Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 167 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
Pentax wants to put a serious competition in full-frame area they need to work hard.
The impression I get from your little rant is that you want Pentax to put all their efforts into becoming a second rate copy of Canikon, rather than a first rate Pentax?

Look, I shoot top of the line Canon and Nikon Cameras, Pentax offers some Compelling advantages over both Canon and Nikon. Your lack of knowledge and experience with any of the three systems mentioned in your rant shows. Pentax SDM lenses are every bit as quiet as any other ultrasonically driven lens motor. The reason why Canon camera out with STM lenses is because their USM lens motors were still making too much noise for camera video recording - but that doesn't really matter in the end: as any dedicated cinematographer will be using manual Cine lenses ( without AF) with off camera mics, or at least shock mounted mics with pick up designs that reject sounds coming from behind them so acoustic noise from the camera is rendered a non-issue.

02-24-2016, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #227
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Also Ken doesn't said K-1 it's worst than competition line.
From his review:
"I'd pass; a 6D or D750 are superior cameras and parts of superior systems, "
" they've played fourth fiddle behind Canon, LEICA and Nikon"
" I have yet to see a Pentax DSLR that handles as well as a Nikon or Canon."
"Pentax' manual focus lenses are also inferior to Nikon's AI and AI-s and Canon's FD lenses."

It seems you've read his review as thoroughly as he tested the K-1.
02-24-2016, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of discussion and much ado about nothing really. No? Are we that insecure??

I think this Rockwell guy knows that we are rather a sensitive bunch. He is getting a good laugh I imagine at our expense. I say we close out the thread.
02-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I say we close out the thread.
I agree.

What we have here is an unjustified put-down of Pentax.

And Ken Rockwell is not alone in doing this kind of thing.

It only goes to indicate that Pentax is being perceived as a threat.

Leave them be.

Let's stop this thread. We've got lots of photographic work to do ahead of us with the Pentax K-1, and not forgetting APS-C, MF and film.

Part of that includes welcoming and assisting newcomers inevitably coming into Pentax. Like the old saying goes, "You can't fool all the people all of the time." Pentax is a good brand with good products - that fact stands, and folks will see it.

Last edited by KDAFA; 02-24-2016 at 12:22 PM.
02-24-2016, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #230
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right. You know nothing about the Pentax line so, obviously, Canon and Nikon are better.
Sound logic.
Hey, talking about what you have no clue about, apparently helps feed Ken's growing family. So why can't it work for Ovidiu as well?

Also Ken doesn't said K-1 it's worst than competition line. And me neither. He said general stuff about technology and lenses from all of them.
All the best.
Ken's ever only reviewed one Pentax camera, and reviewed it with cheap consumer lenses (plus the 100 macro). He's only ever reviewed screw driver lenses and says they're all screw driver lenses. And his point that Pentax is horribly behind is based on his analysis of the Pentax boxes that the lenses come in. Go search the history in his site. I'm not even kidding.

Maybe you should do your research about Pentax and about Ken before you make yourself look a bit silly...
02-24-2016, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
pigs can fly.
Yes, I saw one....had a gimbal with a 6D attached!
02-24-2016, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first camera was a Nikon D5100 because my cousin had also a Nikon. But before buying it I was looking at Pentax models and like them for quality build and weather sealing. After two years I decided to switch to Pentax, Pentax K-5IIs and love it.
Now I have Pentax K-3II because has also full manual control for video. I need this for a project which involved also video (not weddings and other events). I use it in the rain and snow without problems, super super camera.
I don't want to argue with you because I don't have your experience in Pentax usage. Ken it's wrong to insult the Pentax users, but I don't take in consideration those affirmations. I also want that K-1 to be a serious competitor to Canon and Nikon.
In my opinion Nikon has good technology but they are using low quality materials on their entry level cameras and relied much on China and Thailand makers(low quality). In case of Canon is another story because theirs entry level cameras have much better materials and construction and they make them in Taiwan(not China). The top ones are made in Japan in both cases. Pentax is above both, on quality materials and construction, solid cameras and I like this. Every maker has some features, specifications above the others.
All the best.

02-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #233
bxf
Veteran Member

Pixel Shift Resolution and Astro-Tracer are very nice features, but these cannot be a spear-head for Pentax, because you can use them only in few situations
And super fast AF is needed all the time?
02-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #234
Pentaxian

16 pages and GROWING

Just like ken rocksinhisheads family...but what intrigues me is how his family is growing?

Is it in numbers? or Just in size?

It occurred to me that Kenny boy could be a sperm donor, on a daily or bi-daily basis?

They do PAY!

So to feed his growing family does KEN, cruise down to the sperm donating facility...then do what he has to do?

Bring home the Bacon, Kenny....keep DONATING !
02-24-2016, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #235

Ken Rockwell has Inspired Me

until this thread was started I had no idea of who he is...a little search and I get the gist of this thread...now the inspiration part...I am going to put on my raggy clothes...about what I wear anyway,,,I am going to get a tin cup and make a sign saying I suffer from LBA please donate...street corner here I come...
02-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #236
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
16 pages and GROWING

Just like ken rocksinhisheads family...but what intrigues me is how his family is growing?

Is it in numbers? or Just in size?

It occurred to me that Kenny boy could be a sperm donor, on a daily or bi-daily basis?

They do PAY!

So to feed his growing family does KEN, cruise down to the sperm donating facility...then do what he has to do?

Bring home the Bacon, Kenny....keep DONATING !
Ken Rockwell may be a jerk when it comes to photography, and I think it's only fair to stick the boot in when it comes to his photographic misconceptions, but this sort of personal attack is uncalled for.

You sicken me.
02-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #237
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's become almost disgusting, I'd second/third the request for a lock before this degenerates even further...
02-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #238

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Apparently according to Ken you have to be an Asperger's case to want to buy a Pentax camera and gives it very short shrift. Of course, he hasn't seen or tested one. He does not mention the IBIS, the pixel shift or the astrotracer of course. Canon and Nikon can't do these things, but tt's not a Nikon, it's not a Canon, so he's not interested. Not very objective journalism IMO. From specs I'd say the K-1 clearly beats the D810.

I think the Pentax price point is fantastic. I prob wont buy one, but if I wanted a FF sure, would be all over it.

---------- Post added 02-24-16 at 04:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Ken Rockwell may be a jerk when it comes to photography, and I think it's only fair to stick the boot in when it comes to his photographic misconceptions, but this sort of personal attack is uncalled for.

You sicken me.

Rockwell is a good 'anal know it all' for 'photo stuff'...that is it. His pix are nothing special.
02-24-2016, 04:23 PM - 5 Likes   #239
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It's become almost disgusting, I'd second/third the request for a lock before this degenerates even further...
I'll "fourth it", and since I'm the one with the key............................

closed
02-26-2016, 02:59 AM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
You and Ken are on the same page. Touching.
LOL
Closed Thread