions of "normal" – I particularly recommend "An Anthropologist on Mars".

There's a difference between "ignorant" and "stupid", although the two can often be present in the one individual. Ken Rockwell hasn't done anything with his column, and this particular gaffe, to convince me that he isn't that person.
02-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #132
Veteran Member

I have mild Aspergers. Maybe others do, too.

I can be a tad pedantic.....
02-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I have mild Aspergers. Maybe others do, too.

I can be a tad pedantic.....
Not so much that I noticed. Should I worry?
02-19-2016, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Not so much that I noticed. Should I worry?
With so many Americans to target on this forum, I don't have time to correct Aussies.
02-19-2016, 11:36 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Oh for the love of God, he doesn't really say that, does he?

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oh... My... God...

P for Peckerhead
I use P mode, too - but Ken should at least use the correct term for it - "Perfessional". Sheesh!
Closed Thread